Another year has come and gone.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Another year has come and gone.

I needed a break from hosting and work around here, and this last week has seen me reach another milestone. I have left three quarters of a century behind and on the 25th August became a 76 year old!

Friends of ours suggested we have a few days away to celebrate in a beach-side holiday hamlet over on York Peninsula, so we packed plenty of nice food and a few decent wines and off we went for a few wonderful days of sun, sea and fun. 

We caught some fish, told a few tall stories until long into the night and had time away from the worries of the world.

I don't know if it's just my age showing, or if champagne bottles are getting harder to open but, one of my birthday presents has suddenly made my life so much easier!!!!

https://youtu.be/CtzjJNrzppk

Like I said, I needed that break, batteries are recharged and it's back to hosting again!

Cheers........Rob

35 Replies 35
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Robin4 Happy Birthday.

We do come from a generation of builders always with a goal, whatever it takes we are always willing to give.  History may ultimately refer to us as 'The Generation of No Excuses'. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fred13 

I have always regarded you Fred as ....the ultimate builder! You created something out of nothing. The vision you saw in a patch of low water mark coral is in another league entirely to anything I might have done. My success Fred is accidental, yours was pre-ordained.....you mate are the epitome of 'The Generation of No Excuses'. I am just the old draught horse trotting along behind!

Cheers........Rob

Jillie1
Level 10
Harrogate, United Kingdom

Many Happy Returns @Robin4 !  Your birthday looked a lot of fun and I like the cool champagne cork extractor!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Happy birthday @Robin4. May the arm get more less painful and more  humerus/ humorous; the age be less noticed and the hand that holds the glass of red, remain steady! 🎂🍷

... and lay off the bricks...... lol... (they look lovely)

Cheers from Garry and I! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cathie19 

Thanks possum, I have about 70 bricks left which are definitely not going to defeat me!

To start with Ade was critical of what I was doing! Her reaction was..."Can't you find something a bit more important to do around here?" And Cathie she is right, there is so much to be done in the way of construction work but, we both do love the garden. 

Ade is all enthusiastic now that I have bent my back, taxed this bloody arm and achieved this transformation, she has spent a lot of the last three days out planting out for the next summer, I have no doubt the garden is going to look just fantastic......she has the horticultural vision I don't have.

As far as the hand that holds the red, Cathie, my left is in perfect functioning order, has risen to the task and I feel.....replete!

Guess what, we had a 24c day today here in the Adelaide Hills......summer is just around the corner.

Take care mate, and give all my best to Garry!

Cheers.......Rob

Jo13
Level 10
Durban, South Africa

Happy birthday, @Robin4!

May you enjoy many more spins around the sun; a lovely red in one hand and good nosh in the other.

-Jo

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Robin4 

Congratulations from Germany.

I watched Your video, great bottleopener. Opening a bottle just looks effortless.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ute42 

For the first time in years, it was effortless Ute. Champagne corks seem to be getting harder and harder to shift. Most times now you at least need the use of a towel to get a bit more leverage on the cork to get it started.

I can see why the French in past centuries didn't bother, they just sliced the top off the bottle with their sabre.....cork and all!

I am an expert at this Ute because Ade has at least one bottle a day, so my daily task now has become a pleasure rather than a herculean effort!

I don't know that congratulations are in order Ute, my feeling is commiserations at what little of life is left is possibly more appropriate! 😟

Thanks anyway.

Cheers.........Rob

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Ute42 , probably a German invention.

Happy Birthday @Robin4 ! So nice you were able to take a little break and get away. We need breaks from all this hosting sometimes. Your brick work looks amazing! Thanks for sharing the fun video 🙂

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Robin4 That brick layout is indeed a work of art. I tried tiling lately, hmm, not so hot. The Mrs. got someone to 'help out' (aka I been fired!).

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Robin4 the brickwork looks fantastic - well done!!

my oldest son's bday is on the 25th of August! I will wish you well from here in Texas on the 25th for years to come, best, k

Charles224
Level 10
Clare, Australia

@Robin4 felicitations and good to see you're comfortably passed the 3score and ten.

That cork puller looks the business!

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Robin4Happy Birthday Robin!!  So sorry to hear about your fall and see those bruises.  Your new brick area looks fabulous.  I'm sad I will not get to see it next month as planned. 

Best regards,

Linda

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

HaPPppPpppY BirThDay @Robin4! Looks like a lovely few days away, with great company–what more can we ask for in life. 🙂 

I hope the bruises go down quickly (it looks very painful) and you are now relaxing and enjoying your handy work. 

Here's to the next 76. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.