Are hosts leaving guest reviews less often?

David6574
Level 2
Portland, OR

Are hosts leaving guest reviews less often?

Hi all! I've been a user of Airbnb since late 2015, entirely as a guest. I've noticed some interesting things about hosts that have reviewed or not reviewed me.

Basically, of 10 Airbnbs I've rented in Europe, 7 of the hosts left a review for me. 

In East Asia, however, I've rented 7 Airbnbs since 2016, and I finally received my first review from a host yesterday. I will post it here in its entirety, "thankl". Obviously, not very helpful to future hosts that want to make sure that I'm a good guest.

Since I'm not a host, I'm unaware of the host side of things. Does Airbnb provide any sort of "onboarding" for hosts, telling them of the importance of leaving reviews and attempting to communicate with guests? Do hosts whose first language is not English feel that they are required to write reviews in English?

7 Replies 7
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @David6574 🙂

Another guest asked about more or less the same in this thread. Hope it will answer your questions 🙂

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/New-trend-Hosts-not-leaving-reviews/td-p/885901

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David6574  I review all my guests. I have noticed, when looking over reviews, that there are some hosts who never review their guests. I'm not sure why this is. Maybe they just can't be bothered, maybe they have so many listings and guests that it's overwhelming and they can't make the time, maybe it's location dependent. I doubt it has to do with hosts thinking they have to review in English when that's not their native language and they aren't particularly fluent in it.

Maybe you should start mentioning to hosts that you'd really appreciate it if they left a review for you, as you are trying to build up reviews for future bookings. There's nothing wrong with asking.

You can actually see if a host leaves reviews for their guests before you book a place, if that would be a factor for you in what places you booked. When you look at the reviews for a place, just click on the guest's profile photo that left the review, which will take you to the guest's profile. There you can scroll down the guest's reviews to see if that host left a review for them. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

That's a great point @Sarah977 

I take  care with my reviews and generally enjoy writing them. I have also always to date received a review (oh except once).

But from my perspective if I don't review its because I couldn't say something positive. I have yet to hone my negative reviewing skills!!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

The whole world has got chronic review fatigue @David6574 - and Airbnb hosts have chronic review fatigue X 1000. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Susan17 

Haha! I know what you mean.... but are you reviewing? It is important xx

Got any tips to share? Have you done a negative yet?

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Come over here to Wales and the UK. I'll review you!!!!!! xxxx

I have a penfriend in Portland Oregon. We would loooooove to have you. Sorry about the missed reviews in Asia its a mystery. Although GOOD will do. I accepted a group on that basis once though they weren't too 'good' for me. I had to ask them to leave early!

Come up to Seattle and I will write a great review for you!!!