Annoying guest

Jay235
Level 4
Kent, WA

Annoying guest

I have an annoying guest. He set off our alarm at 4 am, was being loud after midnight, asked me to let his guest spend the night for free (some girl he wanted to bang) and when I said no he wanted to have her come anyway...so i said no again. 

This all happening after 11 pm. He keeps messaging me at very late and early hours and gets annoyed with me when I don't respond after 11 or 12 am because I'm sleeping.

So now he's asking for another day to spend the night. And our gut feeling says no. But the dates are available.

What should I do?

36 Replies 36
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Jay235

I think the answer is pretty obvious. The only question is, do you want to continue to put up with this annoying guest, or do you want some peace and quiet?

EDIT to add: Jack up the nightly rate to double and see if he still wants to stay. 🙂

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Jay235  Block the day and give yourself a breather. Enjoy the day guest free. You do not want this guest for another day it's not worth the money. Regroup and relax. Always go with your gut feeling, it's usually right. Take a ride to Pike Place Market and get some chowder for dinner and just enjoy your wonderful area for a change. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jay235   This isn't the first time you've posted here re having bad guests. It might just be luck of the draw, but maybe you need to look at your vetting procedure for guests- do you read their past reviews from other hosts? Do you cross reference to see what kind of reviews they tend to leave for their hosts? Do you exchange a message or two with them when they book to get a read on them? As well, you might need to put out a more "don't even try to mess with me" vibe when guests first check-in and you're showing them around. You can do this without sacrificing friendliness,  just keep a professional distance until you see what this guest is like- if they're respectful, then sure, get laid back around them. Even asking if you should let a bad guest book another night shows a lack of boundaries on your part. And don't let bad behavior just carry on- if a guest messages you after you've gone to bed, let them know right away the next morning that you don't take calls after 10PM, or whatever. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Jay235 block....and say sorry already occupied

Also, set boundaries and be firm with them

We are hosts not prisoners or slaves. No is a very important thing for us all to respect. And use it. Happy hosting, Clara

Jay235
Level 4
Kent, WA

Thanks for your advice. I ended up letting the guest stay an extra day. Also, Airbnb paid for$10 worth of his shampoo. The guest had a 5 Star rating. You guys are right about the boundaries. My gut feeling was to say no but I just get afraid of getting bad reviews if I don't let the guest have what he wants. We dont want to lose superhost status.  If  he asks me for anything else I will say no. Thanks everyone for your help.

@Jay235   Do you have kids or know people who do? Have you known or seen parents who let their kids get away with bad behavior, and then you see that the kid ends up acting like a brat all the time because they're never given boundaries or consequences? This is what happens when parents are afraid of having conflicts with their kids, acting like the boss, or clearly stating the acceptable limits of behavior, and enforcing consequences. 

It's exactly the same when we, as hosts, are afraid to stand up for ourselves and our rules because we're terrified to get a bad review or lose Superhost status.  In the long run, it doesn't really work. If less-than-respectful guests get used to hosts pussyfooting around them, it just emboldens them to act like this everywhere they go. Which doesn't help you or any of the rest of us.

$10 worth of shampoo? What was that about? He complained to Airbnb that you didn't provide shampoo? Do you say you do? How long did he stay to use $10 worth of shampoo? I buy a big bottle of shampoo for myself (not guests, they have to supply their own, altho I'll share if they forgot it) for about $5 and it lasts for months, and I have long hair. His $10 bottle of shampoo must have been the most expensive one on the salon shelf.

He is only staying for tonight and leaving tomorrow. He is being a jerk about the shampoo and claimed all the other Airbnb he stayed at had shampoo and lotion for him. That is the reason he gave. He just brought one of his guest saying she got kicked outof the house or whatever and she needs to stay here at our Airbnb. I said no because it is against Airbnb policy and we are not comfortable with this. And he didn't like that. Airbnb offered to make the adjustments but I said no so i dont reward bad guest behavior. His guest left and that was it after about 10:10 pm. You make great points, thanks so much.

@Jay235  I've never provided shampoo, nor do I say I do. Nor lotion, nor shower gel. Soap, sure. No guest has ever expected it or complained. It's so bad that Airbnb rewarded this entitled jerk with $10 for shampoo. It's like they're trying to encourage demanding guests.

I hope you write an honest review for this guy so no one else needs to be subjected to him. Not only does he make himself unwelcome, sounds like his friends also get kicked out of places.

What a totally sad case!

Absolutely shocking that you feel this kind of pressure to accept this guest for an extra night in fear of the review system.

I agree with @Sarah977 reg. cross reference to see what kind of reviews guests tend to leave for other hosts.

I also do it and I,m very thankful for a hint I can get from cross reading reviews.

This seems to be the only way to get little extra protection.

@Jay I will check your profile in 2 days and I'm almost certain that you will get hit from your guest anyway... Hopefully I'm wrong, Good Luck!

This outcome makes me sick!

We have instant book on and sometimes accept guest without reviews. Maybe that is my problem.

Jay235
Level 4
Kent, WA

Hi everyone... get this....so not only is that guy a piece of crap, he also didn't pay us....wtf!!!

The attempt to charge your guest for the amount due for reservation from Nov 1 - 5, 2018 was unsuccessful. The reservation is still active at this time, and we've sent an email alert with a direct way to pay the balance.
If your guest successfully submits payment, we'll send you a confirmation email right away. If you have questions about the payment problem, you can reach out to your guest.
If your guest doesn't successfully submit payment or if they cancel the reservation before making the payment, Airbnb isn't liable for issuing your host payout. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jay235  WTF? Attempt to charge your guest? They're supposed to have the payment confirmed before the booking is confirmed. They're not liable for collecting? Then why in hell would we even use them? Reach out to your guest?  Yeah, right, he's such an approachable, amenable guy. 

This is outrageous. 

Jay235
Level 4
Kent, WA

Exactly!!!! Wtf!!! I am so mad right now. I can't believe this is happening to me. I thought Airbnb was trust worthy. Wtf!!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jay235   Contact airbnb on Twitter.  Point out that they will lose all their hosts if we can't be assured of getting paid for a completed booking, that is is their job to ensure guests have made a successful payment, that's what we pay them a commission for. Tell them you're going to go to the media with this story if they don't make this right.

If they aren't going to have guest's money secured before we allow them into our homes, they need to stop dealing with the money end and guests pay hosts directly.

And you should maybe post this as a new topic here on the CC so more people see it.