Anyone hosting in cities that have "cracked down" on Airbnb?

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Anyone hosting in cities that have "cracked down" on Airbnb?

Are you in an area that has imposed new fees and restrictions on Airbnb hosts? How has that effected prices and the supply of stays?

Here on the Westside of Los Angeles I've noticed about a 5% - 10% increase in prices over last year (and loving it!).

Here in LA....

They added an $89 a year fee for all hosts.

They imposed an $850 fee if you go over 120 nights per year. Fortunately I only rent about 6 months out of the year.

They banned hosts from having multiple units. You can only host your primary residence.

6 Replies 6
Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Pete69 

I venture to suggest you've broached a quite detailed and dynamic subject.

Lots of cities have 'cracked down'.

In Europe, the ones that readily come to mind are London, Amsterdam Paris, Barcelona, Berlin, Edinburgh, and Dublin.

In USA it seems many cities also. SF in addition to LA and I think other cities in California. Then a variety of cities all over the States.

It seems numerous other cities around the globe. Hard to keep count.

In short, it's an on-going evolving process. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Pete69 similar restrictions in Chicago (primary residence, one unit per building) but no shortage in competition for sure!

Eventually all that the restrictions do is create a market for more individual hosts who take advantage of the void left by entrepreneurs getting banned. The business simply becomes fragmented, no airbnb units are removed from the market place and rent prices keep going up. City council accomplishes nothing.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Pete69 

For latest uptodate situation in UK, and especially London:

BBC article published today. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47910700

Manuel-and-Gregory0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

We wont comply with the new regulation until we are force to do it by Airbnb and we'll find a way AROUND IT but we will keep renting our ow PLACE that we OWN no matter what.  We already pay a lot of money on taxes to this city. Now they want us to pay more on fees and are forcing us not to rent our own PLACE? F%#@!&* you!

I think Airbnb is working closely with cities like Los Angeles. If you're not registered then I think Airbnb boots you off. Then all of your guests (and you) get hung out to dry.