Any one offering "special amenities" for super guests?

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Any one offering "special amenities" for super guests?

I have a handful of special items at my vacation house that I don't leave out - Cutco Knives, Bose wireless speaker and a Margaritaville triple blender that allows the user to make multiple frozen beverages.  I'm thinking about providing them to excellent return guests as a special amenity.  Anyone else using a tiered system for amenities?

10 Replies 10
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann783 

Ana, when I decided to short term rent a very wise person said to me...

"Don't put anything out there you are not prepared to lose"!   At the time I thought that was a bit of a callous reflection on society because, we in this country are a pretty trusting lot! We don't find a need to carry guns, we don't get heavily involved with security. Sure we have crime, but it doesn't dominate our lives!

The things I have learned from hosting are,

A/......What a lot of wonderful people there are in the world! It is just so easy to make friends. Because guests are such lovely people I am all the time trying to find ways to make what I do a bit better for them.

B/......Whatever you provide, there is going to be someone who will take advantage of it and abuse it. I am constantly having to replace something because it was lost, damaged or broken, either accidentally, thoughtlessly, carelessly, or simply deceitfully!

On one side of the coin, I had a woman come into me one evening and ask for a band-aid strip for a finger she had cut. I told her there were strips in the medicine cabinet on the wall in the bathroom and she said to me..."No, I looked in there and it was empty"! I went out and had to have a look for myself and....she was right, not a thing left in that cabinet, not even the scissors and the needle and thread and safety pins.....everything just gone!  I now have a number of deep score marks in the kitchen counter top because a guest used it rather than one of the supplied cutting boards. The massage function in the electric bed is still not running after a guest tried to put the head of the bed up with the massage running and burnt the motor out!

On the other side of the coin.......

A few months back now a guest came to me all apologetic, she had broken the bowl I keep in the fridge with eggs for each guest. I said to her ….”Roxy, don’t worry about it, it was of no value, I have plenty more here to replace it”….but she said she felt bad and wanted to replace it. I once again told her not to bother, it was fine!

A week later, out of the blue, a parcel arrived…….

IMG20190728132227.jpg

A new bowl with a $50 note in it. I had a little cry when I saw it, it was so nice but so unexpected.

I could see from the parcel that the postage cost her $15, the bowl must have cost around the same. A bowl that had no value to me, I can’t even remember where it came from and I am sure I could have replaced from the local op shop for a couple of dollars, cost that guest $80.

I felt terrible, I wish the incident had never happened, the last thing I ever want to do is take advantage of someone else.

You can bet the next time Roxy wants to stay here there is no way she will pay my regular listing amount….I have to make it up to her some way!

I guess I could not believe that a guest would be so generous! And I have many more examples like that of how thoughtful and lovely guests can be.

But Ana, no matter how good the guest may have been ....I don't put out there anything I would not be prepared to lose. Return guests will get special treatment in one way or another, maybe a meal, a bottle or two of wine.

But Ana keep those knives, those Bose speakers and that tricky drink maker where you know it is not going to get broken or abused.

Cheers......Rob

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

What a great story about a lovely guest @Robin4   I’m sure a lot of return guests would appreciate a special discount.  Thanks for the advice!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann783 

Sorry Ann, here is me referring to you as Ana! It's either my age or my glasses that need some assistance! Unfortunately once I noticed it, it was too late to edit my mistake!

Cheers......Rob

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Ann783 be careful if u advertise high-end items, I have Bose/Sonos sound speakers in Europe in all apartments, I end up taking them out of my listing after I discover some guests were using to party/or can be easily stolen.  I still have on my listings but don't mention them anywhere so he comes as a surprise when guests find them.

Anything who can attract bad guests or a certain group of guests I don't wish to host I don't publish it. It is sad but Airbnb makes it so difficult to claim anything. And I don't wish to give more headache to my cleaner adding items to check after each cleaning.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I have learned a great deal from guests.  So I wonder if you have a way of determining what was important to these guests that you would welcome back.  Assumming allowing access to pricy amenties may not be hitting the nail on the head in terms of attracting repeat "super guests".  Guests will re-book your place mostly based on how it fits their plans and budget, not extras.

@Linda108 I'll give you an example. I had a guest that was looking for speakers/sound system. I don't leave speakers around - but there is a turntable and some albums.  I don't want to invite partiers. I think she just wanted to listen to some music with some friends over a cocktail… something I don't mind. If she was interested in returning I could easily leave out my Bose bluetooth or hook up an old fashioned big black speaker… I guess in lieu of a discount.

Louise0
Level 10

My listing has a Bose soundbar.  It's idiot-proof.  It's bluetooth and guests never need to touch it; their only contact is with the remote.

Offering tiered amenities sounds like a bad idea.  Repeat guests aren't that common in any case and even if you did 'reward' the good ones, they probably wouldn't even notice and even if they did, how are you to know what value (if any) they place on access to the 'good' knives and a frozen beverage maker. 

Under a worst case scenario it could backfire and the guest would view you as cheap, petty and faintly ridiculous.  In particular, the offer of use of Cutco knives would not be appreciated.  No offence intended, but they're a cheap, stamped knife and any serious cook would consider them junk.

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

No i don't!! Repeat guests are not that common... also repeat guests usually contact me directly. So i provide what they are asking for a clean affordable place. Repeat guests usually book direct and save money on taxes and fees.

I know 1 girl who books repeat guests directly and still charges them Taxes and Airbnb rates. She just pockets the extra cash.

The Longer I do the business the less stuff I provide because people just don't seem to appreciate the extra effort. Except filtered water guests love when I bring in a bunch of filtered water.

Marie82
Level 10

@Ann783  @Nina75   Business travellers are repeated guests, visitors/tourist guests no. I have some business traveller, coming from other Australian cities to Sydney on regular bases and they always contact me via Airbnb to book.

Even if I host a guest many time I always go through the system as it is a double layer of protection for me. 

Business travellers are repeat guests if your location/amenities fit their purpose they will stick with you if ur place is available. Because there is no surprise, they know the place, where to get the key/access and all amenities.

If I have a repeated guest I always book directly I use multiple platforms. AirBnb is not the only company or the only way to get bookings. I always send new guests through AirBnb, not repeat guests.

@Marie82  How does AirBnb protect you???? AirBnb lets guests cancel for any reason. AirBnb gives guest free days if you are late for a check-in. When a Guests books direct with me they pay me directly and I control the cash so I make the rules, and with repeat guests we have a certain level of trust. I dont put all of my eggs in 1 basket like you.