Are guests becoming more disrespectful?

Tara1
Level 3
Ann Arbor, MI

Are guests becoming more disrespectful?

This might be crazy, but I have noticed guests becoming more disrespectful over the years and I'm wondering if other hosts have seen the same.

I have hosted my home on Airbnb for 3 years. I have had over 60 bookings. I have always raved about how respectful my guests have been until the past few months. I have had some very bad experiences.  I'm wondering - as Airbnb is becoming more popular, are we getting more people on the platform who are treating our homes like hotels?  We rent our personal home so I am worried about continuing to list on the site if this keeps happening. 

94 Replies 94
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Russell49  Expectations of others go hand-in-hand with disappointment and blaming others for the disappointment. Those who don't have a lot of expectations experience less disappointment and are grateful for even small kindnesses.  

I agree Sarah. Part of the problem is that there is no consistency (which can be good). Guests that get extra complimentary items at one place, will expect it from the next accommodation. Guests are booking your room/home-not what's in your pantry or fridge. The discount is enough in itself and all else should be appreciated.I have noticed it is usually the crowd of 50 year olds that are the biggest whingers. I have had guests complain about the variety of complimentary teas, etc....these are the guests who will be unforgiving in reviews. These are also the guests who I will rate as harshly in reviews.

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

After having over 300+ guests, I have learned to review guests with how I perceive they will judge me. Guests are over-entitled at times. It is usually the ones who want the "extra" treatment that will be nit-picky in reviews/ratings. Be strict with reviews/ ratings as they ultimately will be with you the hosts.If they break a house rule, it is wise of the host to mention it in reviews-this gives a "heads up" to future hosts. Believe me, if we didn't describe our property as it really was or we would hear about it, just as if they break the rules the agree to before booking,then future hosts should hear about it. Be friendly with guests, but honest with ratings/reviews.

Yes yes yes i have run upto 40 air bnb properties for the past 3 years and since covid feel that the entire game has changed. My prices are the same or infact lower now my houses are much improved with extras like shampoo etc but the guests are mostly horrific these days. Here are a few examples 

Not reading listing even though part of my house rules are to fully read listing before booking then putting negative reviews due to their own negligence 

Requesting extra services last min then refusing to pay via the resolution centre

Bringing extra guests sometimes double the house max then writing paragraphs of revenge reviews after being caught

Bringing dogs to properties getting caught then writing revenge reviews to the point if pulling the racist card

Running out hot water and getting angry when i cannot heat a full tank of water at mid night

Constantly challenging me as to why my places are not like other air bnbs they have stayed at ( we charge seperately if a guest would like our linen service) however the guests that challenge this have usually booked a place for 8 people for $200 i mean seriously they have no clue how much time and money it takes to provide linen and towels for large groups and i dont see why air bnb should charge me or the guest for a service they have nothing to do with. 

I even have people that have not booked get angry about peak season prices and spend all day messaging me about what a shocking business we are.

To be honest its all becomkng a bit of a joke the air bnb deposit is useless and not in our control at all and the strict rules that are near to impossible to adhere to for the host guarantee are sole destroying. 

Dont expect air bnb to help out when rules have been broken property has been damaged or guests leave reviews clearly breaking the review content because they wont in fact no matter whether by phone or email air bnb are seriously hard to get hold of and then just bombard you with a load of polite rehersed lines and tell you they will pass you to a department that can help which never happens.

Basically when considering becoming a host be prepared to loose your mind and soul or become a slave to people who want something for nothing.

Guests will be guests.... Sometimes they are ideal and respectful and are able to grasp that these are people homes. Unfortunately, the recent string of guests that I have had have been noisy, messy, and "care-free". I think this might have to do with Airbnb becoming more popular and attracting new users who are not aware of the community guidelines. More so, I think people are going to be a little but rambunctious because of the restrictive life styles we have all experienced this past year, this will hopefully be toned down as the market opens back up. The most effective thing I have done thus far to deter rude behavior is get to know the guests more, walk them through the property, and help them understand the care that I have for them and my home.