Appropriate Co-Hosting Fees?

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Appropriate Co-Hosting Fees?

I received a lovely email from Airbnb inviting me to offer my services as a co-host because of my reviews and superhost status.  I had never thought to do that before, but the idea intrigues me, as I have really enjoyed every aspect of the hosting experience.

As I went through the process of indicating my availability, and the services I could provide, I realized I had no idea what an appropriate percentage of compensation would be.  I also realize that this would depend upon the services I provided as a co-host.  

I would be really curious to hear what other hosts or co-hosts are paying/charging for this service, and what services are included in that percentage.  I do know this is a very personal decision, but having a sense of what others have thought was fair would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Warmly,

Jude

Rhinebeck, New York

88 Replies 88

Hi all. I am a recently hired co-host. This is great conversation I’m learning and getting a perspective. Question, when you say meet and greet do you mean in person, or just via text through the Air BnB app? Thank you. 

Hi Jude,

Do you have a sample host "co-host" agreement you could share?  

or at the least a list of tasks and duties for that co-host at a certain price point?  **

**[Personal details removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it the unit rents for $200nt with say a 3nt minimum, that's $150 per rental at the very least, yes?  What if you build in a cleaning fee of $50 (if it's a 1rm/1ba) The site does most of the work with regards to accepting fees & distributing payments.  You answer a few email, get a coded door knob & be available for the occasional crisis?  You make $200 for max couple hours of work at the most?  I'm not sure I understand the problem.  I'm thinking about co-hosting and I can't see the down side but on this site it sounds horrible.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I pay my co-host a fixed price for each full turnaround, including the laundry. It equals the price for 1 night in low season, so need a 3 night minimum to make it worthwhile.

Tatiana40
Level 2
Malibu, CA

Hello Jude,

I just started co-hosting for 3 rather big units (3 bedroom/3 bathrooms) in Malibu, CA. The units are right on the water and go for premium during the summer season (slightly lower in the winter). I do not clean the units myself but manage the cleaning crew schedule and supervise thier work, do not order supplies but manage the inventory, communicate with guests, greet them (when possible), arrange for repairs, etc. I get paid 7.5% of every listing minus Airbnb fee, not including the cleaning fee. To be honest, it's a lot of work, even when I don't need to come there, but hours are flexible (which is very improtant to me) and very close to my house, so I will have to see how it will progress. The fee is always negotiable with a host. I say if you just co-host just one unit, your % should be higher. Also, agree on a minimum pay for you with a host, before you start co-hosting. The nightly price might go down, especially during a slow season, your pay check might be considerably less (the amount of work will probably remain the same). 

I hope my answer helped

Liz265
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

I'm considering whether to partner up with a co host to help manage bookings on my property, so thanks for sharing your helpful insights 🙂

It looks as though the way to do this is to post out my requirements for co hosts to respond. 

My question is, until I can see what people are charging I'm not sure if I can actually afford it based on what I can realistically charge guests. So I'm just a bit worried about posting out a requirement which I can't then afford? Or is it a no obligation process?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks in advance 🙂

Liz

7.5% seems really really Low!

Hi Jude and all,
My husband and I are also super hosts and needed to travel for my daughters birthing of my first grand baby! We carefully considered co-hosting vrs shutting down for a month. We want to provide the best possible environment for our guests whether we are present or not. We chose a friend to co-host who is considering this as a future option for multiple properties. We live in Sedona, AZ, a sought after tourist and spiritual location that tends to be seasonal (twice per year). These factors create a lot of competition and add to our personal desire for a wonderful Sedona experience. We are paying our co 40% per booking. It is worth it to us. He does the communication, laundry and cleaning and restocking of food items and treats we provide. So far this has worked out very well. His reviews have been great

Hi @Christie-And-Mark0!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  40% feels just about right for that level of support.

Jude

I'm still trying to figure out how much is a reasonable co-host fee, but that number is really high and would kill my  cashflow. 25% (excluding cleaning) barely puts me into an acceptable range and would not if the unit rented at a discount for the whole month. Granted the 40% includes cleaning, laundry, and turning the unit. Since the cleaning fee is a flat fee and the management is a percentage this really depends on the turns. I don't like including the cleaning in because you can shift the numbers to create more or less turns to increase the number of cleaning fees and the number of days at the reduced long-term rate.

Hi Christie and Mark

I've been a super host for 5 years now, I've been asked to be a co-host for a big apartment, I have to do everything myself, what percentage should I ask?

Thank you soo much

Franco

HI Christie. Did you pay your co-host directly since you know him or through AirBNB? Thanks!

Tammy

SuperHost since 2015  at Captain's Cabin in Louisville, KY

Is this 40% of your profit or 40% including your expenses?  I'm trying to figure out how to hire a cohost and make it worth both of our time.  Say the income for your rental is 2,000 for the month and the mortgage is 1,000. (This is oversimplified, bc of course, you have water/electric/internet/sundries, but you get the idea. 

40% of the net (less expenses) is $400 and 40% of the gross is $800.  Thats a big difference.  Of course, the cleaning fee is separate in cohosting bc you can share the amount you collect directly with the cohost. 

I'm pretty such it is going to be gross (revenue). There's no way of telling what all the expenses are going to be. And if you have a slow month and it doesn't pay the mortgage are you going to tell the co-host they owe you money. Or let's say you break even, tell your co-host they aren't getting paid that month. Furthermore, you are telegraphing to the co-host how much you are making. Now that's a recipe for disaster. or what if you have the property paid off. Now your cashflow is much bigger than someone who is not because you don't have a debt service. It's definitely of the revenue.

I am wondering the same! FOLLOWING