Anyone being hassled by the City of Santa Cruz or is it just me?

Sydney13
Level 2
Piedmont, CA

Anyone being hassled by the City of Santa Cruz or is it just me?

I have been a landlord since 2004. In 2012 after a court eviction, where the tenant sold my appliances before leaving, I started using airbnb for the summer months that my college students were out of town. In about 2016 i got this weird request on the airbnb website,basically saying i needed to call the city. After talking to someone in their office he more or less dismissed my summer rentals as I normally rent to college students. Then I managed to be put in contact with Ralph Reader in finance who apparently hates me. He has managed to ensnarl me in the rental inspection office, yes I passed after some  weirdness from the two inspectors who seemed to be looking for something to write me up about. Then he filed a report with the planning commission, generally something neighbors do, that cited my illegal second unit, my lack of TOT taxes and my rental inspection. Since none of this is public knowledge or available by trolling the SC website and the illegal second unit was with the home when I bought it in 2004 and something I offered the inspectors to see.  I had no idea it was illegal  so no one EXCEPT a city employee could have turned me in? I schedule a meeting with planning commission, at their request, with my electrician and contractor. The planning office cancels day of. I do meet with  an assisitant who then cites that my unit cannot be grandfathered through a variance as the lot size is less than 5000sq feet. That too was incorrect and her boss is cited months earlier saying that lot size is now a non issue. My buddy Ralph decides to audit me, for 2016. He is now asking for the information i already sent him in a different format, a month after I originally submitted it. Because of my location, smack in hotel alley in Beach Flats, I would be the ideal test case for airbnb. It seems as if the city is throwing everything at me, with the hopes that something sticks. Anyone else have this experience? 

6 Replies 6
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Sydney13 so sorry you are dealing with this! Sounds like a nightmare. Chicago has been very difficult as well

Stephanie801
Level 1
Santa Cruz, CA

Sydney,

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. I'm about to embark on a journey with the city as well. I have been an airbnb host since 2010, and they are trying to peg us down to disable our rental. We purchased our home with the intention of having an Airbnb rental to help us with our mortgage payments and now they are saying that the space where we have out B'n'b is an uninhabitable space. I just received notice that there was a complaint about our listing, and they want to come by to inspect our place. I'm worried about what they will decide. Good luck to you!

Sydney13
Level 2
Piedmont, CA

The "neighbor complaint" was most likely found by a city employee because they found your listing. snooze it Monday to Friday 8am-6pm and stay off their radar. 

Kelsey162
Level 1
Santa Cruz, CA

what ended up happening in this whole ordeal? I just got an notice of audit letter from the same guy. I’m not sure what to do and I’m worried. Might need a lawyer!

I, too, just came home to find an audit notice. I thought Airbnb was automatically collecting and paying the TOT taxes for me as it states in the tax section of my listing. It is misleading. This sounds like it’s going to waste a lot of paper and be a big pain. I’m happy to pay the tax if it’s true Airbnb did not actually collect and pay it. All the paperwork they want for the audit is ridiculous. I haven’t been renting my daughter’s room for months (while she’s at college) because it just became too much work and sacrifice of privacy for not enough profit. I didn’t even rent the room very often because I needed my rest time. I work full-time already. I’m so bummed to be getting this now when my listing is all blocked off anyway. I don’t know if somebody complained or the city is going on a witch-hunt. I wish they would spend their efforts on big real estate investors who buy up homes to profit off short-term rentals and push renters and would-be home buyers out. 

@Kelsey162 @Jodi38 

We just came home to an audit letter from the city as well. The paper they are asking for and the entire ordeal is very overwhelming. Is there any advice or helpful information you could provide to us? Anything would be super helpful. 

Thanks, 

Pat & Jess