Annual membership

Annual membership

Air B&B has a huge opportunity to replace Home Away/VRBO/Vacation Rentals .com as they have now starting charging huge fees to guests.  The owners of rental properties are scrambling as this is going to hurt business.  We want an annual fee option and have access to be able to speak with the guests prior to their stay.  Can that happen with airbnb?

6 Replies 6
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Deb4 I guess I'm a bit confused.  You are currently an Airbnb host so I don't understand your question.  Are you asking Airbnb to have an annual charge for hosts instead of their 3% per booking? Depending on what that amount is, it could be a good or bad thing for some hosts.  When I last investigated VRBO I thought their annual fee for hosts was way too high.  In retrospect I pay amount the same amount to Airbnb for the reservations I've had.  The difference is that I pay as I go, not one lump sum. I prefer that. 

You can communicate with guests through the Airbnb messaging system, but not by phone until a reservation is confirmed.   There is a reason for this:  Communication between host and guest is documented so if issues arise, Airbnb can be fair in their mediation by reading the messages.  After a reservation is confirmed both parties may contact each other by phone. 

Not sure if I've answered your question.  If not, please give more details!

I pay about $650.00 per house for 3 homes in annual fees to Home Away to be on all of their websites.  (To be on just one of their websites is about $350.) About 10 days ago the Home Away company (also owns VRBO and Vacationrentals.com) started charging a sum between 4% and 10% to the guests when they book on top of the annual fees that I already pay.  If they would charge a flat 3% I wouldn't have been as concerned, but 10% for a $300. booking?  Business has already slowed down.  I would pay Airbnb an annual fee plus the 3% and they could get hundreds of thousands disgruntled Home Away homeowners if they would do it.  I searched for a subscription to Airbnb so I can speak to guests prior to booking, but not seeing it offered.  I only have my lower end home on Airbnb, not the two nicer ones as I need to make sure that a large party isn't going to happen.  My two larger homes are quite secluded and I just give a code for guests and never actually meet them.

Airbnb could still do it the way they do now for anyone who is already happy with the system and have another option where we can speak to guests by paying an annual fee.  I would still use their credit card system as 3% is very much worth that.  Some people might bypass that system and take a check from guests instead, but they would be just making work for themselves.  Most of us are busy people and like everything to happen and be recorded online.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of unhappy Home Away users right now (search blogs with "home away and service fees").

Airbnb could take over if they wanted to be larger than Home Away.

@Deb4  Airbnb charges guests between 6% and 12% on top of the 3% that they charge hosts. In my case the guest pays 12% on my nightly fee so I guess VRBO is less for the guest. Wow, if you pay $650  annually as a host do you think you will recoup that amount?  That's why I chose Airbnb...I prefer to pay as I go instead of paying a large lump sum which I may or may not recoup.  Who knows what the future brings.  For all I know for sure, I might sell the place...would VRBO give me a prorated refund?

Oh, I didn't know Airbnb charged the guests a fee, I've only had a few bookings through them.  

I doubt Home Away would do a refund.

I've been doing really well with Home Away for over 5 years, but fear that the new service fees are really going to hurt business.

@Deb4 Yes, I'm sure Homeaway as well as Airbnb has advantages and disadvantages.  You can see what percentage Airbnb charges  your guests by pretending to book your place.  You will see the service fee added to the reservation.  

Thanks Clare.