Another entitled guest / UChicago parent / new ABBer

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Another entitled guest / UChicago parent / new ABBer

A'right:

I just received the following missive from a new ABBer,   dropping off his daughter a UChicago,  who checked out today-- failing to lock the door on exit,  which I repeatedly noticed from mobile and corrected:

"Hi. I left my review. Thanks again. I should add a few things:

1. the entry not auto-locking needs to be fixed. I assume it wouldn't cost you much but your guests will have peace of mind. Not only is it so easy to leave it unlocked, but locking it from the inside takes extra effort. Unless I misread your instructions. But then if I did, that too is a security risk.

2. the doors don't shut properly. Perhaps sand the edges or something. And better locks there too. The bathroom can't lock. Tough especially for women who are sharing the place.

3. I noticed the #1 room was left open a lot. I wonder if Linh(?) or Hanna(?) felt it was too warm inside so she kept the door open to let the cold air in. Another potential security risk for these young girls coming to U Chicago trusting you with their lives.

You may be selective with your tenants but I think you really can't screen people well enough. That's what deadbolts are for."

Generally I ignore these and negative reviews from newbies,  but maybe not this guy.  (Maybe because in my review of him,  his patients' review all said the same negative things).   And of course-- new ABBers who come with the attitude that they know everything,   and are going to *tell you* (generally afterwards,  instead of just messaging during their stay) are a continuing issue.

I am tempted to begin with "you have a medical degree,  how hard is it to figure out how to turn a simple flip switch from the inside,  which you failed to do repeatedly?  Or to figure out to push the bathroom door fully closed and turn,  which I also provided instructions on how to do,   which you obviously didn't read?
None of these are hard,  and as a guest in my home,  it was your duty to lock my home when leaving.  Period,  end of story.  How entitled are you,  to think you need a door that locks itself,  after you enter.  (P.S.  auto-lock is a software setting;  I turned it off the day before)."

Of course,  without his little missive I would probably have overlooked him repeatedly leaving the door open,   as it's easy to detect and lock using software.

Maybe:

"Linh messaged specifically that she was closing her door for privacy,  and felt bad when she did that and closed other people out.   Other than that-- as I mentioned-- 90F in the day and 82F overnight were absolutely unusual and perhaps the hottest single day of the year,   have you considered that someone from Vietnam has different cultural expectations,   or that you may not know everything about the world or other cultures?  (See your practice's online reviews-- sheesh,  have you learned nothing from them?)  And did you fail to read my message that we'd just rehung the doors due to swelling in unusual summer humidity,  etc?"

or perhaps

"I've unfortunately had to make life and death decisions for a number of young women,   including on the platform at the bombing at Paris' St. Michel.   I don't think a sunny and normal afternoon or a warm evening in Hyde Park,  comes close to the responsibilities of such events.  But if you missed the license to practice in front of the Supreme Court in our living room,   you may nonetheless understand that we are capable of making our own choices about our household and its security-- and how carefully we look for potential grounds for litigation,  when someone acts as you have."

"Does the fact that most of the people on the street are African-American,  and you live in a largely white community,  have anything to do with your comments and condescending attitude?"

I have a few more pointed things in mind,  though I'll probably tone it down before dropping a note and deciding what to put in my review.  Comments,  of whatever nature including humourous and sarcastic,  welcome as long as it is civil,  folks.  Or at least as civil as I intend to be in reply to this guest.

Otherwise,  we also have the new guest onboarding problem here,  which Airbnb needs to address.

41 Replies 41
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Kenneth12 Now that you have written all of these down, send him...nothing!  Do you think after reading your reply he will have a lightbulb moment and realize that he was wrong and you were right? Of course not. He will have just as many points to write back to you. You’re not going to teach him a lesson, life will. 

When I know I absolutely must reply to someone like this person , I write down all the clever things in a separate email without addressee  so I do not send it out by mistake. Then I breathe in and out and write something extremely polite, in this case “thank you so much for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated and I will start implementing it immediately. I agree with you, safety of my guests  is most important”. And then do nothing. But in this case, just don’t reply at all as there is no need for it. Vent to us instead. 

Yes, these are a little pointed.  But generally,  I was taught not to write for the other party;   write for the judge who might read your missive.  I won't bore anyone here with a bullet point-by-point rebuttal,   but such a series of claims requires such,  "just in case."

Otherwise,   one wonders what is in his review,     and there is a little matter of what to put in a review in turn,  as -- his messages where poor,  but I would have let slide-- this kind of messages,   exposes him to a negative first review.

Hi @Inna22 ,

„Now that you have written all of these down, send him...nothing!“

Thank You for this good morning breakfast laugh here in Germany. I agree, send nothing. Or maybe: Thank You for Your stay. In my live there is a minimum threshhold level that needs to be crossed before I get into any thing, and this story just doesn't make it across the line.

@Kenneth12,

While You are agonising about what to do with this sub threshhold episode, I've looked through Your reviews and found an interesting conversation between You and one of Your guests:

• Guest Alejandro writes:

…......The only problem that we encountered with the place is that it is located near a rough neighborhood, which is a little concern if you want to return in public transportation at night..........

• Response from Kenneth:

We were very glad to have Alejandro's party here. I also note that I have a large section on security in our listing, which I update regularly-- in particular, the Cottage Grove station is now under reconstruction as a gateway to UChicago, while King Drive is on a corner near housing projects and that attracts a rough element-- ignore g. Maps, go to Cottage Grove.

This is one of the best reviewresponses I've ever read bc it adresses future guest. - Just Perfect.

Hallo Ute,

Ich bin leider noch wach, und danke für deine Antwort.

We of course should always carefully reply to our future audience,  not to the guest directly or in frustration.  A little caution and restraint.

In this case-- well,  if you've dealt with Doctors (my experience in Germany is quite better than the US, but certain Typs may apply)-- there may be an assumption of superiority on this guest's part,  but I emailed the two young women to make sure this guest caused no problem for them-- his obsessive worry about someone breaking into their bedrooms,  when he was the person with most access,  raises some flags and concerns,  alas.

Otherwise,  as I've mentioned,  I looked over his patient's reviews for his practice before approving-- obviously someone who gets < 1.5 of 5 from most reviewers has some issues to address,  and perhaps I should not have approved his stay.  In the best of worlds,  I'd have hoped to offer him some useful advice on altering the patterns that cause his patients to be so unhappy with his methods;  in the worst of things,  I worry that there's something quite more,  to why he's worrying that someone would break into the bedroom of young women at night-- perhaps even some experience,  very much not his own action,  that leads him to worry about his daughter as he leaves her in our community.

And:  my experience in Germany,   is that while such problems occur there,  they are much less frequent than in the US,   and there is likely much more trust "between the genders,"  as it is said.  So perhaps all of this,  in terms of sexual tension and abuse,   and the current situation in the US,  is a little opaque from where you are.

Given that I'm sitting in Mexico City-- also a different and difficult perspective,  on what is happening in the US.   (Unlikely that I'll have the opportunity to take the train from Koln to Mannheim/Heidelberg this year,  though I try to do that each October).

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi again @Kenneth12

Many folk with medical backgrounds from  great universities in Scotland don’t tend to have this entitled attitude as we are a very egalitarian country.

We are all Jock Thompson’s Bairns said our National bard Robert Burns.

In a nutshell we can’t be doing with entitled folk who are “ just up themselves!”

Hi @Kenneth12 ,

"Ich bin leider noch wach, und danke für deine Antwort."

I'm surprised, this is absolutely perfect german wording,

where did You get Your German from?

Pls don't forget to tag me like @Kenneth12 if You should reply.

@Ute42:

I was absolutely terrible during my first course with Michael Knittel at Deep Springs.   I mean,  more than failing.  Lost.  I can't believe he kept trying to teach me a few basic words,  and playing old Gruenenmeyer songs and trying to get me to sing along!

I took both Edson Chick's and Helga Druxes' sections of German at Williams,  and was still failing.

A few years later,   I forget the profs,   I was still failing the 200-level grammar & vocab course but the Dept. secretary told me if I'd worked with Michael (he was Chair at MIT and led the transition to natural language approaches) I should go ahead and try a 300.

That was Middle High German-- Vince taught the class by handing us photocopies of Luther's drafts and (hints along the way) telling us to figure it out.

A little time at Goethe Instituts (Muenchen and Iserlohn) and I wouldn't say I was passable;   a little more grad coursework and I could read passably;   a few more research summers,  and hitchhikers on the Czech border stop were asking me for rides without noticing I wasn't German.

It gets rusty without being there-- I had to check the above,  of course.

(Wait a minute or two:   though I'm not sure of how to spell Gruenenmeyer without looking it up,   a song will probably pop into my head;  or some Judy Weiss,  from radio while stuck in a Stau around Mannheim).

I agree, he is a fool, let it go. And I would not like autolock, I would probably lock myself out accidently. 

You have wasted enough time on this fool.

Move on with life and good people.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Kenneth12  also, it sounds like you have not written a review for him yet. Make sure that you’re very matter-of-fact and brief.  Maybe something like “guest  repeatedly left the door unlocked and admitted to not being able to handle a simple door lock. Hotel environment might be best for this guest”. 

Brevity,  of course,  but I don't know why we're pulling back on content of reviews;  I've left a few doozies,  and as long as one talks about the experience,  and does not make speculative accusations.

Approximately what you said,  plus something like "... guest was a new ABBer,  but communications were generally sparse and poor.   Rather than bring up issues during the stay,  guest sent a long,   accusatory and odd message after his stay,   half of which contained concerns easily address by reading my instructions,  another portion attempting to instruct me in the safety of young undergrads in my house.   
While I understand parents dropping their children off at UChicago may have a number of jitters,  the content was highly unpleasant.   I hope X will acclimate to the norms of the ABB community,  but I cannot reccomend at this time."

OK,  a little shorter than that,  probably.

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

we also have the new guest onboarding problem here which Airbnb needs to address."

We also have the problem that the bold and italics etc tools here don't work very well,   display properly in many browsers,  etc,,   which I also wish ABB would address.  🙂 😛

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Oh dear...!

I have once used the phrase "X had strong opinions on how things should be done and did not hesitate to voice those opinions."

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Well said @Terri38

by the way all my kiwi guests have been totally brilliant....not a single entitled bone in their bodies, so friendly, so polite and respectful of ones home.

love love 💕 

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

OK guys and gals:   giving the guy a little leeway,  given how much of the above was addressed in messages he got-- 

OK -- I can't ignore that his medical practice reviews however about 1.2 of 5.0,  and all the negatives say the same thing-- arrogant,  bad demeanor,  can't make contact,  disrespectful of patient,  untimely--  

but he's dropping his daughter off at UChicago,  perhaps for the first time,   with the background of Kavenaugh hearings and #MeToo &etc;   and I hesitated quite a bit (and looked quite a bit into him) before approving him staying in a house with two undergrad women.

I'll give him a little consideration,   for potential separation anxiety and emotionally distraught-- while being a tad bit concerned,  that he was the most obvious potential threat to the young women.