Appeal to Airbnb's final decision

Teresa3
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

Appeal to Airbnb's final decision

We had an ABB guest who is supposed to stay with us for 7 days and wanted to cancel her reservation for the last 3 days after she moved in for four days.  We could not refund her for the remainder 3 days  according to the cancellation policy we published on ABB.  In order to get her refund, the guest made a false claim to ABB saying our internet did not work, and she needed to move out.  ABB refunded her for the 3 days based on what the guest's story.  When we found it out 2 days after, and told ABB that the guest's claim was false, and we have proof for it.  ABB case manager said it was too late, and she already made a final decision to refund the guest based on what the guest said, and we can not change or appeal her decision, and we can not talk to her supervisor either.  She sounded like she has the absolute power to make decisions for me with or without my agreement.  Does anyone know if there is way to appeal for the case manager's wrongful decisions?  

136 Replies 136
Sally318
Level 2
Nanaimo, Canada

Amelda,

l have same situation with you yesterday. I have to appeal case manager-Amit final decision as well.

after read all the stories here, I am so disappointed with the way that Airbnb case manager treated host unfairly and disrespectful.

As a host, I was abusively treated by terrible host false claim and lost $940 revenue. 

Rob7561
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

I’ve just learned the hard way guests have waaay more priority and rights than air bnb hosts. 

had I guest initially request a discount a month ago. I did him the favour. He asked to check in at a specific time. I agreed to work with his schedule. Than I ran behind trying to get him supplies for his month stay. Like tp and soap. 
he complained. Because I was 30 minutes behind even though I spoke to him, told him I was behind, apologized and chose to wait. I asked for ten minutes more to get it all ready and out since I was leaving my home for him for a month so yeah it was a hectic day. He entered my home and the whole encounter was him talking to me like I was his employee. 

He asked to keep my home for the night and he’d come back the next day. 

Over 24 hours later he canceled on grounds I wasn’t ready for him. That’s how easy it is to get out. Hosts cancelation policy means NOTHING to Airbnb. 

not only did he get a refund but that’s an entire month someone else could have booked. 

amd Airbnb set it as me canceling on him. 

so I was punished royally for being 45 minutes late of HIS requested check in time. Even after I contacted him, asked fir more time and he agreed. Entered home and says he’d come back the next day but did not cancel right than and there. 

So now I have to fear other guests could pull the same thing. 

also a lesson that if we all want to be assholes we can **bleep** other hosts over too. Perhaps the franchises who use Airbnb fir booking and give all guests good reviews regardless of zero interaction. 

hard lesson learned. **bleep** Airbnb 

K--Steven0
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

I had a couple of similar situations. The question is how can we appeal? I tried to talk to higher up supervisors at Airbnb and they don't respond. Are there any other options to appeal a really bad decision against me as a host? Thank you so much for your feedback 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Try them on their social media @K--Steven0 

I would like to appeal regarding a bad host. I am contacting the better business bureau.

Nathaniel0
Level 3
Boston, MA

Keep appealing if it's worth your time. Airbnb has failed their hosts in so many ways for so many years. It's just us that hold on to the platform because in the long run we make money and have to deal with Airbnb's arbitrary nonsense and inconsistent support staff.

*However it's the 2 days that got you. Got to appeal within 24 hours I think - hope that policy didn't change. 

I have appealed 9 months and not solved at all. No one take care of hosts complained. It’s insane.

Martine1027
Level 2
Mol, Belgium

Hello,

I have the following situation:

Guests booked for a month. 

After day 20, airbnb tells me that they stopped the contract with the person that booked for the guests and I should ask them to leave.  

Guests leave on day 21 in a hurry without informing me. No key received.

On day 22 in the afternoon I get my key.

Now I see that airbnb credited the amount to the guest of 11 days.  So not 8 , nor 9 BUT 11 days! And this without any notice /question to me.  

This means that if a guest cancels a 'long term' reservation, he will not receive anything. HOWEVER when they misbehave in some way (I do not know WHY airbnb cancelled, no reason was given to me), they get all refunded without even informing the host.  When they book for a month they have the big discount, so anybody can book a month and only stay for some days... I asked airbnb for the legal text to check if what they did is legal according to their rules.  No news received.  I blocked all my days to avoid having new guests. This to avoid that airbnb will get the amount that I do not want to pay.  Do I overreact? What if I stop with being a host, will they come knocking on my door for the money that they claim ?   If someone has a legal text, it would be appreciated.  For the moment I only found that for a long term contract, when guests stayed already a long time, there is no refund. 

My steps already taken: I sent a mail to the consumers claims in Belgium and will do the same to the Federal portal.  We will see.   

bye, Martine

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

Apparently, the guest did not book himself, but the booking was done by somebody else. If I'm correct, that's not allowed.
Two years ago, one of my guests left earlier for no good reason (according to me).
I gave him a weekly discount.
Airbnb took into consideration that he was not entitled to a discount if he stayed shorter than a week and took that into consideration when giving him the refund.
@Martine1027 

Hello, 

Yes, someone else booked and yes, Airbnb did not take the month reduction into account. I believe they made a mistake . But of course, they do not want to take the money from their profits, so they take it from me. And it's now a complete silence from their side.....

There is no conversation possible when the other is silent.

byebye, Martine 

Bruno-and-Michela-0
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

Hi There ,  I recently received a shocking news from Airbnb.

A case officer has decide to overread my cancellation policy and refund a guest that the day of the check in send my a screenshot saying that her boyfriend has tested positive to covid. 

She haven't cancelled her booking, and kept the reservation active.

She asked a full refund for 3 time the we have denied. 

10 days after the reservation, I receive a message saying that Airbnb have approved a $1,780 refund (the booking was over NYE ) 

Refund for a booking that has never been cancelled. 

I know that there is a massive mistake in what this case officer did.

There is anyone can recommend me in what to do in this case, or anyone know any lawyer that will take my case. 

Thanks so much.  

OMG how is that even possible? What was the guest's excuse for canceling?

Simon144
Level 3
San Diego, CA

OK so I'm reading through these replies. Over 100 hosts that have been screwed over by a case manager.  Has anyone successfully appealed? No?   

I host a studio apartment in San Diego with one queen bed and one sofa bed.  I state on there at 3 times on the description that it's a studio apartment but the guy gets confused because on airbnb system it says 1 bedroom.  Then he claims that there was also a dirty coffee mug and the inside of a towel caddy in the bathroom had some stains (not the towel itself)  He moved out that night to a hotel and demanded a full refund.   I immediately called airbnb and told the support guy that I would refund him for 1 night and get the apartment cleaned the next morning so he can return.  As for the room size, it's not my fault that he didn't read the descriptions nor look at the photos to see that it's a studio not a one bedroom apt.  Support guy says you are doing more than you need to, you have resolved the things that can be resolved.   Then a week later , it's 180 degree decision and he says he's going to award the guy a full refund.  Case closed. final decision.   I'm trying to appeal now.  so fed up with airbnb. hosts always get screwed.  

Devil's advocate? If hosts treated guests the way that Air treated hosts, Air would be out of business. 

It's $1,000 bucks here; $300 there, coming directly out of a host's pocket. When does any case manager say "You have a point, Host. You have done a good job. Here's your money. Namaste."

Simon144
Level 3
San Diego, CA

OK EVERYONE!!  I think I found a way to appeal.  I called airbnb yesterday and they said what you can do is file a reverse resolution claim against your guest.  The guest has 72 hours to respond and then airbnb will step in.  I just filed one today so will let you know how it goes.  I am armed with evidence this time so I will not be taking no for an answer.