Anybody else tired of the tyranny of useless, germ-filled throw cushions?

Colette203
Level 6
Salmon Arm, Canada

Anybody else tired of the tyranny of useless, germ-filled throw cushions?

Anybody else tired of the tyranny of useless, germy throw cushions? It seems that a dozen of these nonsensical items are obligatory for a well-dressed bed or couch. I'm a bit of a germaphobe, so when I go to an Airbnb I assume they haven't been washed and are slick with people's hair grease and shampoo residue and ick them onto the floor somewhere. Does anybody out there actually use 6 pillows when they are sleeping? They just end up on the floor, ffs. I only have two throw pillows in my two-bedroom listing. But I feel the pressure to add more every time I'm in there. Laundry takes a lot of time and money, so I'm loathe to add more of either for something people aren't going to use. Waddya think? Should I buckle down to pinterest pressure?

images.jpg

23 Replies 23

Are you seriously advocating just spraying pillows btw guests? Uggh

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Colette203I am ambivalent about this whole thing. Fabric sofas during covid also freaked me out .I prefer leather even old leather because it is easy to clean . I banned the cushions and throws during covid and steam cleaned carpets and fabric areas as much as poss but they have crept back .They were seriously fashionable here in Australia and some cushions were really expensive and 'must have'. I agree about all the creepy cushions on beds but I think its often just for the photos.I have four pillows with covers and pillowcases . Two big ones and two flatter ones . So we can change the cases every time and the covers when needed and the pillows whenever needed. Its not a hospital so we have to be realistic . H

Keep it simple and keep it clean. As I guest I prefer crisp white pillows rather than colourful ones that I know may not be washed after each guest. 

Same goes for throws - although depending on climate an extra blanket in press may be a must. nothing worse than being cold.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Colette203 extra cushions on the bed I have always seen them as a waste of space and I usually put them on the floor and yes I often think when were they last washed. 

For me I have 2 pillows per person on the beds (all pillow cases and protectors washed after guest used). The main bed has 1 boomerang pillow with cover washed between guests pillow cases,  all are ironed with creases. I have 1 small scatter cushion which I made covers for - washed too

My lounge chairs have cushions which I also made covers (2 sets) for and they get changed and washed between guests.

My style for our cottage is "Less is More" and the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method.

All bed linen (pillows and quilts are aired in the sun and rested between guests) mind you they take up extra storage space.

But this is my way of clean.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Colette203 strongly disagree.

I regularly use my throw pillows at home for back support. They add much needed color to certain spaces. When I stay at a space without any sort of decorative pillows, my first thought is "boy this host did not want to spend any money" unless the decor is very minimalist. Traditional or transitional decor? I expect some cushions or I think the host is just being a bit cheap, TBH. 

When I was hosting we would change out our throw pillows every few months. We donated the old ones to animal shelters in our area. We also had a variety of throw blankets which did in fact get washed. And after many stays in Europe I have determined I loathe duvets. I also sleep with 3 pillows of the regular type (not decorative) and bring at least one of my own when I travel. My husband uses 2 to 3 pillows depending. So yes we do sleep with 6 regular pillows on our bed at home. We don't expect hosts to mimic our idiosyncratic pillow situation, but we do love it when there are extra pillows of various shades of firmness and filling. 

@Laura2592  we also can have up to 6 pillows on our own bed, although I'm trying to wean hubby down to just 3, so i can make the bed nicely and pop his spare behind his room chair. He also travels with a pillow, and when we went to Japan in '18 he was so excited to find a half size memory foam pillow to add to his collection. 🙄 

A king bed looks very empty without throw pillows. We offer 4 pillows (2 firm, 2 soft) and 2 spares in the cupboard. Then we have 2 large euro pillows (ikea is great for these) and they have washable covers, we wash them when we have a day between turnovers. And we have 2 pretty decorative cushions in front of those. It does depend on your listing, and I  actually am very minimalist myself, but an inviting bed is hospitality 101. 

My other listing, the simple cottage, only has 2 extra decor cushions on the bed (large size), in line with our more minimal vibe. They finish the bed nicely. This is my philosophy: why offer something that is lesser than what your guests have at home?  A queen bed is already "less" (imho) so best to make sure the mattress is awesome, the linens are lovely, and the bed is dressed nicely. 

So, to be clear, you only wash some of your bed pillows occasionally. That grosses me out, sorry. If they are not clean, they shouldn't be on a bed, imo. Hello bedbugs, head lice, dog hair...

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

^^ THIS.

We have a gift shop where we sell them, the guest love them for pillows on the hammock and back support with certain chairs. Plus they can be attractive! So there party poopers. 🙂

A couple serve a purpose, too many true defeats the honest merits.

P.S. Favorite item for fundraiser for the local animal shelter btw, which @Laura2592 's post reminded me of.

Judith106
Level 1
Wadhurst, United Kingdom

Howdy folks from over the pond !! want to start a campaign end Air bnb Tyranni getting a bit tired as a host being told that cos someone hasnt had their money refunded it my fault . Sick of them admitting that this is nit how it should be but toothless no backing even after admitting the not evereview was a crock of s........t still have to un block both my listings even though i kept them informed all the way on the message thread  5 days plus before listings activated again because a man lied through his teeth . Apologies for awful messaging  buy mad as hell !! I am Tom Petty i won t back down R i P bless . judith Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells  .