Appropriate Co-Hosting Fees?

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Appropriate Co-Hosting Fees?

I received a lovely email from Airbnb inviting me to offer my services as a co-host because of my reviews and superhost status.  I had never thought to do that before, but the idea intrigues me, as I have really enjoyed every aspect of the hosting experience.

As I went through the process of indicating my availability, and the services I could provide, I realized I had no idea what an appropriate percentage of compensation would be.  I also realize that this would depend upon the services I provided as a co-host.  

I would be really curious to hear what other hosts or co-hosts are paying/charging for this service, and what services are included in that percentage.  I do know this is a very personal decision, but having a sense of what others have thought was fair would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Warmly,

Jude

Rhinebeck, New York

88 Replies 88
Doug172
Level 2
Newcastle, Australia

I'm currently also looking at possibility of  having someone co-host for me for some  months.

My property rents for $150min with a miniumum 2 night stay. so thats $300 minimum each booking. I have been contemplating offering a co-host 40%  to cover everything including cleaning so if the co-host wants to carry out everything themselves they would get $120 min per booking and if they contracted a cleaner, (probably $60), the co-host would still clear $60. By far the majority of bookings are 2 nights, but certainly for longer bookings the co-host would do well for themselves.

I think thats fair to ensure a co-host does an amazing job?

I think 40% with cleaning sounds decent.  I suppose it doesn't include guest supplies, like tp, shampoos, etc. 

I am a super host, 4+ years, have two two listings and also own a cleaning company.  Both of our listings are 5* and espeically highly rated for cleaning.  

My cleaning company does quite a bit of Airbnb cleanings, and  we offer offsite linen washing (some units don't have w/d onsite) as well as bath toiletries including hotel size shampoo/conditioner/bodywash/soap, kitchen essentials, etc...

BA House Cleaning

I am in the midst of preparing my home for listing.  Have converted it to smart systems so I can unlock and lock remotely, adjust heat/ cooling etc. Even turn on music and some lights for arriving guest.  They will get a code for their stay for the door sq no one need meet them.  Maid service will be ordered and paid for by me.  I will handle all booking details and pre arrival correspondence .

If I just need someone to stock the amenities, make sure the maids did a good job, gardener cut the grass for a pre rental check and deal with problems that arise that require a person to go there when booked, are we talking the same kind of fees?  Unfortunately I am too far from this property to go by regularly.  My other one we do it all, cleaning, laundry, stocking, pool maintenance and mowing and triming the huge lawns!

As a guest I stayed at an AirBnB once and never saw or met anyone.  Surely that changes The equation for a co host?  Any cohosts in or around New Milford, CT?

Hi Jon,

I lived in New Milford, CT for 4 years (very familiar with the area, amenities, etc) and now am back in Patterson about 30 minutes away where I’ve been based since 2000. 

Are you still looking for a cohost? I could start immediately. 

Best,

Dan

Jon232
Level 2
Punta del Este, Uruguay

As a quick update, found a cohost who is simply on call if a local issue arises since I am far from the property.  He restocks supplies if they run out  and he pays the cleaning crew.  I handle all bookings, guest communications, check in and outs, repairs with tradespeople directly.  Cleaning crew reports on the condition of the house after guest leaves and every few weeks co host will drop by to check.

For many of the rentals he has literally zero to do.  He gets 10% of my rental. Cleaning fee is a pass through to the cleaners.   But I set my place up with Remote controlled Door locks, T stat, hot water, even a couple of lights for late night arriving guests.  Appliance needed repair, I dealt with the service I use, advised guest, he came in changed the part and left.  Ring doorbell camera allowed  me to make sure it was him.

As we only do a 4-5 day minimum rentals he is not getting rich but then neither am I but he makes decent amount for the time actually spent.  At least he says he is happy with the deal.

Mary1419
Level 2
Boone, NC

Hi, 

I have been co-hosting a friend's space while she's traveling for 6 weeks.  She returns late Feb.  I'm making 20% of all bookings and am also being paid separately to clean.  My question - For the bookings in March, I've done all of the upfront communications but she will be the one hosting.  How should I charge for these?  Thanks!

Hi Mary,

If she will be returning to handle the bookings but you generated them, I would try to work something out with her to get maybe half your rate—10%—come to something you feel is fair as you aren’t doing too much work at that point, but still something. Afterall, you are someone she was able to trust to manage her property. That speaks volumes and the peace of mind she had knowing her property would be well-represented in generating those bookings is worth every penny spent. 

Let me know now how it goes!

Best,

Dan

Claude331
Level 1
Berkeley, CA

Hi, I am a super host in Berkeley , ca ,where I manage my own two apartments . Now, I have an apartment in South Beach , Miami, that I would like to find a co host . 

If I manage all the bookings and pay for the cleaning . How much or what percentage should I offer the co host ? Duties would only be check in and check outs .

Thanks,

claude

Lisa1850
Level 1
Wentzville, MO

Hi I live in Missouri and I have a cabin rental in TN. I am available to co host in any state as far as dealing with bookings, reviews, setting up the cleanings, other phone calls w issues etc. I would not expect as much % as some would get that can be onset but I manage my own cabin from 8 hours away w the support that I set up and have superhost status w 5 stars in communicating with guests. Let me know if I can help you out:)

Denise585
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi i am Central/sw  London based looking for co hosting opportunity- *sensitive information hidden*. happy to help someone who is abroad and need someone professional. 

Hi Denise,

I came across your post and I had a question. How far are you willing to go for co-hosting? My property is located in Panglao, Bohol, Philippines.

Debra87
Level 2
Austin, TX

Hi there,

I host a place that is not where I live. I do all the online communication myself, but I have a cohost that lives by the property. My co-host does not greet the guests, but is nearby and on call if they need anything. Usually they do not meet. My cohost cleans after guests leave, and generally makes the place nice for the next guest, helps make sure everything is stocked, and changes the lockbox combination. They also occasionally coordinate maintenance if needed. For this they are paid either $100 per listing or 30% of the profit, whichever is higher. I think this percentage makes it financially worthwhile for the cohost. I know I would not be able to do it without them, so it’s worth it to me that they want to continue the relationship. 

Good luck in your decision! 

I was paying 33%.

Lola230
Level 2
Smyrna, GA

Co-hosting is a volume game. It’s not worth it at any rate to do one or two properties. The real money comes after at least 5 properties. 

As for what to charge, I co-hosted for a brief period and charged “a la carte”. 

Base pay was flat $75 per stay for properties that charge $150 or more per night. Adjust up or down accordingly. 

Add cleaning management, add 10% per booking. 

Add greeting guests, add 10% per booking with additional $.80 per mile of outside 5 mile radius to my home. 

You get the idea. Start with a healthy reasonable base and let them cherry pick from there. Still a volume game though. Less than 5 properties is not worth the effort. 

Hello, may I know if I'll add someone as my co-host on my Airbnb listing will he be able to be visible on the customers on the public listing too? Or still I, alone?