Appeal to Airbnb's final decision

Teresa3
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

Appeal to Airbnb's final decision

We had an ABB guest who is supposed to stay with us for 7 days and wanted to cancel her reservation for the last 3 days after she moved in for four days.  We could not refund her for the remainder 3 days  according to the cancellation policy we published on ABB.  In order to get her refund, the guest made a false claim to ABB saying our internet did not work, and she needed to move out.  ABB refunded her for the 3 days based on what the guest's story.  When we found it out 2 days after, and told ABB that the guest's claim was false, and we have proof for it.  ABB case manager said it was too late, and she already made a final decision to refund the guest based on what the guest said, and we can not change or appeal her decision, and we can not talk to her supervisor either.  She sounded like she has the absolute power to make decisions for me with or without my agreement.  Does anyone know if there is way to appeal for the case manager's wrongful decisions?  

136 Replies 136

Its such utter unethical business practice. We need to use competitors more such as Home and Away and booking.com.

@Jess40

That sounds like a horrible situation I am sorry you have experienced that.  I too have a guest who was complaining about the temperature.  They are still in my home for 18 more days.  I was lucky to get a case manager who knew what the guest was up too, however the guest made it easy the first question he asked was how do I not make my next payment, I want to end my reservation early.  When the case manager said it would fall under the long term cancelation policy the guest then started listing all my deficiencies.  Heat was one of the issues, I have an ecobee thermastate it tracks the temperature in 5 minute intervals for all the sensors, I sent Airbnb an 8000 line excel spreadsheet that I downloaded from the Ecobee website.  When the guest called Airbnb back they told him that I had provided enough data to prove I had done what i needed.  The guests are still there, they have a portable heater and are keeping the temperature close to 29C, which is 84F, insane...

@Jess19  You may send a feedback to airbnb feedback link below

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Hi, saw this post and wanted to reach out.  I was curious if you were ever able to successfully appeal a refund to your quest. I just had a guest cancel last minute due to "excessive heat" in the city the Airbnb is located (NYC).  The payout went through but Airbnb is refunding their money and I owe Airbnb now.  It's a ridiculous claim and want to appeal.  Thanks, John

Hey Jess, 

i noticed your your reply on the other forums that are related to this topic. I also want to repeal a decision from Airbnb as I am being accused of stealing property, which I haven’t. There also isn’t any evidence to justify the accusation but Airbnb sided with them still. 

I am thinking of blasting on social media, how big was your following of your tweet for it to get noticed by Airbnb? 

Please let me know, thanks! 

That sounds awful. My version of Nancy O is Jane. She overlooked an important parts of a repair quote, made a $1500 error and Airbnb favor as well as another mistake and simply refuses to discuss it. I've been stonewalled by her and now by there Airbnb Facebook page so next, yes, it's calls to Airbnb, a report to BBB and more shout outs to protect others. I will be done hosting when this is over. It's simply not worth the risk if this company isn't actually willing to protect us.

Pointless, Airbnb does not support the hosts. Especially when the guest refuses to pay and it essentially would come from Airbnb’s pockets. I’ve been throroghly let down time and time again by Airbnb not reinforcing my rules. They allow customers to violate the contracts they sign with us at leisure. I’m very displeased with the customer service and process to seek vindication when wronged by a guest!

Diana495
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

On a good day

Hi,

I just went through the same situation today. A guest booked my house since April for 2 weeks 20/10-3/11/17. 2 days before her arrival she sends me a message telling me her mother is dying and she is not coming. My policy is that if you cancel within 7 days of arrival you get 50% refund. Then today she contacts ABB to request full refund based on extanuating circumstances and ABB accepts based on proof submitted by my guest. I will now be deducted the refund on my next payments.

The issue as I already mentionned to ABB is that at no point I have seen the evidence and the decision has been unilateral! I find this uttely unfair the more so that I have been unable to fill the days left opened by the cancellation and have lost quite a lot of money in the process.

Even though I am trying to see teh bigger picture and think of all the benefits that ABB has brought, I cannot understand such a unilateral decision. 

In this case,  it appears ABB has received documentation of a death in the family.  The refund policy is clear,  and they're following it.

Do you really want to be making these decisions yourself?  For so many reasons,  I don't-- that's ABB's business.   

Otherwise, are you suggesting that ABB did not receive documentation?  I think that's unlikely; them's the breaks.

Hi, just read your post. Very helpful. As I too have just had a situation, actually, still trying to work out where I can take my complaint to next, where air bnb have refunded the money to a guest, even though I can proof I didn't cancel the booking and the case manager has just completely run rough shod over my reasons. Actually completely ignored would be fair to say, my reasons and just awarded the refund and informed me that I now owe Air bnb for the amount of the booking. Not impressed at all, to put it mildly.

Diana495
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Airbnb customer service are **bleep**e.

They have no formal complaints procedure.  whatever they say goes.  There is no means for you to challenge.  Their software is **bleep**e. I have had loads of problems with my listing disappearing from searches.  How are hosts supposed to get bookings if the listing doesn't show up.  Try contacting Aibnb through twitter.

Airbnb modle is based on host and guest reviews and yet Airbnb has a hopeless reputation/review, its called irony.

Jennifer316
Level 4
Toronto, Canada

I am having a very similar issue which I am attempting to escalate to the next level.  As a lawyer I am also considering a lawsuit against the guest and potentially against Airbnb.  I do not want them to drop my listing if sued but the situation is outrageous and clearly unfair. 

Were you able escalate to the next level?  I may need to consider all options as well.

Hi Jennifer,

I saw you responce to refund process of Airbnb and that you would like to press legal action against the company. I've got into semilar cituation, and seems can get them process my appeal. There also pleanty of other hosts who would like to do the same. 

Maybe civil law suit. I would like to find your openion on that.

Thank you,

Anastasia Atwill