Annoying guest

Jay235
Level 4
Kent, WA

Annoying guest

I have an annoying guest. He set off our alarm at 4 am, was being loud after midnight, asked me to let his guest spend the night for free (some girl he wanted to bang) and when I said no he wanted to have her come anyway...so i said no again. 

This all happening after 11 pm. He keeps messaging me at very late and early hours and gets annoyed with me when I don't respond after 11 or 12 am because I'm sleeping.

So now he's asking for another day to spend the night. And our gut feeling says no. But the dates are available.

What should I do?

36 Replies 36
Rachel787
Level 1
Pomona, CA

I feel like you need to contact Airbnb and report this guest. This is stupid 

Jay235
Level 4
Kent, WA

Please let me know if I miss a point here.

As I understand
your place is $20 + $139 cleaning fee + $20 Service fee + $24 Occupancy tax = $202 one night (-$1 Special offer) 

- Airbnb collected the first days and you got payed

- You complained about this guest for days

- You allowed the same NIGHTMARE gust to book one extra/additional night

- Airbnb couldn't collect the 2nd payment (for the extra 1 night)

- Airbnb emailed you

- You missed the Email and found out after checkout

And NOW Airbnb is required to clean up the mess???

Independent if Airbnb is/was able to collect a payment for a "next day" stay or not:

As long YOUR BUSINESS MODEL, is $$$ over COMMON SENSE

and you allow THIS  kind of guests/situation happening in your house,
I'm sure to read more entertaining guest stories from you:

Jay: (in this and other chat)

"...

I have an annoying guest. He set off our alarm at 4 am, was being loud after midnight, asked me to let his guest spend the night for free (some girl he wanted to bang) and when I said no he wanted to have her come anyway...so i said no again. 

This all happening after 11 pm. He keeps messaging me at very late and early hours and gets annoyed with me when I don't respond after 11 or 12 am because I'm sleeping.

So now he's asking for another day to spend the night. And our gut feeling says no. But the dates are available.

He is being a jerk about the shampoo and claimed all the other Airbnb he stayed at had shampoo

I ended up letting the guest stay an extra day.

..."

Sorry, sent same text

If we rejected the guest it hurts our status for superhost genius. And if we cancel the guest it does the same thing. And if we get a bad review it is just as bad for our rating. And no, you are incorrectly understanding the situation. It's a precedent that Airbnb is setting. Maybe I will book a room at your place and not pay you. How about that smarty pants? Are you okay with that? Think before you speak. It's airbnb business model not ours. You're just as bad as this guest with your logic. Nice try.

@Jay235 The place is $20 (- $1 special offer) + $139 cleaning fee

+ $20 Service fee + $24 Occupancy tax

= $202 the 1 night 

I would be super curious if you tried to get an extra $139 cleaning fee

out of your guest as he went through a seperate booking process... 

Or if we discussing about an extra/missing 19 bucks???

@Rachel787 @Sarah977 @Clara116 @Letti0 Not that it would make a difference on the guest doing wrong

(clearly its fraud) but I want to understand little more...

I just updated the cleaning fee this morning. It was like $39 or something at the time. It looks like the extra night was not charged, $21 I believe. I checked my bank account and we got the original payment for the original booking. Just not the extension. But I'm confused why this happened. I thought i would get $0. But I will wait until Airbnb resolves the investigation to get the truth or an answer. We didn't ask for an extra cleaning fee or anything unreasonable.

Your profile shows:

"Updated 2 days ago"

@Giedre-and-Andre0  That refers to his calendar. Not his listing. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @Jay235 it doesn't. I reject quite a few bookings and have been a superhost for three years.

I am sorry this guests has been so appalling but you need to take some responsibility for agreeing to extend his stay after he acted so badly and not asking Airbnb to cancel the booking when he tried to tried to bring in an extra guest.

Regardless of whether you did this the guest can still leave you a bad review, so that is not a reason for you to not let the guest walk all over you.

I think it is a shame you took out your frustation on a fellow host. You will certainly put other hosts off offering you help and advice. 

Helen, I hear you. However, respect goes both ways, not one way. It got to the point she was not helping and just making fun of me.

What's funny is that I was on the phone with airbnb repeatedly. Thats called me taking responsibility. And guess what...in America we have what is called an acceptance rate. I have to accept something like 90% of guests or I lose superhost status. It is to prevent discrimination. Maybe it is different in the UK.

I did take responsibility by calling airbnb. I spoke to a couple case managers and I said I would honor the guest booking. The guest was going to check out early and find another place to stay and then he decided to stay at the last minute so I said I would honor his booking, plus it was after 10 pm. You don't have any idea helen.

Guess what? The guest doesn't have the power to leave the review because he got banned from airbnb. Airbnb made that decision. I think it is a shame you are misguided in your comments. Let me guess... You are not going to be offering me any advice any time soon? You guys are acting like know it all's. Airbnb sided with me. How is it that all of you seem to side with the idea that I am incompetent? It's ridiculously hilarious and far from the truth.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Wow @Jay235

So now you decide to be rude to me as well. Speechless 😞

@Jay235  Asking for advice and then labeling the people who offer it know-it-alls is bizarre and really immature. No one here called you rude names, but you seem to think that's fine, just because you didn't like some of the comments.

Get over it already. It's water under the bridge. Have some thick skin like people here say.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Jay235  I posted this on your other thread. They are going to take the money back from you that they paid. 

@Giedre-and-Andre0 Yes we all agree he got paid for the first 4 nights, but the credit card was declined by the credit card company and Air BnB notified Jay of this on day 4. So AirBnB has not been paid for the nights they paid @Jay for November 1-5, 2018 per their email to him. AirBnB will take these 4 nights paid out to him from Jay's next payouts until they are reimbursed in full. The single night booking he will probably not be paid for either is my guess, but that is another issue from the one he received the email on. If Jay looks at his Transaction History he will probably see the negative amount there already that he owes AirBnB. 

Jay's email recieved:

The attempt to charge your guest for the amount due for reservation from Nov 1 - 5, 2018 was unsuccessful.

The reservation is still active at this time, and we've sent an email alert with a direct way to pay the balance.

If your guest successfully submits payment, we'll send you a confirmation email right away. If you have questions about the payment problem, you can reach out to your guest.

If your guest doesn't successfully submit payment or if they cancel the reservation before making the payment, Airbnb isn't liable for issuing your host payout.