Amenity inflation: What actually is beachfront and can you prove it?

Kimberly71
Level 3
Haugesund, Norway

Amenity inflation: What actually is beachfront and can you prove it?

My townhouse is located approximately 500 meters from the beach in a lovely beach town where everybody is "close to the beach". I see that many of the listings in the city have added the amenity "Beachfront" , some of which are even my neighbors. 

I have been very careful crafting the description of my property to prevent people from being disappointed or feeling misled, but I am a little worried that all the "Beachfront" properties are getting bookings instead of me. 

What do you say? Should I

a) throw my ethics to the wind and hop on the "Beachfront" bandwagon?

b) quietly hope that the "beachfront" liars are revealed?

c) move to a platform where descriptions are controlled?

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kimberly71  Stay honest. Beachfront means the property is right on the beach, with a full-on view of the water.

Let those other misleading hosts get low ratings for accuracy and written reviews that say it was misrepresented. 

It will all come out in the wash eventually.

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

@Kimberly71it will catch up with them eventually and they will get negative reviews for not delivering on what they advertise. Use language like "Near the beach" or "Five minute walk to the beach". But more importantly, present striking photos of your listing and focus on what makes your offering unique.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

It's never a successful strategy to exaggerate your property.

In fact, while you obviously should point out any advantages you offer, it's generally successful strategy to not tell everything. Set expectations low, then over-deliver. That alone generally bumps up reviews a notch or more. And that matters. 

For example, we deliberately use photo techniques that make the interior look a bit smaller than it is. We don't tell them about the house wide sound system. We don't mention the pool bar and the extra fridge. We don't mention a few other nice conveniences.. When guests arrive, they're always impressed. It's more than they expected. And the reviews reflect that. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kimberly71  You could, in your description where you say how far it is to the beach, also write "It's 500 yards to the beach from our place (many of the listings here claim to be beachfront, but in fact, aren't- they are the same distance or more as ours)."