Amenities

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Amenities

20 bars of 2 ounce Ivory soap currently for $12.38 at CVS Pharmacy. That's when you buy one package of 10 for $6.19 and 50% off for the 2nd pack.

Do you buy small travel size shampoo and conditioner? if so what brand?

24 Replies 24

I don't think it makes much of a difference to the guests. Though, to me as host it actually does, because I have more time to focus on other things like putting together a nice welcome basket. 

@Lizzie I don’t know what the guests think about it. It runs about half and half on how many use them.  They always use the body soap. Rarely the face soap. We have liquid hand soap dispensers that we refill every time. I personally don’t want to use the pump dispensers in the bathroom when I travel, so I wouldn’t ask my guests to do so. They creep me out. You don’t know exactly what’s in them and the last time they were cleaned. I hate the environmental aspect of tiny plastic bottles, but at least we can recycle them.

I'm sure people would rather have unopened containers of shampoo and conditioner rather than some communal bottles. But having new bottles of shampoo and conditioner for each guest gets expensive. If they don't like the communal bottles then they can buy their own.

I've had a couple of guests either bring their own soap bar or open up a new bar from my drawer even though the one in the soap dish had not been used much. I think some people are creeped out by using soap that's already been used -- kind of like using someone else's toothbrush or something. So I now provide a brand new bar of soap on top of the vanity in case they want to use it.

I make my own foaming hand soaps for the kitchen and bathroom sinks. And list their non toxic ingredients. Oddly men seem to notice and positively comment more than women.  I'm not going to add to the plastic problem so  I have  large pump bottles of higher end or fair trade shampoos, conditioner, body wash and lotion. Ive had no negative comments but some positive. 

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

We provide travel size bath soaps for guest use.  Each sink, bathrooms and kitchen, has a pump bottle of hand soap.  For shampoo and conditioner, we have an assortment of options for guests.   I keep a supply of new toothbruses on hand for those who may have forgotten to pack one.  Each bathroom has a travel pack of makeup removal wipes. 

Honestly,

We tried individual soaps and lotions and it bothered me how much waste there was throwing the partially used (barely used) bars away between guests. So I went to Costco and bought large bottles of body wash, shampoo and conditioner on sale. The guests have liked them. I do have baskets out of individual soaps and several individual sized bottles of lotions. Occasionally someone will take one (there are extras in the closet) but for the most part guests seem to be happy with the pump bottles or have brought their own. No one has commented to the contrary.

That frees me up, in terms of expense, to provide baskets of snacks and flavored sparkling water instead. The snacks have been a hit with travelers.

@Christine615  You can drop off the left over bars to a homeless shelter. They will melt down like bars you just bag them and write the brand or type like oatmeal, etc on the bag. They then make new bars for the homeless to use. 

Thanks. I'll check in my area. I just throw the used ones in a box and if that's possible, I'll gift them to the shelter. I give my guests a choice, but most use the large bottles. 🙂

I buy small soaps, individual jars of body butter, and bath bombs from a local maker.  It's more expensive, but I'm given wholesale pricing and I build the cost into my cleaning fee.  Guests love the local, luxury products and I feel good about the money I'm spending going straight back into my community.  It's a win-win-win!  

And as a traveler, I feel positively pampered if my host provides nice product!