American guests

Jo620
Level 4
Wokingham, United Kingdom

American guests

Hi everyone ,

This is my first year of hosting. I have my ever first US couple staying with me .

How comfortable are you at hosting the Americans after their covid cases in their country . Would you host them ? just intrigued 

17 Replies 17
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

We expect a Texan family in two weeks. US is no more a risk area, and we can be sure that the guests have a negative PCR test (airline requirement). And they are vaccinated.

Happy to host them.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

That’s interesting. Our US media must be keeping something from us, because from what I can see, we are no worse off than many other countries, especially since the Delta variant has taken the world by storm. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jo620  we are off-site hosts so we don't share the space with our guests but we meet them at arrival and clean after them. We don't care where they are from our procedure is always the same bc everyone can be infected and contagious, an American same as my neighbour, vaccinated same as non vaccinated and tests are not a guarantee either.

Actually, we are happy with oversees guests bc they have to go to the quarantine so we had more 2-weeks stays in the last few months than in 4 years before 🙂

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Jo620, frankly I'm surprised at your question. If you lived in a country with extremely low infection rates, I'd maybe understand your concern. But the UK??? Aren't you concerned about your UK guests? Seriously, if you're worried about exposing yourself to the possibility of Covid from your guests, I'd stop hosting altogether (I have).

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Is this another Daily Mail thing?

You crack me up ha, ha!

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I'm healthy and vaccinated. Honestly, I wouldn't mind getting COVID now. Even if I get a "breakthrough" case, I'm not going to get really sick from it. That's what the vaccines are for. Anyway, then I would acquire the broad, robust, and enduring immunity that you get from the virus itself, and would probably never need to get another vaccine. SARS COVID-1 T-cell immunity has been found in people 17 years later.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jo620 With the UK infection rates as they are I don't think there is any country in the world that we would have concerns about.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

If you are really concerned, ask your American guests to send you a picture of their vaccination card. I carry mine in my wallet and would be happy to provide it. Sounds to me like this is yet another vaguely "Americans are bad guests" thread veiled in some kind of covid excuse, TBH.

Jo620
Level 4

@Laura2592 Not at all .I have not been hosting long and these American couple are my first .In the I had nothing to worry about as they were honest good people. 

Jo620
Level 4

@Laura2592 Well actually in the end they were really nice people. Respected my home and communicated well.Guess I was lucky 

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

Americans might be statistically more dangerous than most others guests currently, but having travelled internationally they're 'probably' OK - no worse than us in the UK at any rate. I'd still be checking everyone for jabs (whichever format) at the front door and turning them away without that protection. I'm sure most will have taken sensible precautions. And you know, 3,000 miles is a long way to be sent home.  

Jo620
Level 4

@Bryan10 I've not been hosting long and just wanted to reassured advice really 

BenkaandKeith0
Level 10
United States

We host in the heart of America and Americans they are the only guests we cater to. Actually because of them we just had the busiest year ever and this year seems will surpass the last one. We find them very respectful, cautious and (most of them coming our way) vaccinated. I am sure those traveling overseas are broadminded enough they will be vaccinated. Ask for the proof. They will probably need it to enter UK anyhow. Best of luck!