Any hope for having a review removed

Patrick2453
Level 2
Panama City Beach, FL

Any hope for having a review removed

We had a guest book our space stating that 1 guest would be arriving. They show up with 5 people. Immediately  after arriving they send me a message saying the unit is not prepared for 5 people and that they are leaving. They end up leaving around 10 minutes after sending the first message. To save you all the other details, They never come back. The part I can’t wrapped my mind is why it Is still possible for them to leave a terrible review? They say 1 guest is  coming. We prepare for one and they bring 5 and they still have the right to leave a terrible review as if it is our fault. What is the best way to remove a review like this? By the way they have not yet left a review, but Airbnb has still allowed them the option. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t leave a bad review. They were not happy. I want to get ahead of this and find out how to have this review removed if it gets posted? Hopefully there is a way. Any ideas? 

15 Replies 15
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Patrick2453  If the events happened as you explained, then the guest is not telling the truth in his review, when he talked about having a filthy bathtub by the end of his stay. I would simply respond to the review publicly with the facts. Keep it non-defensive, and mention that the guest left after 10 minutes.

For all public responses to your guests, remember that the audience of your response is mainly other prospective guests, not this guest, so it’s important that you respond with professionalism and diplomacy.

Hey Pat, 

Thanks for your response, I will take note of that. Do you have any advise on best approaches to having a negative review removed. 

@Patrick2453 Refer to 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2673/airbnbs-review-policy

If a review violates the review policy, you may be able to have it removed. Note Airbnb does not moderate reviews for truth.

@Colleen253  Thanks Colleen, I will look into that. When you say moderate reviews what exactly do you mean? Are you meaning… remove reviews? 

@Patrick2453 The only consideration is if a review violates the policy. No one will investigate to determine if a review contains lies. The entire review could be lies but as long as it doesn’t violate the policy, it will stay up. 

@Colleen253  I just started AirBnB 3 months ago. I can’t imagine that hosts are Ok with this approach. Why don’t host complain enough to have this changed? If people make up complete lies and the hosts has documented proof to show it is not true the review should be removed. I will be leaving feedback for the Airbnb policy making Dept. Supposedly they read this feedback and if enough feedback is leaning a certain way they will make changes. This is what an Airbnb agent over the phone told me. Who knows though if that is correct information. 

@Patrick2453  I was simply telling you how it is, not that I’m fine with it.  I doubt any host (or guest - this issue goes both ways) is fine with it. I’ve left myriad feedback for Airbnb. Some things change for the better because of feedback, but barely. Like it or lump it I suppose. 

@Colleen253 

I hear ya! Thanks for your feedback! 

all for now! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Patrick2453 

Hi Patrick, we all live in fear of getting a bad review for something that we have not done wrong.

In this instance I note that you have a beautiful spacious beachfront Condo with 5 photos of beds, granted just 2 beds but guests are notorious for skipping through listing details  and although you list for 4 guests, you offer the same price for 4 guests as you do for one! The guest might have thought it didn't matter how many he put in because the price is the same, and the guest numbers might have been 4 and an infant, or two. 

I could be off the mark here Patrick but I can see how, the way you describe and price your listing the guest might not have been deliberately trying to be deceptive, he might have thought it didn't matter and was a bit surprised when he turned up to a condo prepared for one....and that is why he was angry.

If he had not inadvertently skipped the number of guests prompt he would have been asked to name additional guests during the booking process. which obviously didn't happen.

If I was you I would set a base price for 2 guests and set an additional guest fee for each guest after that initial two.......If you do that the price will alter with each additional guest and if the guest still ignores the guest numbers prompt that would be proof that the guest was trying to be deceptive and Airbnb would side with you, and refuse any demands the guest might come up with!

As I said, I could be wrong Pat, but many times I have faced that situation where a guest books for one and turns up with a partner or, a partner and a child and didn't realise the need to name guest numbers because, it didn't affect the price.....give it a bit of thought!

Cheers.......Rob

Hey Rob, 

I appreciate your reply and point of view but in no way can believe that someone would spend over $750 and not realize they were booking a 1 bedroom condo. Common sense would say “no way.” Even if they did make a mistake it is a violation of Airbnb policy to show up with more people than you said you would have coming. If I have 1 guest arriving I don’t need 10 bath towels, and 10 washcloths for example. I prepare for 1 person not 5 people. My point for making this thread is to find advise on best ways to approach getting a review removed should it come. I can’t imagine it would not be a negative review based upon the response from the guests. I left out the other details that happened from guest where there tampered with unit. They unmade the bed and then remade the bed attempting to make it appear it was messy. Not to mention smearing something on the comforter to make it appear like it is dirty. We take photos after each cleaning to show in detail what the property looked like before the guest entered. I have photos from that days cleaning and it is not only different but starkly different what they did to the bed. Long story short this guest was bad news, believe it or not I have the proof to show it. Yet AirBnB will still allow them to leave a negative review if they choose to. Completely not ok!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Patrick2453 

Pat, throughout my life I have tried to be a glass half full person rather than a glass half empty one, having to live with a disabled partner tends to make you look for positives in life rather than negatives, and I give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

As you have now described it these guests may well have been scammers and trying to find a way to turn this numbers issue back on you.

What I struggle with is.....why! There was no financial  benefit for them to book as one and turn up with 5. Why would you deliberately deceive for no gain. They could have just as easily said....."Look I know you have stated a maximum 4 guests, do you mind if we bring our own air mattress for a 5th guest and nominate the guest". There were so many easy options open to them than to operate by stealth and make a song and dance about it when they find out only one person is prepared for. No guest would expect preparations for 5 when they book for one! Pat, it just doesn't make sense, which is why I offered the option that I did.

However, if it is now as you have described and they have been deliberately deceptive you will be able to have their review removed because in your review state that 5 guests arrived at a reservation made for 1 guest, it is not an honest and accurate assessment of the stay and as such contravenes Airbnb's review guidelines. 

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4 Thanks Rob, 

I appreciate your response. I am as well a builder and constructive type of person always look to build, restore, be positive, and uplift. 

Therefore, I would assume that is why it is so shocking that someone would be tampering with the bed. Why un make the bed and then re make the bed? And take a photo of both? I forgot to mention they took a photo of the bed also not made. They took a photo of the bed being unmade, and then made the bed and took another photo. It is all so strange and the reason why I do not know I can only assume. 

Smearing something on the bed is uncalled for. 

The part that completely baffles me is that Airbnb allows for the guest to leave a review. Even after I provided evidence showing they tampered with the bed. Hopefully this review will be removed. 

Thanks again for your response! 

All for now! This will be my last response. 

@Patrick2453 Firstly, do not assume there is common sense.  The majority of guests are great but there are some that will make you shake your head.  

Anytime you get a booking for 1 person, unless the messaging from the guests specifically says they are coming alone, you should confirm that the booking is for one person.   

The search function in AIRBNB defaults to one guest and will stay that way unless the guest changes it despite it being a box that comes up a few times.  I assume some folks don’t have time or don’t notice it needs to be changed or as mentioned figure it doesn’t matter as your place already says it can sleep so many. If they aren’t a

host (and even times if they are) they don’t see why it matters.  

You need to prevent these misunderstandings and double check with every 1 guest booking. In the check in message I also add “Please let me know or update your booking if the number of guests changes or you will 
be bringing a pet.” 

Yes, the guest is dumb for booking for 1, not their actual number but you can avoid this in the future.  

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Patrick2453 You are already mentally at the review stage which hasn't happened, and the removal stage and reasons for it which is beyond that. And already tagged Airbnb being at fault and as the real  'problem'.  First things first.

You have created an incentive for people to gather more than 2 people to lower the price, to a place which is naturally for only 2 people (1 bedroom), with zero benefit to you, unless you rather enjoy the risk of having  4 vs. 2 persons and enjoy having to clean more for kicks. 

You just started (January 2022),  just in case you haven't yet read this - worry less about having your place constantly filled vs. filled profitably and that hosting stays fun.

If you charge enough, just about everyone will be 'fun', charge too little only a few 'perfect' ones will.

Good luck.