Anyone understand the "map" algorithm?

Anyone understand the "map" algorithm?

For grins, I decided to search for my own property because it's been slow. I have Covid-19 protocols (as requested by Airbnb) and a pretty moderate cancellation policy. I also have the highest rating of any property within a half mile. I'm a superhost.

But when I search by "map view" I don't see my property or my neighbor's. I see others near me and many blocks away. There are  huge clusters of them, but not mine or my neighbor's. I have to zoom in to within blocks of my house to see it show up.

I then decided to log out to see if that changed things. It didn't. There's a huge "hole" in the map where I'm at.

The irony is that the city says it thinks there are 1,000 STR's (many on Airbnb) that are listed on various platforms but only 250 bothered to register for a license. Is this why legit Airbnb owners are are seeing a slowdown?

What's the point of being a superhost and contributor to the boards if Airbnb algorithms just drop you off the map (after scrolling listing on the side I find myself on page 3 or so - but still not on the map).

7 Replies 7
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Try 'updating' your Listing. Just make some alterations to it and SAVE.

Thanks. I'll see what happens 🙂

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Christine615 

If your listing is "on the list at page 3", it is also shown on the map.

To understand the search :

Your top questions about Airbnb Search - Airbnb Community

added:

Guests reguraly use filters to limit the listings shown, you can test on this link which filters will show (or not show) your listing: 

https://www.airbnb.com/s/homes?host_id=1808274&map_toggle=true

I've tried multiple tries of different configurations and mine doesn't show. Worse, my next door neighbor has a high rating and has been a member longer also doesn't show on map view. I was sending the direct link to his listing to another neighbor and the normal link kept bouncing to a generic page to look for housing. I finally added a question mark to the end of the listing and that worked. But there are "clusters" of homes near me showing on the map with higher prices and lower guest ratings. Something is clearly not working. I find it particularly disingenuous since I'm always available when Airbnb needs something. I may have to add VRBO for visibility - but I'm not thrilled with that idea.

Something isn't passing the smell test. My neighbor and I are registered with the city. Many of the other ones showing up on the search engine are either not registered or are well over the max limit of guest allowed by the city.

@Lizzie @Stephanie  Any suggestions on who can look at this?

@Christine615 @Get on Vrbo already. Eggs. Baskets. Diversify! Why would you not???

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sounds like a bug, I'll send you a DM. 

Cheers for the tag!

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom