Another host made me realize something that AirBnB should offer (Stolen TIP from @Judalon)

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Another host made me realize something that AirBnB should offer (Stolen TIP from @Judalon)

So I was reading the Hosting room and came across this: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Being-at-the-bottom-of-the-list/m-p/349957#M79791

@Judalon0 had a good tip and I am stealing it (Taking photos pre-arrival and post-checkout)...BUT wouldn't it be GREAT if AirBnB let us upload those photos to attach to current reservations and/or reservations that ended w/in 24 hours? This could be invaluable to hosts in case of guest complaints that the "place was described wrong" or "it was filthy upon arrival" etc. AirBnB could check the photos!

If hosts took photos with smartphones then 2 things are stored in the photo's EXIF data (i know, I'm getting tech-y here, but trust me, they're there).

1. The Lon/Lat of the photo (to validate that yes, this is the host's property)
  2. time/date stamp (to validate the time and date of photo so old ones couldn't be used to "game" the system)

That EXIF data travels anywhere the photo does, so it uploads to AirBnB w/the photo. It would be possible (yes, I'm a programmer so I know) to automate the entire process of matching a photo to a reservation and property location (except in the case of apartments and/or condos...but they could be manually validated)

@Lizzie0: can you ask people that you know in high places if this would be possible? 

How many of you hosts think this would be a good feature? I know it would add to our workload but it is a safety measure that costs us very little time and could save us untold trouble and money.

2 Replies 2
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Jann3 I would be happy if airbnb can implement this feature!

Once, I had a couple who tried to take advantage of me. They decided not to stay and they had some elaborate non sense excuses and asked for a refund. I insist that per my cancellation policy, I cannot give any refund and I also did not violate anything... I provided everything that was listed in the listing. They open a case through the resolution center and post this *messy* entrance of mine. They said that shoes were not organized... guess what? All of my shoes and my husband's shoes were neatly organized and the only shoes that were in the middle of the entrance were their shoes! Oh my goodness!

So, they tried to 'frame' me as airbnb would not know which shoes are mine/not mine.

Lianne13
Level 1
Yarmouth, ME

Sounds like a great idea!  It would also be helpful if somethin turns up missing.  And maybe discourage anyone from taking anything if they know there might be photografphic evidence.