An ineffective evaluation requirement . 10 trips completed .

An ineffective evaluation requirement . 10 trips completed .

Hello everyone .

I have just recently noticed that some parameters have been overlooked by Airbnb when evaluating hosts performance . The 10 completed trips requirement for maintaining superhost status is not an effective standard and poses a significant problem for host and super hosts that live in seasonal based locations or have guests that stay for long periods of time .
Although I agree with having to complete 10 trips in order to gain supehost status for the first time , maintaining this specific standard afterwards is an entirely different issue . For example, many host such as my self live and host guests in areas where tourism is seasonal, in which case it might be alot more difficult to complete the 10 trips required in time for the assessment  period . Furthermore, many host have guests that stay for longer periods of time which also creates a problem when trying to complete 10 trips.

I live on a island where the bulk of tourism is during June,July,August and although I qualify for all other requirements I still might not be eligible for maintaining the status after the assessment. It seems like an ineffective way to evaluate host by using a measurement that does not reflect their ability to host well and in many cases is totally out of their control .
If you are hosting in a highly competitive market , losing or not being able to gain superhost status can have a significant economic impact on your business .
I have sent a suggestion regarding this issue at airbnb.help.feedback in hopes of getting some sort of response . If you have also noticed this issue please contribute your feedback and share your thoughts . The more the better .
Thanks for reading and take care everyone.
3 Replies 3
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gabriel51

Hi Gabriel, I understand what you are saying mate, but the 'seasonal' aspect is not really relevant in the review system because each assessment period is for the preceding TWELVE MONTH  period!

What this means is, there will always be both 'in season' and 'out of season' aspects in equal amounts to each review period. Can you understand what I am saying?

In the northern hemisphere in a January assessment you will have half of two winter quarters and one entire summer quarter. In a July assessment you will have half of two summer quarters and an entire winter quarter. In the April and October assessments you get equally a full summer quarter and a full winter quarter. 

I agree with you that longer term stays will have an impact on your ability to complete the required amount of stays in the asessment period, but I really don't thing seasonal factors are relevant!

I would love a bit of that Greek Island warmth right now Gabriel....it's bloody freezing down here in OZ!

Cheers.....Rob 

Yes, I clearly lacked information regaurding the assesment process thinking that it doesnt take into account the entire 12 month . Thank you for clarifying ! 

Its a bit too warm today but still better than freezing. You should visit! 

Cheers Gabriel . 

Maureen135
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

Hello,

I agree!  I have consistently attained perfect scores to attain - and maintain - Superhost status - EXCEEDING the criteria in every category of criteria that I can control.  Last week, without warning and in the midst of my high season,  I received an email to let me know that I lost my Superhost status.  In shock, I called and ultimately spoke with a supervisor that agreed with me and escalated my case for review.  The reason - I was ONE booking short of making Superhost.  By their definition, a booking counts as ONE booking if it is for one night or 30+ nights.  I frequently get long stay bookings, especially during high season.  This is the ONLY CRITERIA THAT WE ARE NOT IN CONTROL OF, so I do not think it should even be a criteria.  If it must be a criteria,  I feel that the number of nights booked should factor in - not just number of bookings.  Do you think our guests give a hoot about this?  I can understand that Superhost needs to be evaluated currently, but this is a lose/lose situation of bad design.  This will hurt both my revenue and therefore the revenue of our beloved website.  Why on earth would they do this?  I am so frustrated!  They just told me that they could not make an exception and I would have to wait until October.  So much for my high season. 

Maureen