Anyone disturbed by the way the CO2 & smoke detector amenities are shown?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Anyone disturbed by the way the CO2 & smoke detector amenities are shown?

While I understand the need for a safe environment, I'm really upset by the way Airbnb has now pasted those amenities prominently on our listings, with a big black line across them if you don't have them, as if you don't care about your guests' safety and you're a negligent host.

This is yet another brilliant idea from people sitting in offices in first world countries who don't seem to be aware that they are working for a worldwide platform, where the need for such things is not applicable in all places. Just like when they decided that all hosts must provide sheets and towels- there was a huge outcry from hosts in many parts of the world, mostly ones with beach cottage listings, where those things have never been provided, aren't practical to provide, and people who go there don't expect. There was such a huge outcry, that Airbnb backtracked on it. You'd think they'd have learned something from that, but apparently not.

I do use LP gas for my hot water and cooking stove. The propane tanks, as well as the water heater are OUTSIDE. There is zero way there could be carbon monoxide from that in the house. As far as the cooking stove goes, that's, of course, in my kitchen. As I live in the tropics, the many windows are ALWAYS open. Even if there was carbon monoxide (which is obvious- the stove flame will be burning yellow or red rather than blue, I'd see that, I live here) with the many windows open, fumes would be so diluted, a detector wouldn't even pick them up. Additionally, the kitchen is in an entirely separate wing of the house than the bedrooms that are on the second floor, and accessed by an outside staircase. There is no upper story at all over the kitchen, and even if the bedrooms were over it, the kitchen ceiling is a foot thick concrete slab.

Smoke alarms- my house is entirely concrete construction, including the roof. The windows and doors are made of metal. There is no way there could be a house fire, it's physically impossible. Airbnb suggests "Mount the smoke alarm outside the guest room door." I guess they assume that all homes are just like theirs, and that the bedrooms open off a hallway. My guest room door opens onto an outside balcony. I guess I should hang a smoke alarm from the sky.

Neither of these safety features are of any use where I live. They're about as useful as coals to Newcastle. Yet I now have them boldly featured on my listing description with a big bold black line across them. Bad girl, bad, bad. Doesn't care if her guests die.

Why not put them in the amenities box that hosts can check off and guests can click on if they're so concerned? They don't put any other amenities we don't offer on our listings with a black line through them. This is totally unfair and ill-considered.

84 Replies 84
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

The big black line is on my listing, too, @Sarah977. I did get the free Airbnb 10-year-battery smoke/carbon monoxide detector when it was offered, and one set of guests - don't know which, because I didn't check every time - disabled it. Permanently. Removed the batteries and broke out the plastic bits then put it back on the wall. Took the batteries and bits with them. 

It is pretty pointless anyway in my listing - I do, of course, have a fire extinguisher - so I think of the callout as a plus: Anyone who is worried about camping without a carbon monoxide detector will book elsewhere. 

I do see your point. It annoyed me until I decided I didn't mind being a villain. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Like @Helen3, I usually agree with @Sarah977 and enjoy her insight into most issues.  This issue, I agree with Air BNB.  In my area, you cannot sell a house without both dedectors.  However, there are many places in the world in which this is not the case.  Travelers from countries that require these dectors may be ignorant that is not the case throughout the world and need to be alerted.

@Linda108  Yes, I will now have to write under "other things to note" why I don't have those things. Travelers from those countries where they are standard may be ignorant that they are not the norm, nor even serve any purpose in other places, but one of my points is that the idea people from an international company should be.

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

You can never guarantee 100% safety. Smoke, fire and CO detectors cost peanuts (or free). And guests will appreciate them anyway. It's a no brainer.

@Steven65   See, you think they are easy to find and purchase, or free. Because they are, where you live. When in fact, there are none available to buy anywhere in my area, nor do I receive mail or package delivery where I live. Then I would have to drill holes in my concrete walls and ceilings to mount them, when in fact, they would serve no purpose in my house.

It's exactly part of what I'm saying- one can't say that something is essential for safety somewhere that one has never been, nor assume that obtaining and installing such things is something trivial. Things aren't the same all over the world. It's not a no-brainer.

And hard wired? That only works where you can get into the walls to add wiring. I'd have to have my concrete walls or ceilings cut into, probably cutting by accident into already existing wiring or plumbing, there would be clouds of cement dust all over everything in my house, requiring a full house intensive cleaning for days, then the wall would have to be replastered in a way that you wouldn't see the damage (quite difficult), then resealed and repainted.

Battery operated? Anything that requires batteries here goes bad quite quickly from the high humidity. I have to keep my TV monitor and DVD remotes in a box with a tight-fitting lid with dessicant inside the box, as well as other small electronic devices, or they cease to work.

Welcome to life outside a first world country.

American companies are VERY ignorant thanks to being the product of bad education since the 1960s.  Do you think you could pass a STANDARD 1916 eight grade test? https://www.melinadruga.com/education-in-the-1910s/

This is just to be able to go into High School and it's important because it effects who and how they vote where as today they vote based on good looks and speeches that cater to what they are 'taught' in school is acceptable behavior.

yeah right, or just stay home, put a fire extinguisher next to your couch and dont leave the house anymore.  Do NOT cross any street anymore since there are cars who can kill you and stones you can fall over. In my houses NOTHING will burn until someone lights it! 

Nikki39
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

So you don't have electricity either?

Smoke alarm LAWS are practically the same thing.  Now smoke alarms are good idea but it should  be up to the home owner to decide when and where to place them.  The only law should be a home should at least have ONE smoke somewhere and leave it up to the owner to figure it out.

Beth227
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

I used to have simple smoke detectors in my house (that is now an airbnb space) when my kids were young. Every time we cooked something on the stove,one of the kids would have to be on smoke detail - standing on a chair & using a large piece of cardboard to fan the air to stop the detector’s siren from continuing! After a couple years of that, I said screw this! I have been living in peace ever since preparing bacon, sausage, etc. w/out being plagued with the ineffectual invention. They were designed for new construction. My house is 180 years old and the drafts close to the doors & windows could blow your hair. 

Daniel1992
Level 10
Downingtown, PA

A couple of issues with you post.

1, Carbon Monoxide is released everytime something burns, no matter where.  If you have a gas stove, Carbon Monoxide is released.  If you decided to shut your windows and cook, then you're at risk.

2, just because concrete doesn't burn, other materials in your house are flamable.  Carpets, cabinets, furniture, etc. If you don't have a smoke detector and these materials catch on fire, and they block your path to the exit, there is a chance that you can die from smoke inhalation.

3, in order to rent a property in the US, we MUST comply with smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector laws.  I couldn't even buy my house until the previous owner installed two more smoke detectors due to location.  And since Airbnb is based out of San Francisco...

I'm not trying to attack you here.  You've always been helpful in the forums.  I'm just pointing out that these are required in most parts of the world, and not having them is not the norm.  Just buy them and use them as a tax writeoff.

@Daniel1992 Thanks for your response and comments. The comments actually illustrate what I'm saying regarding people not understanding that some safety features are pointless in some places.

1. Yes, gas stoves do put out small amounts of carbon monoxide, especially when the flame comes in contact with the metal pot. But once the pot heats up, the level instantly drops. And a properly functioning appliance don't put out significant amounts of carbon monoxide, unless the place is not at all ventilated, to trigger a detector alarm- if they did, the alarms would be going off continuously. 

If you decided to shut your windows and cook, then you're at risk."  As I mentioned, my kitchen is so well-ventilated that it might as well be outside. French doors in a 2 meter wide doorway, and 3 more large windows. In the 11 years I've lived here, I have never closed the windows- they are always open- there are security bars on the outside, so they can be left open even when no one is home.

2. No one smokes or uses candles inside my home. So how would anything catch fire? As well, there are multiple exits in all areas- if one area was blocked, one would only have to go to the other exit, all within a few steps of each other on opposite sides of what are relatively small rooms.

3.The laws you have to follow in the US are not the laws one has to follow in all countries around the world. Airbnb is a worldwide platform, so shouldn't REQUIRE that all properties conform to US standards.

BTW, a much more common danger with gas usage is gas leaks- which carbon monoxide detectors don't monitor.

My main objection in the first place, and primary point of my post wasn't that Airbnb is encouraging hosts to have these safety devices in their listings, nor was I arguing that it wouldn't be a good idea to have them, even if they are pointless, if it makes guests feel more secure- my objection is to how they are displayed on our listings.

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

You seem a resonable person, but I can not agree with you and i dont believe they are difficult to buy or install. Obviously, it is the unexpected events and malfuncations that you should be worried about. And fires can have electrical sources. Airbnb, rightly, are highlighting this safety critical information to guests and persuading hosts to comply. 

Incidentally, my property does not have a CO source either. 

Your stove has an issue with the propane leaking, or lighting.  When you light it, the extra fuel explodes, catching the contents of your kitchen on fire.

I'm saying that this will happen, or that it's common, but it has happened.

If you have an issue with these, shouldn't you have an issue with TV and Air Conditioning being crossed off as well?  Most travellers expect a TV so they can watch something to unwind at the end of the day, and you live in a tropical environment that people would assume that air conditioning should be included.