Apartment Complex won’t allow Airbnb

Alisha96
Level 2
Austin, TX

Apartment Complex won’t allow Airbnb

I looked at my lease and saw nothing that prohibited me from using my apartment for Airbnb. I booked 3 guests filling 3 months already. Apartment complex later told me that it’s against policy to list them on Airbnb. How do I get around this outside of changing pictures and address?

27 Replies 27
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alisha96 

Better not violate the rules from the appartment complex, sooner or later you will be in trouble.

Ofcourse rules must be written somewhere, so if they just say "it is against policy" , then they also must be able to point you to the written version (HOA rules ?) of such statement.

Thank u

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Alisha96  OMG!  I can't imagine a lease that doesn't prohibit you from subletting. Because that's what you're doing when you "AirBnB" an apartment you are leasing. There's a whole host of reasons that it's not okay, including your liability. 

Basically, it's going to get you kicked out. And you can't change the address and pics because then you're misrepresenting on AirBnB. It seems like you haven't given this a whole lot of thought, but you should probably stop doing it. Now. Getting a roommate and adding that person to the lease is probably the best thing to do. 

Thank you

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Alisha96  You could hire a lawyer to determine if by some slim chance you really are allowed to sublet your rental apartment, but, this seems unlikely, prohibiting sublets is a standard clause.  Otherwise, there is nothing you can do, and you would be wise to stop doing Airbnb because if they catch you again you may be fined and evicted.

Understood

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Alisha96   Kudos for checking your lease as many people don't do that.  I see that your listing is a whole apartment, so you are not there during the guest's stay.  Since this is not your property,  I agree that you are in a very iffy situation regarding liability, so it might be best to cease listing it as a short term rental.

Thank you and I understand 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alisha96 "How do I get around this outside of changing pictures and address?"

You don't. And what, you think that misleading guests by posting photos that aren't representative of the space and giving a false address is acceptable behavior? What were you planning to do, message guests  to tell them that's not the real address and instruct them to lie to anyone who questions their presence there, saying they are friends or family? Do you think that is something guests would feel comfortable with? 

Not only would guests report you to Airbnb, resulting in your listing being deleted, as others have said, that's a good way to get yourself evicted.

My intent was to gain knowledge about the legal side of things on behalf of it not being in my lease agreement. Was only changing the address  until it got resolved. Booking isn’t until mid April. 

Alisha96
Level 2
Austin, TX

Quick update! Apartment Manager is allowing my Airbnb as long as I do background checks that meets there criteria!!!!!

@Alisha96  You have to have a plan for what to do if a guest damages the apartment. Background checks don't eliminate that possibilty and how do you propose to do background checks? It costs money to obtain criminal record checks and a guest doesn't have to be a criminal to cause damage.

What is your financial plan if the guest stops up the plumbing or breaks the door lock, resulting in a $200 repair bill? Do you have str insurance?

Alisha96
Level 2
Austin, TX

My financial situation is excellent and we are good. We have insurance and apartments come with maintenance. @Sarah977  

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hurray @Alisha96 ! That's great news!

Can't wait to hear more about your hosting journey once you get kicked off with your first booking.

Well done!

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines