App shows message but there is none

App shows message but there is none

Hi,

We are pretty new to hosting and seem to be having issues with the message alerts.  There is a constant unread message alert on the Airbnb icon even though all messages have been responded to.  Has anyone else had the same issue?  It just makes us think we have missed responding to a message somehow.

Thanks!

35 Replies 35
Beverly13
Level 1
Pennsylvania, United States

Hi! I am new to the site, as well, and am having the same issue! If anyone can help, I would be grateful, too!

I eventually cleared the badge on the cell phone icon by swiping down from the top edge of my cell phone to show the notification area. I tapped on the Airbnb notification which opens the Airbnb app. After "reading" the message that I have already viewed numerous times, the badge cleared from the cell phone Airbnb icon. The false notification remains on the Airbnb website, in two places. One badge on "Inbox" on the Hosting side, and one badge on "Messages" on the traveling side.

Great answer. I did the same 'pull down and clear'. It worked. Well done on finding the solution. 

Me too! tHERE CUSTOMER SUPPORT SUCKS TO SAY THE LEAST. tHERE SITE IS GOOD IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. USE BOOKING.COM

Exactly.  Worst support.  I’ve been threatened with losing my super host qualification.  Wow!  I’m supposed to provide better level of service to my guests Than Airbnb is supposed to provide us

Having the same issue, how to get rid of it if someone can help
Barbara277
Level 1
Murfreesboro, TN

I'm having the same issue! Please let us know how to fix it.
Karen77
Level 10
Montrose, CO

This problem seems to be new.   Right now, my app is telling me I have six unread messages.  When I was using the app, it indicated one.  I got that to go away by deleting and reinstalling the app but that didn't rid me of the problem with the ohantom six unread messages.  Argh.  

Ever0
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I've had Airbnb for years. It always does that. Airbnb will tell you they prefer you use the actual website. The app sucks but I still use it way more than the actual website, I rely on the app. Currently, my app says i have 2 messages and if I get anymore it won't tell me.
You'd think they'd work on the App but nope it's been this way for as long as I can remember
Lynne2
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

That's really irritating.  How does Airbnb think we communicate promptly except with the phone App?  Some of us don't sit in front of a computer all day!  App developers?  Anyone listening?

Yay I did it!!  Go to one of your emails from Airbnb and click on the Airbnb link/icon on top... it should then give you an Airbnb logo with a drop down on the upper left side.  In that drop down mine you'll find messages.  It was old emails from Airbnb with tips and so forth. That did the trick. Good luck!

It worked! I just went online on the computer - hit the messages button and there was a message from AiBnB - click it and then go back and open and close the app. Bingo! 

Yep that worked. What I did was go to airbnb.com (make sure you're logged in) and click on the logo top left and select messages . On the messages page there should be a dropdown menu somewhere near the top where you can see how many archived and unread messages you have. This will give you an idea of which ones you need to click on to view. (Obviously I have read these on the app but for some reason the app and website don't communicate properly).

Once you click on the messages that were unread or archived etc then you can go back to the app and refresh the messages page and the dot should go away from the message icon. 

Noelle10
Level 1
Clermont, FL

We are experiencing the same issue as well, constantly making me think I've missed a message but nothing showing in our message inbox. Maybe site managers need to look into this problem.