Anyone disturbed by the way the CO2 & smoke detector amenities are shown?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Anyone disturbed by the way the CO2 & smoke detector amenities are shown?

While I understand the need for a safe environment, I'm really upset by the way Airbnb has now pasted those amenities prominently on our listings, with a big black line across them if you don't have them, as if you don't care about your guests' safety and you're a negligent host.

This is yet another brilliant idea from people sitting in offices in first world countries who don't seem to be aware that they are working for a worldwide platform, where the need for such things is not applicable in all places. Just like when they decided that all hosts must provide sheets and towels- there was a huge outcry from hosts in many parts of the world, mostly ones with beach cottage listings, where those things have never been provided, aren't practical to provide, and people who go there don't expect. There was such a huge outcry, that Airbnb backtracked on it. You'd think they'd have learned something from that, but apparently not.

I do use LP gas for my hot water and cooking stove. The propane tanks, as well as the water heater are OUTSIDE. There is zero way there could be carbon monoxide from that in the house. As far as the cooking stove goes, that's, of course, in my kitchen. As I live in the tropics, the many windows are ALWAYS open. Even if there was carbon monoxide (which is obvious- the stove flame will be burning yellow or red rather than blue, I'd see that, I live here) with the many windows open, fumes would be so diluted, a detector wouldn't even pick them up. Additionally, the kitchen is in an entirely separate wing of the house than the bedrooms that are on the second floor, and accessed by an outside staircase. There is no upper story at all over the kitchen, and even if the bedrooms were over it, the kitchen ceiling is a foot thick concrete slab.

Smoke alarms- my house is entirely concrete construction, including the roof. The windows and doors are made of metal. There is no way there could be a house fire, it's physically impossible. Airbnb suggests "Mount the smoke alarm outside the guest room door." I guess they assume that all homes are just like theirs, and that the bedrooms open off a hallway. My guest room door opens onto an outside balcony. I guess I should hang a smoke alarm from the sky.

Neither of these safety features are of any use where I live. They're about as useful as coals to Newcastle. Yet I now have them boldly featured on my listing description with a big bold black line across them. Bad girl, bad, bad. Doesn't care if her guests die.

Why not put them in the amenities box that hosts can check off and guests can click on if they're so concerned? They don't put any other amenities we don't offer on our listings with a black line through them. This is totally unfair and ill-considered.

84 Replies 84

@Michael6535 I am sorry but the cost is irrelevant. For people whose listings have ZERO chance of CO entering the spaces the provision of alarms is just wasteful and environmentally unfriendly. 

Avril46
Level 1
London, GB

As someone who lost a daughter to carbon monoxide poisoning - it is the first thing I look for in a rental property.  If it puts people at ease - how expensive is it to supply one - they last much longer now than they used to?  However, we always take one with us wherever we travel.  We have known someone in an all-electric house to be fatally poisoned when the carbon monoxide came from an adjoining property and several people poisoned in flats where the CO came from the flat below.

I’m so terribly sorry for your loss. 

Just because you had a bad situation doesn't mean the government should step in and say it should be this or that for the rest of us. You make the decision on your own what to do for safety nobody's stopping you just don't make the government point their big shiny guns on us is all we are asking. Thanks!

Nikki39
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I dont think anyone can say there could never be a home fire if they have elctricity and bedding in the same room. If no hallway I would put in the room itself (even if it was just me staying there and no guests). A smoke detector is not expensive.

Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

This is an easy and cheap fix that frankly SHOULD be mandated by both local governments AND AirBNB.  I don’t think you’re gaining any sympathy here, it’s truly the least you can do to protect your guests. 

I recently stayed in a flat in Dublin that had a broken toaster - it wouldn’t pop when the timer was done. I ended up burning the toast completely black, which sent smoke everywhere of course. The smoke detector directly adjacent to the kitchen (and literally covered in smoke) never went off. The host had it listed as an amenity - I made her aware of its failure to function and she fluffed me off like it was no big deal. I ended up reporting her to AirBNB.  I shouldn’t have to worry about DYING when I’m on vacation because a host neglected their basic duty of care. Be responsible, please. Smoke detectors save lives. 

So your going to die because you'll be asleep while your cooking something! OH MY GOD YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER leave the oven running while your sleeping! It's morons like you that causes the government to point their shiny big guns at the rest of us who DON'T do these things!

The kitchen shouldn't even HAVE a smoke alarm.  Ours is in the living room next to it (open of course) and we don't get it to go off unless the whole house is LITERALLY covered in smoke and we smell it long before the detector does.   

Michael6535
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Dear Kyle

I assume you are perfect and never leave an appliance on by mistake?

And a kitchen needs a heat alarm, not a smoke alarm, because it is one of the places fires easily start.

Michael

Well said Danielle.

We have stayed in places on the fourth or fifth floor, wooden stairs and no smoke or fire alarms. What is about airbnb owners? We have also seen plugs which don't fit sockets properly leaving exposed live pins, amongst other serious and avoidable hazards.

We rent out three properties long term in the UK and we go over and above the law to make them safe. We take the view that there is a legal and a moral responsibility, and heh-ho, we are taking people's money, good money, we should do what is necessary for their safety.

How much are you really talking about spending in relation to the revenue you generate? And it will of course be tax-deductible. Spend some money.

Some of the owners' attitudes are beyond belief.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Sarah977  I received this detector for free from Airbnb, as soon as I applied, they sent it to me by mail. But once I did a great thing - myself spent a couple of days in my apartment. And when I was frying my daughter a steak, this alarm sensor yelled like this, I thought that the walls would fall down))). And it was like this every time I needed to fry something in the frying pan (of course there is a cooker hood). As a result I took the battery out of this device and removed it from the list. The idea that the guests who make dinner will urgently call me after 23 hours and shout how to turn off this device solved all my doubts.😆