April: Host Advisory Board Spotlight

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

April: Host Advisory Board Spotlight

Hi everyone!

It’s that time again - another spotlight from the Host Advisory Board and this month we’re talking to @Anna1403 in Pembrokeshire, Wales. Several of you have seen Anna around the Community Center and it’s apt that her piece comes today on Earth Day 2021, as her focus as an Advisory Board member is on Sustainability.

Check out the latest Resource Center article here which details what the Host Advisory Board has been doing around sustainability as well as Anna’s fascinating hosting journey.

Let’s use this thread to say hello to Anna and discuss sustainability! As always, please be respectful and constructive with your comments. 

Many thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

49 Replies 49
Rhonda46
Level 3
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

A checkbox is needed for Environmental Friendly Products. For many years we have provided Wool Dryer Balls, Mineral Balls (washing machine), reusable Swedish Dishcloths, fabric shopping bags, mesh vege/fruit bags and before COVID, only ecological cleaning products. It is easy to change over to environmentally friendly products!

James2696
Level 2
Jacksboro, TX

We started building a new lake and 35-person lodge on the lake 5 years ago with the objective of sustainability and energy use a big factor. We designed the pitch and direction of our lodge roof to maximize the production of our solar panels and added a battery system to allow emergency power in case of power outage plus reverse feed back into the grid to save on power consumption. The lodge is basically a steel and concrete storm shelter with a heavily insulated wall and roof. We collect water from the roof and it goes to an underground water storage tank as well as our lake. Building durable, low maintenance facilities has really paid off over the last four years. Steel, concrete, solar panels, batteries etc are all made from  fossil fuels so its the perfect blend of using our natural resources combined with the sun’s powerful contribution. We are placing solar panels on our new cabins to feed back into the grid and reduce our electrical bill. At the same time, our new secluded campgrounds and campsites are all designed to enhance and support our wildlife population which is growing daily. We have found ways to eliminate habitat destruction and improve the health of our bird, bee, deer, turkey, bobcat, armadillo, possum, raccoon, coyote population and our flower, tree and vegetation so that our guests can enjoy mother nature in a balanced ranch retreat environment.

Helen2361
Level 2
Epping, Australia

Hi Anna, wow this is amazing and so inspirational.

My husband and I are just beginning our hosting adventure with a little quaint log cabin in our 3 acre field - something we have dreamed of doing for a long time. Built with our fair hands.. ( there has definitely been some blood, sweat and tears)!

I have always been an ambassador for sustainable living and one of my projects at the moment is trying to grow my own British cut flowers to reduce our carbon footprint with imported flowers.... it’s a working progress. 
I am keen to continue learning how to live a more sustainable life and certainly inject that in our little cabin for our guest to enjoy.

looking forward to joining in on this journey with you and fellow Airbnb hosts

Helen. 

Martin3766
Level 1
Australia

Fantastic @Anna1403 and all those who are doing the same thing. I've just started hosting (The Summer House with bush backyard at Bawley - Bawley Point, Australia) and I'm very keen to see all these great sustainability ideas. Our place is already somewhat off-grid, with seep system sewer (off-grid absorption) and all water via roof harvest to tank.

We have furnished the house with recycled furniture and use a wonderfully sustainable toilet paper by "who gives a crap". 

We plant from a list of original native plants, since we are in a pristine area and seriously owe it to the land and the original inhabitants of the Murramarang Aboriginal Area.

Next will be solar, a battery and tips on local sustainability.

Cheers Martin & MaryEllen

Karen1100
Level 2
Nelson, Canada

Sounds amazing.  
@Anna1403

I would love to read your approach to sustainability and see your listing. Can you post your link?
karen