Amenities on site?

Amenities on site?

Hi all! I have an issue I need some advice on. We rent a studio apt in a tourist area and offer quite a few amenities: we are on a lake and allow guests the use of two kayaks, a paddle boat & a row boat. We offer life vests and paddles too. We have other kayaks for ourselves, so four in total. After booking, our recent guests asked if they could invite another couple over for a campfire, I said yes. When our guests arrived, they asked where the four paddles for the four kayaks were and I told them that there were two paddles for the two kayaks for guests‘ use. The next day, their friends came over at 10 in the morning and our guests asked if their friends could use the kayaks, and they’d use the paddle boat. I said no because the paying guests are covered by our insurance, but their friends are not. I did let their friends use the paddle boat because it is safer. They all stayed for most of the day. We also have a designated charcoal grill & fire pit for guests. We provide charcoal, lighter fluid, fire starters (homemade) and wood to burn. The guest had asked about using them. Now, it appears that they took the charcoal, lighter fluid & grill utensils and my whole basket of fire starters somewhere else for their cookout and campfire! This sense of entitlement baffles me! Am I asking too much to expect that the amenities we provide be used here?? I’ve been doing this for just over a year so this has not come up before. Has anyone else had these issues? And what did you do?

6 Replies 6
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Donna480 

Firstly, your place looks amazing!

I am so sorry someone thinks its ok to take advantage of your generosity but also I think your expectations may not be as well defined hence why some may feel so compelled as to abuse it (still does not make it acceptable). From my experience, talking, specifying such things in my rules and printing/posting them around the house or common areas helps in really making these points get through to the guests, I also mention these upon or before booking. 

Regarding the uninvited guests coming to use your equipment, either specify clearly this is not allowed and stick to it or accept it but maybe consider getting a simple "Accident waiver and release from liability" form which they must sign before giving them access to this area and your equipment. I doubt an accident will happen but its always better to protect yourself from any potential lawsuit. 

@Fred13 your place seems quite similar, any input you could add to this?

Thanks, 

Yadira 

Thank you Yadira! And thank you for validating my concerns, and for your suggestions. I did change my listing description to read: TWO kayaks are for guests’s use. That info was posted on the House Rules sheet up in the apt, but I guess some ppl try to take the proverbial mile if you give them an inch. The attitude of entitlement was really annoying though!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Donna480 If this has only happened once in a year and the guest was otherwise fine I would, after getting annoyed about it, try to just ignore it and move on. Far worse things appear to happen to others so in the greater scheme of things perhaps chill and move on?

Yup, I did.

Mike323
Level 9
Middletown, PA

@Donna480 Great space!

You're angry because your boundaries were violated.

One of you is going to be angry, you for letting your boundaries be violated, or them for having boundaries established, why not let it be the offending party?

Guests who challenge you in one area usually challenge you in more areas, best know right upfront what kind of relationship it’s going to be.

Thank you Mike, you’re right!