Another complaint about the “value” rating. Will Airbnb EVER address this?

Another complaint about the “value” rating. Will Airbnb EVER address this?

AC37F5DB-4E39-41E9-8328-E0D2FCF414AA.jpeg

With “100+ new upgrades” you would think Airbnb would have tackled what should be a super simple fix... delete “Value” as a rating category!!!  It is so frustrating to get reviews and guest book entries like this one and then get marked a 4 for value! The house was better than they thought it would be! They had everything they needed! They plan on returning! Overall, the rating and review were great... which just adds to my frustration about the “value” category. 

When will Airbnb start LISTENING to their hosts? (Who, after all, made it possible.) 

0305ED87-4020-43EC-9BDD-7DAB8E19EEDC.jpeg

21 Replies 21
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jennifer2682  Are you aware that on the guest end of the review Airbnb tells them that 4*s indicates "Better than expected"?

@Sarah977 that's not been my experience as a guest. It does ask you about experience relative to expectations, but that is separate from the star ratings, where it says that five stars is "great" and four stars is "good." But I know that review presentation is reported to vary.

@Lisa723  Yes, I have read that here from hosts who also travel as guests. But since the Exceeded expectations, Better than expected, etc, section has 5 choices, as do the star ratings, I could see a lot of guests basically equating them. 

I should have said 4*s is designated as Good, to be accurate. My point was really that the guest rated that the listing was good value. Which is of course not the least bit offensive in the real world unless you're an Airbnb host concerned about keeping up a 5* rating in all categories. Which is hard to do.

The whole, “as expected, better than expected” thing is stupid too. When I rent a place like mine, my expectation is that it’s awesome. When it IS awesome, it has met my high expectations... it is “as expected” and I’m stoked. Airbnb has made something that should be soooo simple, sooooooo complicated. And what’s worse, they make 100+ updates but ignore this really easy, really logical requests from their host partners. 

@Sarah977 If the review process started with that "Better than Expected" question then went on to ask about the stars, I may buy it. But I really don't think guests are indicating star ratings, then proceeding with the review and having some ah-hah moment where they backtrack three screens to change the stars. 

@Emilia42  So the star ratings are the first thing on the review form?

@Sarah977 

Yes, the very first question. You can even click on a star within the e-mail notification (I use Gmail) and it will bring you to the review page and populate the stars. 

@Sarah977 

Capture.PNG

@Lisa723 @Sarah977 

FYI, I filled out a review for a host this morning and the review process has changed a little. The expected/better than expected question is gone. No where to be found. And at the end of the review, there are some questions now about whether the wifi was reliable and the space was clean, etc. 

@Emilia42 that's consistent with my memory of my most recent review process. On reflection I didn't think I remembered the expectations question, but I wasn't sure.

@Emilia42   Do you perhaps recall more specifics about the wifi question ?  The reason I ask is because it is one of the weaknesses of my space, which I try to address in my listing information, and as part of my screening  process (although I did not screen my last guest for this issue, and he dinged me for it).    

I also got a 4 for location in my last review, but 5 stars overall. 

EDIT: I've long wanted the ability to customize the amenities which show on the listing preview. It puts Wifi right at the top.  I'd far prefer to be able to sort it further down the list. 

I’m very curious about the WiFi evaluation as well! Has anyone else seen this? Did I miss some sort of notification from Airbnb about it? (I ask facetiously).  Oftentimes I book a place and don’t care one bit about the WiFi. Sometimes I don’t want it at all!  My WiFi here at Nature House is decent, but satellite is my only option. If it’s a cloudy day, well, WiFi might be slow. But if you’re booking a place called “Nature House” I should hope that wouldn’t be an issue! And if it’s really important to you, how hard is it to check in with your host ahead of time? Hey Airbnb... Keep It Simple! 

@Michelle53

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 1.00.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 1.04.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 1.04.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 1.04.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 1.00.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 1.01.03 PM.png

  

@Emilia42  Thanks !!    So I noticed in the small print at the top it says "we'll keep whatever you say anonymous".    Do you know where the results of these questions pop up for other guests to see ?    Also, for the selection boxes, next to the radio buttons, can one select more than one ?

I just got redirected to the new, improved web pages. Now I have to find everything, again.