Another complaint about the “value” rating. Will Airbnb EVER address this?

Another complaint about the “value” rating. Will Airbnb EVER address this?

AC37F5DB-4E39-41E9-8328-E0D2FCF414AA.jpeg

With “100+ new upgrades” you would think Airbnb would have tackled what should be a super simple fix... delete “Value” as a rating category!!!  It is so frustrating to get reviews and guest book entries like this one and then get marked a 4 for value! The house was better than they thought it would be! They had everything they needed! They plan on returning! Overall, the rating and review were great... which just adds to my frustration about the “value” category. 

When will Airbnb start LISTENING to their hosts? (Who, after all, made it possible.) 

0305ED87-4020-43EC-9BDD-7DAB8E19EEDC.jpeg

21 Replies 21

@Michelle53 I don't think that Airbnb is sharing the answers with guests or hosts, yet. I imagine it may pop up at some point like the "highlights" a year or two ago ... "92% of recent guests found the wifi reliable." Or it could be used to influence search results. Someone who is searching for a work trip is less likely to see listings where previous guests noting that the wifi was slow. That is my guess. 

And yes, you can click multiple answers on the radio buttons.

I hear what you’re saying  and I agree. As a guest, my “expectation” ratings don’t always co-relate to my star ratings. Though I have given “better than expected” rating even when my stay is “as expected” because I don’t want the host penalized in any way for not going above and beyond my already high expectations. At any rate, VALUE NEEDS TO GO! (Or, Airbnb, please explain to us why you feel so strongly about keeping it!) 

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

The rating system has long been flawed. AirBnB has been telling guests one thing and the host another-with nobody being on the same page!

AirBnB also believes it to be fair for a guest to review on all of these criteria even if they haven't stepped foot on your property!

All in all, don't let the 4 stars get you down.Remember why it is you do AirBnB.

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

We recently had a similar experience. Guest's raved about how amazing the place and how amazing we were. We found them a rental car in a market where there were no rental cars; had a gourmet birthday cake with balloons when they arrived knowing the trip was to celebrate a major birthday; gave them a late check-out of nearly a full day when their plane didn't depart until late at no extra charge (normally would have been billed out as a full-day at over $400) and spent hours with them helping them to plan their excursions/answering their questions.  The guest's review was overall a 5-star but they put 3 for value! 3! 

What the heck does value mean to people?   Airbnb needs to remove 'value' from its rating system.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Cherie71 

I suspect some people might interpret the choice of "value" as "was it cheap?". 

You're getting 400 per day. That may be a great value for what the guest receives, but it's not cheap.

We also get 400€ per night in high season, and occasionally receive 3* or 4* "value" ratings from guests who rave about the place in their review and give 5 stars for everything else. 

Was it cheap? No. Was it a good value for the money? Well, erm, I think... Yes probably... I know it wasn't cheap. 

Yes, cheap versus value! Exactly why this category needs to go. It’s high season here and I charge $250-295/night with a $75 cleaning fee. I just looked up the local Red Lion (mid-level hotel and the only chain in town) and their rates are starting at $212.  I’d say my two bedroom home on two acres in the woods overlooking the lake with a giant soaking tub, full kitchen, deck, and fire pit is a GREAT value. But no, it’s not cheap. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

The review system is slightly different based on your market.  I still saw the "better than expected " on a recent stay as a guest.  

Value is a really silly category  I agree.  Like location I think it should be thrown in the bin. But Airbnb has shown little to no interest in updating the rating system no matter how many of us complain