Appropriate Co-Hosting Fees?

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Appropriate Co-Hosting Fees?

I received a lovely email from Airbnb inviting me to offer my services as a co-host because of my reviews and superhost status.  I had never thought to do that before, but the idea intrigues me, as I have really enjoyed every aspect of the hosting experience.

As I went through the process of indicating my availability, and the services I could provide, I realized I had no idea what an appropriate percentage of compensation would be.  I also realize that this would depend upon the services I provided as a co-host.  

I would be really curious to hear what other hosts or co-hosts are paying/charging for this service, and what services are included in that percentage.  I do know this is a very personal decision, but having a sense of what others have thought was fair would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Warmly,

Jude

Rhinebeck, New York

88 Replies 88
Ingrid39
Level 3
Cambridge, MA

Hi -- I am nearing the end of my first co-hosting experience. I've been getting $20 per check-in. The guest pays on average $54 a night for this Airbnb -- a room in an apartment. To be honest, it's been more trouble than it's worth. The host is out of state all summer and has a subletter who starts in June, so he basically just wanted to get some income from his room during the month of May. The apartment is not clean, does not have cleaning supplies, and the other two roommates have not been there at all to clean or take out trash. Guests have noted that the bathroom is not clean, and that the apartment smells bad. Anyway -- you were asking about fees, and I've been venting. My advice is to make sure the Airbnb space matches your expectations of what you're willing and able to do. I myself enjoy hosting and providing guests a good experience. If I was able to do that, I would say the $20 every couple of days is worth it. However, this particular situation is not worth it to me. I hope it works out better for you!

Thank you, @Ingrid39, for sharing your experience.  You're right - I would want to make sure the expectations of the listing and what it provides matches my own standards.  Good point!

Doing some quick math, it sounds like you are getting just a shade less than 40% of the nightly listing.  Is this simply to meet guests and check them into the apartment?  Are you doing any of the communication with the guest prior to their arrival?  Follow-up after they check in?  Cleaning?

Thanks again for sharing!

Jude

Hi @Jude7, my co-hosting agreement was for around 20% of the booking, I believe. I'm coordinating the check-in and following up with guests once they've arrived; and washing the bedding and towels and making up the bed after each guest. I was very clear with the host that I didn't want to do cleaning, but when a guest gave 3 stars for cleanliness and I saw the state of the bathroom, I couldn't in good conscience let guests use such a filthy bathroom. 

If I co-host again, it will be for an experienced host who has the property cleaned after each guest.

I thought I would try co-hosting to help build community, and this experience hasn't been great, but I'm not ruling out trying it again.

I'm curious, what have others experienced with co-hosting?

So sweet of you!

@Ingrid39 wrote:

I thought I would try co-hosting to help build community, and this experience hasn't been great, but I'm not ruling out trying it again.

So you want 20% for doing what?  If I rent for 70$/night, you take 20% and then the house needs to be cleaned at 20$/h, tell me what the point is? Cohosting it's just a name, but it makes sense only if in that 20% the cleaning is included.  The owner still has full responsibilities for damages, utilities and purchasing everything that goes with the house.  It has to be fair.

You don't have to pay for the cleaning because that is a fee that the guest pay.

Co-hosting is taking care of your guest and be there when they need. As I work in hospitality and already have the experience I really understand what co-hosting means and how an owner can get the best of their property and the guest the best experience.

If you want to have the best income from your property while you are worry-free, look for an experienced co-host that can achieve these results. 

Hi Patrizia, 

Do you have a Co-host agreement you can share? 

**[Personal details removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Jodie11
Level 2
Brossard, Canada

Hi Jude,

We are in exactly the same spot - I filled out the co-hosting offer yesterday. I also struggled with the fee vs percentage because the amount of work can vary greatly depending on the options chosen and the size/nature of the rental property. Evidently, I can only go on my own experience here as a baseline and invariably readjust should my fee be too low or too high.

I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has co-hosted for a third party about their experience, the services they provided and their fee structure.

Another consideration for me locally is the fact that the AirBnb opportunity came to my area late - say 2015 - and now is cresting. Everyone with a spare room has a listing, which is driving the prices way down. I see many listings with prices below the cost of a camping space with services ( !!!). No doubt this will have an impact on any co-hosting fees of all but the most high end properties. I would be curious to know if hosts in other suburban areas have seen this evolve as well.

Should you come across any additional information, please post and I will do the same.

Good luck!

Rachel238
Level 3
New York, NY

Thanks Jude for asking, and Ingrid and Jodie for sharing insight!

So, I guess I'll

- aim for giving  ~15% of the listing for checking in/out and answering a few Qs during the stay  (I have a lot of info printed out for them & exchange suggestions before)

-  a cleaning fee.

-  of course, if I co-host, making sure it's a place I'm okay with being associated with.

- somehow building in some flexibility in case there's a mid-trip snafu or cancellation; or the upside, an especially glowing review...

What do others think?

Leven0
Level 2
Western Australia, Australia

if 15% if for the admin task (ie.organising calender, managing check in/out) then I think its ok.

Do you have to physically go to the property and do the linen changes, refill toiletries (at who's cost) etc?

If all the above were include I think its too little for the effort? Based on $150 nightly rate,15%=$22.50.

Neil395
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

$22.50.. per night. So a 3 night booking $67.50. A ten night booking $225. And you only have to do the changeover once.

Or am I missing something?

Am on the other side of this - looking for a co-host as I live out of town - and think 15% + cleaning fee is a pretty decent deal if it's a property that does well, is near-by etc.

Hi there.  do you have a co-host agreement you can share?  

businessmodel22@gmail.com 

Cecil2
Level 1
New York, NY

Hi Jude,

I appreciate your insights and that of the other respondents. I am in Manhattan where hosting fees can be at a premium. Unfortunately, in terms of being a co-host, I have been discouraged. I do all of my "chores" myself. The idea of cleaning someone else place or laundry for a host changing $200. per night @ 25% is unappealing. 25% of booking of lasting a month or more could be worth it. Considering that the original host does not want to do it for themselves and there is no telling how much is going to be required of me.  

C

Hi @Cecil2!

$50 to meet, greet, communicate, AND clean, does seem a bit ridiculous.  It seems like the cleaning fee should be a separate negotiation from the co-hosting fee.  $50 to meet, greet, and communicate PLUS a cleaning fee seems a lot more reasonable.  I pay someone $60 just to clean a small studio apartment in upstate New York.

If you would be willing to  meet, greet, communicate, and clean my apartment for 25% of my fee - I'd hire you immediately! 🙂

Jude