Are guests changing mentality?

Olivia363
Level 3
Stockholm, Sweden

Are guests changing mentality?

This is my fourth summer doing airBnb and I feel I don't enjoy it anymore. Am I the only one feeling guests have changed? They seem to expect hotel prestations and do not respect my privacy, spend hours in the kitchen and go to the outdoor space which is off limit. I offer 40 sq m (room, tv room, own shower, working space) but still spend time in my kitchen... 

44 Replies 44
Jody79
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Olivia363 We've learned that if you don't want someone in an area, lock it up.  We also don't provide access to ourback yard and have put a padlock on the gate to prevent guests from going back there.  We also do not allow guests to use our laundry room, however have put a padlock (and make sure it's locked) on that door as well since we've found guests will use it if it's not locked up.

Bronwyn11
Level 6
Auckland, New Zealand

I've been lucky so far but have sensed a change in that some people have 'hotel' expectations for half the cost.

Is encouraged by Airbnb in that they are demanding more from their hosts. If they go too far I'll unlist and deal with people privately.

#Truth!! Everything you said!

Agreed! the whole entitlement-SJW culture is hampering respectful discourse .  I've been a landlord for 15+ years and I learned that you have to remind yourself that you are  a business owner. If you get to chummy and friendly the customer does not expect chums and friends to charge a fee.  

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Olivia363  even if guests have changed, asking guests not to go to outdoor in this hot weather all around Europe I think it is a little bit too much, to be honest. Fresh Air is priceless is warm weather I cannot see anyone been offended by guests wanted to go out from time to time.

Olivia363
Level 3
Stockholm, Sweden

Hello, I am in Sweden so it is not that hot and I m in a flat so people who book would not expect access to outdoor (which I do not advertise either). Moreover the city offers plenty of parks and beaches suitable for outdoor stay. Anyhow I do not dare telling guests they are not supposed to be outdoor (and when they are, I have to be inside), but I really don't enjoy the situation, so I may stop the whole thing. The reason why I do not want them to be in my outdoor space is 1) I want to be able to be there myself 2) I don't want neighbors to comment my airbnb activities with guests changing everyday (my outdoor space is in fact not mine, but located in the common area) 3) some guests do not "fit" in my nice area and residence (I have had some male tattooed guests removing their tops and that makes me uncomfortable)

Olivia363
Level 3
Stockholm, Sweden

And by the way the outdoor thing is just an example of things which bother me and which did not happen before. Another thing is that guests think it s normal to have priority for kitchen use even on weekdays when I go to work. This bothers me tremendously and did not happen before as a normal guest would understand I need to hurrry for work.

Set up rules and post signs. I do that and I rarely have any issue. I also go over rules when I check them in. I honestly can't remember the last time I had a guest violate a rule I went over during check-in.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Olivia363 

I think maybe it is a courtyard, or ur setting leading to a courtyard when other tenants can see. I have lived in Stockholm Vasastan/Olstermalm/Lilla Essinge for 9 years so I know-how apartment/neighbours work in Stockholm.  

Maybe try to host when u are away or during winter. In summer people spend time out even if it is out of reach in ur listing, they will still do it because they won't understand why u will refuse to let them use outdoor space. And if they come from a country when guys like taking the shirt off, nothing will stop them.

For the kitchen use, maybe rewrite house rules/ or stop kitchen use access in ur listing during the summer season and remind guests with same info when sending check-in instruction.
Or u can also limit to Light Cooking only allowed.

Good luck 

Olivia363
Level 3
Stockholm, Sweden

Yes, seems you understand how it looks like and what the issue can be. I only rent out when my children are away, that is in summer. But as I have observed a clear change in mentality, I may entirely stop. Why does AirBnb ask to be specific about kitchen and outdoor space use in the listing description if it is ok not to respect it?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I have noticed a change in guests overall this year....more who don't bother to communicate in their initial message(s), they don't return messages in a timely manner, they don't even acknowledge that they're receiving messages during their stay, and are not interested in any exchange with the hosts, and many, many fewer of them do the reviews.  

Yes, I started in 2015.

2019 is the worst. We face an only Airbnb guest policy.

I can't stand Airbnb anymore. They're going down.

When I can, will rent on a normal basis. Too many risks, too much worries, too much cleaning... No time for us. 

Olivia363
Level 3
Stockholm, Sweden

yes thats is so very true. I have to insist to get an ETA and clearly they do not have any interest in communicating except lonely travellers which are rare. I feel I am going home backwards, not looking forward to meeting my guests at all.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Olivia363   If it is your assessment that the Air BNB guest is changing in a way that is not suitable for your hosting situation and you are thinking about deactivating your listing, perhaps you could make changes in your hosting style that you are comfortable with.  For example, in your reservation confirmation message, you could reiterate the outdoor and kitchen restrictions and ask the guest to confirm their understanding.  Then during your welcoming of your guests, you  could once again confirm the restrictions in a way that points out the wonderful close parks and many restaurants nearby.  By the way, there is a recent review that reflects you agreed to the use of the kitchen, so that is a confusing message for potential guests.  To simply see the guest as a problem is to deprive you of what you enjoyed about this business, including the income.

I also have had to adjust my hosting a bit over the years.  I have decided I do not want guests seeking to stay for longer than a week, and that is eliminating a more intrusive type of guest.