Are aquariums covered by the host guarantee?

Niklas7
Level 1
Lund, Sweden

Are aquariums covered by the host guarantee?

I see in the terms and conditions of the host guarantee that animals are not covered,  but what about stuff like aquariums, bird cages and such? What if you have to get a new one due to leaks or other damages? And for an old aquarium  it's unlikely that you have a receipt too, what then? 

7 Replies 7
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Hej Niklas, you need to get your own insurance. .

Sandra,

Of course home insurance can be used, but I was curious about the wording in the T&C and if anyone had experience with similar damages.

Apologies if this is a stupid and often-asked question, but what purpose does the host guarantee have over hosts home insurance (in general, I mean)? As I read the help articles about the host guarantee, extra insurance (such as home insurance) is recommended for that which is not covered. 

Then you have the security deposit which from what I understand is exactly for small damages such as, in this case, a leaking aquarium. If aquariums are covered by the T&C, which was my original question. 🙂

Man, are you seriously? Yes, there are some situations, when pet shops sell you bad things. Moreover, I have seen with my eyes like in my aquarium, after buying some new rocks and a ship, bobbit worms has appeared and begun to eat my fishes. Luckily, I managed to haul them. Do you think, that this pet shop would pay me my money back? But if I didn't manage to haul them, would they give my fish's life back? They need only money from us, they don't care about our health, much less about fish's one. In any case, if you want to see how these creatures look like and to read more about them, you can do it here - http://arcreef.com.

Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Niklas;

Airbnb is a home share platform, that requires you to have reasonable common sense and level of expectation when inviting the public into your space.

What Airbnb is not, is a  master plan or grand scheme that (obviously, you are planning ahead) gets someone else to pay to repair or replace all the things in your home that are worn out, fragile or a little bit broken.

Nancy,

Nothing obvious about it, it has actually happened. An aquarium that was fine for years had a leak after a guest had stayed for a few nights and had to be replaced. Please be careful with your accusations.

The safest option is to have your own comprehensive insurance to cover any damage caused by guests in your home. The host guarantee scheme really only comes into play if guest trash your home or cause significant damage. The security deposit is there for minor damage but you have to prove the damage, get estimates etc for repair. It does not cover wear and tear. So a leaking aquarium wouldn't be covered unless you can proved it was a guest damaged it. Hope that helps
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

How is this connected with a guest?

Perhaps you could explain further.

David