Appropriate Co-Hosting Fees?

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Appropriate Co-Hosting Fees?

I received a lovely email from Airbnb inviting me to offer my services as a co-host because of my reviews and superhost status.  I had never thought to do that before, but the idea intrigues me, as I have really enjoyed every aspect of the hosting experience.

As I went through the process of indicating my availability, and the services I could provide, I realized I had no idea what an appropriate percentage of compensation would be.  I also realize that this would depend upon the services I provided as a co-host.  

I would be really curious to hear what other hosts or co-hosts are paying/charging for this service, and what services are included in that percentage.  I do know this is a very personal decision, but having a sense of what others have thought was fair would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Warmly,

Jude

Rhinebeck, New York

88 Replies 88

Margaret & Nesser,

I’m new to the co-hosting, do you mind sharing your agreement with me?  I also have a few questions hope to get your help.  My email address is hngotan@gmail.com

looking forward to hearing from you.

sincerely,

Joanna 

Giuseppe27
Level 3
Rome, Italy

Good question without an absolute answer...

I'm going to meet a host that will show me the apartment for the co-hosting opportunity.

I would focus my comment on the decision between fixed or percentage fee. The criteria I would adopt is base my decision on the statistics of his rental performance:

- which is the average number of nights for each reservation? If HIGH --> %fee, if LOW --> fixed fee

- which is the average price per night? If HIGH --> %fee, if LOW --> fixed fee

- the nighty price depends on the number of guests? Which is the average number of guests for each reservation (beds/towels to prepare) --> If price is #guests depending --> % fee, otherwise fixed fee

Other criteria to add?

Suzanne320
Level 1
Golden, Canada

Hi! Lots to consider here. I am in need of a cohost for my upscale yurt. My husband and I built the space ourselves, it's custom and gorgeous and we are loving hosting. Our reviews reflect that. We are rafting in the arctic for the month of August, will be completely unavailable  (no cell coverage) and I am enlisting two friends I trust to do it but am not sure what to pay them?  They will be cohosting and cleaning the space (summer is big vacation time  here in the mountains of BC so we are working out who is doing which flip) I saw something about 40%. Does that seem apt? I will really not be available at all for the month and I'm keen to pay someone appropriately to ensure my amazing status. I am also taking on a space for a friend and doing everything for the month of July. Does that 40% seem correct as well for me? She won't even be touching the site-I'm doing it all. She offered 50% and I think that's fair as she is really not doing a thing. My bookings are set for August and guests have had initial communication. Anyway, Let me know what y'all think. Cheers! Suzanne 

Hi Suzanne, I’d love to know how this went for you! Did you go with 40-50%?

thanks!

Dan

Kristian45
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Greetings everyone! Thanks so much for sharing your cohosting pricing and experiences 

Does anyone have a contract with all term and conditions for your cohosting services?

Heather187
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Does anyone know how to circle-back to previous conversations you have had with a co-host?  It's clear where to find conversations with possible guests, but I can't see any conversations with previous co-host inquiries - thx. 

Sheila238
Level 2
Providence, RI

I have co-hosted a few times before in Dubai, & sometimes for  free. The Host gives me a room to stay and I check in all the guest and clean up after they checkout.  I usually co-host when the host  goes on Vacation. Contact me on here [personal information hidden for safety reasons]

Hi Sheila,

I need a co-host for my house in LA for two weeks during the holidays. Are you in the area by any chance or do you know an experienced co host in the LA Area? Just need someone for checking in with the guests. 

thanks,

Mariam

Mitch27
Level 2
Panglao, Philippines

HI there,

I am Mitch from the island of Panglao in the Philippines. My case is that, I have a friend who asked me to co host her 2BR units. The thing here is I want to know how much commission should I ask from her if I do booking and marketing but cleaning and receiving of guests will be hers since she lives in the area? What percentage is reasonable for me and fair for her?

Ann517
Level 1
Lexington, KY

I’m looking for someone to

co-host a new Airbnb. It won’t be ready until October/November. My job is busy and I won’t have time to co-ordinate/procure someone for cleaning, etc

Hi Ann!
Wondering if you’re looking for a co-host to help with remote online management? I currently manage a couple properties for family and friends. I reply to inquiries, maintain shared calendar, schedule cleaners, send welcome letters. I’m interested in helping with more properties. Thanks!

Hi Ann, I live in Missouri but I have a airbnb rental in TN that I manage, organize the cleanings and do the bookings. If you need a co host at some point I can help out as far as dealing w the bookings, setting up the cleanings, communicate w guests etc. 

Mark234
Level 2
Cypress, TX

Hello fellow hosts and co-hosts - glad to be a part of this conversation!  My wife (Jessica) and I are co-hosts for several properties in the Greater Houston area - at one point we managed 6 other listing besides our two.  It goes without saying, but the percentage greatly depends on what the admin host expects of their co-host.  For 3 of our properties, all of our work is online only (basically managing the listing online, handling emails, pricing, communications, etc)...and we just bring the host business.  Once the guest crosses their threshold - the 'handoff' occurs and there's typically nothing more I need to do.  For those, we charge 25%.  For two others, we handle everything, and we charge them 25% as well.  Then we have one host that lives out of state, that we handle everything for, but our current agreement with them is 15%.  We've managed their property for about 9 months now, and have given them notice of intent to terminate the agreement unless our percentage agreement is revised.  Now that Airbnb does not formally manage payments to co-hosts, my wife and I came up with an interesting proposal to that particular host that others may consider as well (or in some variation).  You see, the shorter-term bookings were not very worthwhile for us for that property, and we typically only made around $15 for each day of the booking, after our maid on retainer was paid.  So we proposed that we get 25% for bookings lasting a week or less, but will stick with the 15% for anything over that.  Still waiting on their final decision, but we're too busy to be messing around with the small change stuff. Anyway, that's what we currently do!

Mark the Host

Mark, that sounds interesting, and I have seen management companies that offer different commision based on length of stays and time of year. Are you paid on gross or net? Meaning, nightly rate or amount after Airbnb takes it's fees out? We are facing this question now....thanks!

Hello Mark! I'd be very curious to see your proposal. I am currently a superhost and being asked to cohost another property. I've never thought about doing so but am open to it. They are asking me to submit 3 different figures for them to consider. For example 15% would consist me doing this and that... 25% would add on with me taking more responsibility and then 45% would be this or that. Would you happen to have a list of EVERYTHING that a cohost would be responsible for that I may not be thinking about?