Animals on property designation

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Animals on property designation

There is a designation in the listing description about animals being on your property. Officially, we don't have any pets on the property, nor livestock. But we do have wildlife, some of which could be startling to a guest (black snakes and skunks for example.) We also have the neighbors chickens who wander over the fence from time to time. We disclose this, but I am wondering what other rural hosts do. Do you mention the wildlife that wanders through your property in your listing?

4 Replies 4
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592 I do, as we have a lot of wildlife. Even bears, believe it or not. Moose and deer are common here and can be very dangerous if approached, so while I mention wildlife in the ‘things to know’ section, I also check the dangerous animals box. 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I disclose as well. Critters big and small outside, and sometimes they even sneak inside! Geckos jumping out in front of you by the dozens as you walk down the path. Roosters that crow in the morning. Hundreds of chattering birds that get together for Happy Hour every evening at 5:30 in the tree outside. Tree roaches and little tiny ghost ants. Saw 2 6-inch long centipedes once. I even stared into the eyes of a mongoose peering into our living room from the lanai!

I have a paragraph in my house rules disclosing our tropical critter phenomenon, and also indicating that although we will always make an effort to minimize guest contact with such critters indoors, their presence does not constitute grounds for any type of refund.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura2592 @Pat271 @Colleen253 

I went so far as to include pictures on my listing along with humorous captions that no one will ever see.

If people are frightened away by pictures of spiders, snakes, and walking sticks that’s fine with me.

Adding a note indicating that no refunds will be granted to anyone who claims to have been frightened by a wild animal of any kind is an excellent idea and I think I’ll do that too.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

I just mentioned in another post that I have this comment in the Guest Safety section, "There are deer, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, tortoises, and other critters they attract, that may roam the property."