Anyone disturbed by the way the CO2 & smoke detector amenities are shown?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Anyone disturbed by the way the CO2 & smoke detector amenities are shown?

While I understand the need for a safe environment, I'm really upset by the way Airbnb has now pasted those amenities prominently on our listings, with a big black line across them if you don't have them, as if you don't care about your guests' safety and you're a negligent host.

This is yet another brilliant idea from people sitting in offices in first world countries who don't seem to be aware that they are working for a worldwide platform, where the need for such things is not applicable in all places. Just like when they decided that all hosts must provide sheets and towels- there was a huge outcry from hosts in many parts of the world, mostly ones with beach cottage listings, where those things have never been provided, aren't practical to provide, and people who go there don't expect. There was such a huge outcry, that Airbnb backtracked on it. You'd think they'd have learned something from that, but apparently not.

I do use LP gas for my hot water and cooking stove. The propane tanks, as well as the water heater are OUTSIDE. There is zero way there could be carbon monoxide from that in the house. As far as the cooking stove goes, that's, of course, in my kitchen. As I live in the tropics, the many windows are ALWAYS open. Even if there was carbon monoxide (which is obvious- the stove flame will be burning yellow or red rather than blue, I'd see that, I live here) with the many windows open, fumes would be so diluted, a detector wouldn't even pick them up. Additionally, the kitchen is in an entirely separate wing of the house than the bedrooms that are on the second floor, and accessed by an outside staircase. There is no upper story at all over the kitchen, and even if the bedrooms were over it, the kitchen ceiling is a foot thick concrete slab.

Smoke alarms- my house is entirely concrete construction, including the roof. The windows and doors are made of metal. There is no way there could be a house fire, it's physically impossible. Airbnb suggests "Mount the smoke alarm outside the guest room door." I guess they assume that all homes are just like theirs, and that the bedrooms open off a hallway. My guest room door opens onto an outside balcony. I guess I should hang a smoke alarm from the sky.

Neither of these safety features are of any use where I live. They're about as useful as coals to Newcastle. Yet I now have them boldly featured on my listing description with a big bold black line across them. Bad girl, bad, bad. Doesn't care if her guests die.

Why not put them in the amenities box that hosts can check off and guests can click on if they're so concerned? They don't put any other amenities we don't offer on our listings with a black line through them. This is totally unfair and ill-considered.

84 Replies 84

@Sarah977   I am mandated by law to have a co detector even though there is no source for it. But true the way Airbnb present it is disturbing, especially given Airbnb does nothing about being proactive in the "lack" field  for a hosts benefit. I would like a big black line, even a neon blinking light, right at the top of my listing to highlight:  no elevator; no hi-tech coffee machine; no concierge service; no daily maid service;  etc.

@Ange2  Well, that is ridiculous as well- mandated by law even though there's no possible source of C.M. But no such mandate exists where I live- I'm not in contravention of any laws, just made to look negligent by Airbnb.

Now that's would be a much more useful feature- things listed that you don't have but which entitled guests erroneously assume or demand to be provided with that big black line. Good idea.

@Sarah977   I think it's because most buildings here are apartment blocks, close quarters, so it's a lowest common denominator law to cover irresponsible idiots, you just never know what people will get up to.  Now they need to be hardwired aswell - too many of @Lawrene0 guests ripping out the batteries and taking off with all working bits I guess:)

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Sarah977

We normally agree but on this occassion I have a different prospective. 

I can't agree - as a guest I would want to know if a listing provided fire and carbon monoxide detector.

I'm not sure that it is comparable with your example about having child specific facilities when you don't cater for children, as I would say the vast majority of homes have a boiler, gas cooking or gas central heating.

Airbnb are providing these to hosts for free so easy for hosts to provide them.

And actually I think it would be a good idea to cross through key amenities such as kitchen facilities.

I REALLY do understand @Sarah977, but what seems like an overkill for safety, Airbnb may not have options, to keep the safety systems on a lesser profile. The way they are publishing the safety features might be specifically required by the local government regulations, as part of  the coronial investigations. If they don’t make the safety equipment prominent, they can’t operate in the area. This then just made it easier to standardise the safety information across the platform. Should this affect every host? Do they have better options than this current display methods may be open to debate, and still may need some further discussion across the forum; only Airbnb can give us the reason...

We may state that this information is not published with hostels and hotels, but they fall under specific building and legal laws and regulations. Generally, I think hosts are not against the required safety systems, just the way they are published. But regulations in particular jurisdictions may have tied the companies hands. 

So can anyone else in CC, shed a “legal” light on this aspect of displaying carbon monoxide features? Or why making it prominent if you don’t have one assists, when it shows up as available or not, in the amenities.I came across this short article that made me wonder about it being a legal requirement. Then adopted globally by the company.

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/hotels/after-deaths-mexico-hoteliers-call-for-airbnb-rental-regul...

🙂

Cathie

Sorry some mistakes here: watching my grandkids at the same time, so focus was split.

Second paragraph: should read “company’s  hands, rather than plural.

Typo error in last paragraph: should read “exists” rather than “assists”.

1. Most smoke detectors (at least in the USA) are now CO and  smoke combination detectors.

2. AirBnB is a US company and rightfully fearful of lawsuits.

3. This is what happens when white people with money die -- https://www.aspendailynews.com/legal-saga-ends-for-relatives-of-lofgren-family/article_a27dd1cd-1150...

The law in Colorado was changed almost immediately after the (my neighbors) Lofgrens' deaths.

and WHY should I, living in Thailand - ASIA - beeing concerned about USAmerican rules? 
To be honest, your safety measurements are KILLING LIFE ... just watched something about kids in the USA these days and its rediculous. Your children cant even play outside anymore without some adult self named caretaker comes along, bringing them home and call the police because the parents was not around?  Some ppl call it safety, others call it just sick! 
and right, its easier for governments checking on us if nobody leaves the house any more 😄 😄

Test

Your article is mostly about poor building codes rather then the CO2 alarm which wouldn't have helped and wouldn't be needed if they didn't cut corners. 

Here is a part of it:

"In 2010, a Pitkin County grand jury brought criminal charges against two former government building inspectors who allegedly signed off on the home and against a plumbing and heating contractor who allegedly improperly installed the boiler. The charges were later dismissed after a judge ruled they were brought outside the three-year statute of limitations for such charges."

The boiler was improperly installed and the CO2 alarm would not be needed if it was installed correctly. Most boilers do not go off but improperly installed ones would!

Here are the key defects. 

"Among the defects were poorly connected pipes on the boiler that “would inevitably fail,” the press release says. “Even after the house was occupied following construction, the regularly malfunctioning boiler was not adequately serviced or maintained such that the obvious defects were never discovered and repaired.”

Sorry but I do NOT have sympathy for that family..  They neglected to inspect their own boiler which costed them in the long run. The CO2 alarm would've done absolutely jack!  It doesn't excuse them for maintaining their own essential equipment!! 

We make all these regulations as an excuse for idiotic behavior.  We should if anything punish people who do not have regular inspection of that kind of equipment rather then all these 'life safety' or 'life excuses' devices.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sarah977it is just business, nothing more. Airbnb probably have  a business deal with detector supplier. They have ongoing promotion of detectors where 1 detector is for free and if you need more you have to pay for them. So I guess Airbnb promotes detectors and will earn something for every sold detector and that's OK, normal business practice.

By writing in big bold letters: "this unit have no CO detector!" they want to stimulate you and other hosts to purchase one. This is maybe legal but not morally, as someone else wrote - what is next? This unit doesn't have code locks? This unit doesn't have microwave?

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Yeah, you're probably right. The fact that they offer to provide me with a free one is yet another blind spot- I get no mail delivery wher I live, so there would be nowhere for them to send it.

ABSOLUTELY my first thoughts
By pushing people in buying or installing this detectors in BIG SHINY LETTERS there is no second thought! 
I am renting out 1 room Bungalows with walls made from stone and tile flooring... NOTHING can burn in our bungalows except someone light it by force

Which would quickly escalate to Arson.