Any creative way to provide “face-to-face” check-in in Big Bear Lake?

Henry422
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Any creative way to provide “face-to-face” check-in in Big Bear Lake?

Big Bear Lake requires “face-to-face” key hand off for rental owners, implying the Host (or someone) physically hand the keys to a Guest at the begginign of their stay.

I am strongly considering purchasing a property within the boundaries of Big Bear Lake and managing it remotely. Local property managers offer this face-to-face service as part of their management package which is ~30%. But this monstrous cut would invalidate potential profit on the property.

Does anyone rent a property in Big Bear Lake and have a creative solution for this face-to-face requirement?

I’m imagining: Video calls at the time of check-in; a local service provider at a reasonable rate, etc

19 Replies 19
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Henry422,

I would suggest that you try to find a co-host that is local to the Bear Lake area.  You could submit an inquiry here on the community.  You can also do a search on Airbnb for listings in the area, and look for the ones that have a co-host, and contact them to see if they would be interested in co-hosting with you.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Henry422  Can you pay the cleaners extra to also do a face to face key drop?  @Debra300  idea might be better, because the face to face thing may be part of a reg. that says there has to be a 'representative' available in the town to deal with any issues, not sure, but in which case you'd want a co host.  I don't know what the going rate is for paying co hosts, but it probably isn't 30%.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Henry422  You can't really manage a listing remotely without having a co-host of some kind, regardless of the key handoff. You need someone who can handle any issues that may come up during a stay, make sure your property isn't being abused, deal with guests who might sneak in extra people or throw a rager party.

Many hosts have learned the hard way about this. Paying out a percentage to a co-host is far better than having your house trashed to the tune of thousands of dollars.

Hi @Henry422,

My company, DoorMat Vacation Rentals, provides check-in service only for $25 per check-in and $25 per call out for 24hr code enforcement. We are in lower Moonridge and would be happy to discuss helping you out. 

If you need full management services we can help as well for only 25% of the nightly rental rate. We include professional photography, listing on our Airbnb page and website, marketing, and handle all guest communications, cleanings, our owner portal access to block calendar, and damage cost recovery from guests as well as cleaning. We have full-time staff that can assist with call outs and guest needs. Our cleaning service includes providing you with sheets, pillowcases, towels, hand towels, wash clothes, trash bags, all soaps and shampoo as well as toilet paper and paper towels. All the essential replenishable items so you don't have to worry about stocking them yourself. 

Let me know if you need any other information or assistance.

Best of luck with the new house! 

Best,
Matt

@Matt291 - how often do you receive 24 hour code violations calls? Trying to understand the typical guests Big Bear attracts. Thanks

Only about 5 in the last 8 years. Mostly all in the last year with annoying neighbors. They are who call on you so choose your neighbors wisely. 

I can help you with your check in needs 

Tony1202
Level 2
San Clemente, CA

So Henry, how’d this ever turn out for ya?  I too am considering purchasing a property up there and saw Matt’s service. By the date of this post it looks like you are a few months ahead of me, interested to see how things turned out. 

cheers!

I am here to help with check-in and 24 hour contact if needed. Just contact me. 🙂 

Hi Matt!  I am in the market for a short term rental in Big Bear City.  Could you please contact me and explain your services if you are still actively cohosting?  Thank you!

Steve

Kendra113
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Hi all, curious as to what people are actually doing versus what they say they have to do. I can’t find one current listing here that complies with the city ordinance. No license #s are posted, all are “self check in”. Is the city actually regulating or is this an ask for forgiveness situation? 

Michelle333
Level 2
Big Bear Lake, CA

Hello all. I know this is an older thread, but someone may come across it and still need this service. My company, Monster Properties, does check-in and code compliance calls, as well as co-hosting if needed. We also do full management if that is needed. We are very flexible and can tailor our services to your needs. Feel free to call me with any questions. **. Michelle

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

@Henry422  I reached out to Michelle because I am in the same boat as you and she has a great system, I would suggest reaching out to her and see if she can help you as well.

Hello, I'd like to contact you for short term rental services. Could you provide a way to contact you?