Anyone ever hosted a kitten?

Answered!

Anyone ever hosted a kitten?

I have a pet fee for 2 dogs or less.

Guest told me they were bringing their small kitten. Anything to worry about? Wondering if they will crate it when away. From childhood memories, our kittens and cats scratched sofas, etc. Charge a regular pet fee and ask for it to be crated?

Thank you for your guidance. 

1 Best Answer

@Colleen253  I do hear what you say, however, some of us meet/greet our guest and there is no way an animal would be allowed into some places, esp. with allergy potentials, other animals on the property, etc. I have 2 little dogs and there is no way another animal of any kind would be on our property and my little dogs be at peace or any of us either. So I feel certain Airbnb does not wish to force an animal of any kind on any host .That is why many of us can not host animals/pets and we must stand by this house rule. People with true Service Animal will not want to hide or force a host to tolerate them or their animals. They look for properties that are animal friendly and where it is not a problem and that they are welcomed and special things are set in place just for their animal.

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't hosts pets because of potential damage and  because my son is allergic to cats. @Katie-and-Chris2 

One of the reasons is that as a landlord for long let's I had a main apartment floor and two sofa's  ruined by my tenants cat 🐈 

I doubt someone would crate their cat for an entire visit. Yes to a deposit 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Katie-and-Chris2 You can ask the guest to crate the cat, but they may not. A $50 pet fee isn’t going to replace the couch torn to shreds by a cat. You can then ‘ask’ the guest to pay for a replacement/repair out of the faux damage deposit, but of course they are free to say “no thanks!” and possibly leave you a retaliatory low star review because you dared ask, which will be allowed to stand. Then you can escalate to Airbnb, just to have them say “HG doesn’t cover damage by pets”. Then it’s going through your insurance provider. Or not. 

That’s why I don’t accept pets on Airbnb.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Katie-and-Chris2 we host cats/kittens and dogs. We have hosted birds and guinea pigs. 

The only damage we have ever had was from a dog trying to chew through a door when the owner locked him in the laundry room for hours. We have had zero issues with cats. I doubt the owners would "crate" a kitten in the same way as a dog, but if they have a "kitty condo" large enough for a litter box and food to go in, they may want to err on keeping the little one inside when they are gone just for its own safety. Kittens can be full of mischief but are also tiny and can get hurt if the wrong thing falls on them in an unfamiliar space. 

The cat damage argument is something we have never once had an issue with. Not. Once. Having owned cats myself it takes a while for the average one to shred furniture. A weekend stay wouldn't do it. If you are planning on hosting pets a thick leather sofa is probably the best thing to have as well as easy clean hard surface floors. We leave Nature's Miracles for accidents which helps a lot too.

My only other cat hosting advice is to make sure the litter box has something under it to catch stray litter. We ask that guests keep the litter box in a specific room so that the cleaners have an easy time identifying where to make extra effort. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Katie-and-Chris2  the important thing that comes to my mind is you MUST post that you allow CATS after having one.....many people are seriously allergic to cats - not dogs....but cats. And I think one cat and you are forever a possible allergic reaction and off limits to many people. My brother is so allergic he would be in a hospital 15 mins after arrival into a place where a cat has been. Just think about that. You will exclude many people.....and it would be negligent to NOT let everyone know that might have an allergic reaction. And we all know Safety and security are NO. 1 in hosting. good luck and happy hosting

@Clara116 After reading your comment, what immediately comes to mind is Airbnb’s policy on emotional support animals. They are lumped in with service animals and as such, anyone is free to bring their cat (or dog, rabbit, pig..) to any Airbnb, even one that doesn’t accept pets, claim it’s an ESA, and not even let the host know. The host cannot refuse the guest. So any Airbnb is going to be potentially dangerous for someone with a severe allergy such as your brother has. 
@Katie-and-Chris2 

@Colleen253  I do hear what you say, however, some of us meet/greet our guest and there is no way an animal would be allowed into some places, esp. with allergy potentials, other animals on the property, etc. I have 2 little dogs and there is no way another animal of any kind would be on our property and my little dogs be at peace or any of us either. So I feel certain Airbnb does not wish to force an animal of any kind on any host .That is why many of us can not host animals/pets and we must stand by this house rule. People with true Service Animal will not want to hide or force a host to tolerate them or their animals. They look for properties that are animal friendly and where it is not a problem and that they are welcomed and special things are set in place just for their animal.

Hi @Clara116 

You make a good point.

4C037160-058B-427B-872B-D7925CCEA728.jpeg

@Clara116 Yes, hosts with shared space accomodations can exclude animals entirely if they specify the need to do so. People with severe allergies are limited to booking those types of Airbnb's. Entire place Airbnb's are a different story. And I was not referring to those with true service animals, but to those who would bring a pet to a no pet entire place listing and call it an ESA. Many unscrupulous guests do this. I have experienced this myself, at my no pet listing.

@Colleen253  yes, I am so curious what did you do with those unscrupulous guests bringing pet/pets to your No pet listing? I'd flip out first thing - 

all the best, peace

@Clara116 I detail what happened in this post..

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Guest-sneaking-in-pet/td-p/1174827/page/3#

I wrote an honest review, being careful how I worded it, but the guest got lucky and was successful in getting Airbnb to remove my review as they claimed the dog was an ESA.

Hi @Clara116  @Katie-and-Chris2 ,

You have point it out correctly. I ‘m totally agree with you.

“you MUST post that you allow CATS after having one.....many people are seriously allergic to cats - not dogs....but cat.”

Thank you for the excellent advice.

@Clara116 You make a good point, Clara, but ultimately it should be the guest's responsibility to check with a host if they have specific health needs, especially allergies so bad that they could end up hospitalized.  I do not allow guests to bring pets to my rental because, frankly, it's just not worth the headache and extra cleaning time, but I have a Springer Spaniel myself who often hangs out with me in the home when it's unoccupied by guests.  I will also occasionally make an exception to my "no pets" rule if I can properly vet a guest and their pet.  While it is paramount that we hosts provide a safe space, the onus of responsibility here is on the guest with the special circumstances.  As a host, I will always welcome questions from potential guests and will respond promptly and honestly to ensure that their stay is both safe and wonderful!  

Anyone who hosts pets will have dander of some kind. Cat, dog, bird, you name it-- I know people who are allergic to every sort of pet you can name. We are not suitable for allergy sufferers due to the fact that we are pet friendly. I mention this clearly in our listing. Only once did we have a guest complain about allergies acting up (she was allergic to dogs and also sensitive to scented products.) This is stated explicitly -- that we are sadly not a fit for individuals who may have those issues. As @Jennifer2682 it is incumbent upon the guest to read our listing (this one didn't) and make their needs known (again, this one didn't.) Not much you can do beyond that.

And as far as losing out on guests, we are booked pretty much solid. Pet friendly is one of the biggest searches people do on ABB. And pets include cats.

@Laura2592 Thanks so much for your input as a pet-friendly place! I am going to add “not suitable for allergy sufferers” to my listing description.  You would think if someone had super serious allergies or health concerns that they would ask, but I suppose you can never be too careful. (Personal responsibility, anyone?)