Amenity expectations in different geographic locations

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Amenity expectations in different geographic locations

The thread about air conditioning got me thinking. What are some amenities you expect as a matter of course? Are you ever surprised that when you travel this particular thing is hard to come by, called something totally different or completely unknown? 

So where we are (mid Atlantic east coast) we have hot humid summers. Air conditioning is expected, even some would say, required.  But friends in Northern California don't have AC at all (and are very much against it due to the environmental impact.)

Same with heat. We have central heat here. Further, heat is a requirement for a habitable property. But my husband who grew up in San Diego never had central heat (though weirdly they had a wood burning fireplace they used 3 total times in his memory.)

Traveling in Europe we not yet stayed in a space that had what I would call a "dryer" for clothes. We did get accustomed to the cute all-in-one washer dryer machines and bought one for our space in New Orleans. (They do take a lot longer...)

There was also no such thing as an "American sized" fridge in many parts of the world, which I truly didn't mind. I generally need a fridge only to store water, wine, fruit and last night's restaurant leftovers so a small one can handle those requirements.

Water glasses tend not to be pint sized. Waiters in Germany used to look askance at me when I would ask for a pitcher of water rather than have them make several trips to fill up what Americans generally think of as a juice glass.

And as I love to sleep with about 15,123 pillows, most places outside of my home nation ask me to be content with just one.

What has your experience been as a guest with amenities you think of as a given, that maybe aren't so much a given everywhere?

32 Replies 32

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I am on the Georgian side. It is an amazing place to go, I strongly recommend. Very unique sites, hospitable people, everyone speaks English (or Russian), safe and cheap. Food is incredible so is wine. 

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

With global warming I am seriously considering air conditioning in Northern California. In 12 years it was never necessary. But with the fires and heat it is becoming necessary

@Laura2592 

My home is a *typical Korean apartment* but have lived and traveled abroad long enough to know different norms and expectations so I was able to set things up and knew what should be explained in detail as to prevent surprises. 

In Korea, dishwashers, dryers and ovens are still rare. We hand wash all dishes, then set them on a rack to drip-dry (and put clean dishes away into cupboards later). Small toaster ovens are fairly common but most Korean dishes don't involve baking in an oven so they aren't needed or expected. All Korean homes will always have a rice cooker though 🙂 As mentioned in another post, most homes have a large AC in the living room with air circulators and fans with doors open to keep the entire home cool. Some newer luxury apartments will have ceiling AC units installed in each room but it's not common. 

@Michelle53 You can pick out Korean tourists by their attire as well - middle age Korean travelers always seem to wear hiking clothes when traveling abroad - popular brands among Koreans are The North Face, Colombia, Marmot and a few other local Korean brands (Black Yak, Kolon Sports) 

8b18b1427b0ebcd2a6bd838cf3cacc4f.jpg

images.jpg

2477E14A57ABA1ED03.jpg