Appropriate behaviour?

Vicki127
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Appropriate behaviour?

We've just had an auto booking by a man in his thirties who wishes to share a room and bed with his sixty year old mother. Does anyone feel that this is an appropriate use of AirBnB in a family home? He is refusing to cancel.

10 Replies 10
Susan869
Level 6
Lupton, United Kingdom

I’m not sure, is there anything that makes you feel uncomfortable? I have 3 daughters all in or approaching their 30’s and would happily share a bed with them whilst travelling.... would I do the same if I had sons? I like to think I would? It doesn’t mean there’s anything “weird” going on does it?

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Vicki127Its Ok,

Had a Greek Mother and 22 year son stay here for a week in the same king size bed, I did offer an Airbed, but not require.

They were some of the best guests ever had here, Mother took over the Kitchen as her Domain (typical Greek) then cooked for all of us during their stay.

Had some wonderful meals and times, they even supplied Retsina for evening meals. 🙂

@Vicki127

I have a friend who, once in a while, shares a hotel room/bed with his mother, and they think nothing of it.

They just sleep..that is it.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Vicki127

Vicki, I am now 73! If you ever had the oppotunity to talk to my youngest daughter Kate who is now 41 and ask her, 'what was the best holiday you have ever had'....she would say without hesitation, the month she and her dad had in Hawaii in 2009. We shared not only a room but, a few nights, the same bed. The very thought that anything about this was 'sinister' to any regular father, frankly Vicki is abhorent.

Vicki, the fact that you bring this up probably says more about you than it does about the potential guest.

I prefer not to see evil around every corner, you are new to hosting so I understand that you are apprehensive about who you allow into your home but Vicki, I can talk from experience! I am a Superhost with 180 guests who have entered my life, 140 of them through Airbnb.....

There is not one I would not gladly want to see walk up my driveway and into my life again.

Guests are going to be different and maybe have a different set of values to those you may hold true to yourself, but you will find, inviting the world into your house can be the most rewarding thing you will ever do in life.

Invite this guest with his mother, he has told you his position and you can be sure....he won't be sharing your room with a local 'callgirl'!

Cheers.....Rob

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"He is refusing to cancel."  

That insinuates the issue is pending, but it is not.  You asked him to cancel, probably more than once, then when he repeatedly refused, you went ahead and cancelled him. So why ask the question now, not sure about your decicion?

@Vicki127

There is nothing untoward about about the arrangement.

The way you ask the question already assumes something sinister is going on, and is frankly somewhat offensive.

I just realized you already cancelled the guest's reservation!

If you were looking for approval for your actions and thoughts about the guest,

I do not think you treated him well, and I do not agree with your thoughts on him and his mother.

As @Robin4 mentioned, this really says more about you than about him.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Vicki127When I read your post Vicki I was taken back. Seriously,? I think @Robin4 has it correct and it does say much about you. I hope not from your past. See we can make assumptions- and I personally hate doing that. 

This guy you mistrust and doubt is a Superhost and has 2 listings and reads like he is pretty cool from what his guests and he writes! If I were asked to cancel for such a request I'd think discrimination. Just think about it.  Happy Hosting, Clara

Robert918
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

This is totally weird, no offense but why would not I want to share bed with my mom or dad? regardless of how old I am and their ages. and i'm pretty sure that every one here agree that what is inappropriate about it?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I have a friend who has a son and 2 daughters. Any one of her children often climbed in bed with her, up to the ages of 17 or 18 when they still lived at home. They were all avid readers and liked to read out loud to each other in bed. The kids would usually fall asleep there. One night when her son, who was about 16 at the time, and she had just finished reading to each other, her son asked her "Mom, what's the Oedipus Complex?" (he had heard it mentioned somewhere). She explained the story. He said, "Oh", turned over and fell asleep. He's now married with 2 children and a perfectly normal human being.

Wil13
Level 2
Zoetermeer, Netherlands

So if it was a couple, it would be okay? Because you know what couples do in a bed right? 😛