Are some British airbnb hosts the most two faced/nastiest guests??

Venus4
Level 3
Newbury, United Kingdom

Are some British airbnb hosts the most two faced/nastiest guests??

Happened twice now -- in 2016 we hosted a couple who were also running AirBnB somewhere like 70 miles away from ours.....they were 2 hours late with no communication, all niceties when turned up  -- left the flat in a state (pillows and duvets on floor, gambling slips on dining table)  then had the nerve to leave a horrible review.  

Another couple did not follow the directions we gave them to find the flat, then parked a mile up the road, we had to walk and find them.....all niceties as usual ....  and complained about our directions when it came to the review.  Guess we should be thankful this group did not trash the place!  

You want to have hope in people but we are starting to think of trusting our gut instinct and turn down these guests as soon as there is an 'odd feeling'  (yes both groups gave us the heebie jeebies! ) 

18 Replies 18
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Venus4

I don't think you can suggest that based on two out of the many thousands of hosts who are in the UK 🙂

Would you for example think that you yourselves fit into the category of being two faced/nasty?

Venus4
Level 3
Newbury, United Kingdom

I know it was a bit harsh...that's why I said some, not all.  We always made our guests known of any problems via email or face to face....... this post  is out of frustration that things have seem to have taken a pattern.... there are other incidents like a couple of "professionals" who broke down our flat neighbour's door as they came back drunk....and a family whose unpaid bills now come to the flat address.  Of course we've had great British guests too....and strangely enough they'll be ones who are not hosts.  We feel SOME may do the nasty things to wreck what we have or out of spite... we don't really know.  I'm sorry if you found the article offensive. .just wondering if anyone else had same experience.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You wouldn't necessarily know @Venus4 whether people are hosts. You for example have no listing attached to your profile.

@Venus4

Why bother saying you're sorry if they found your post offensive? 

the best motto from the AA program is - You Spot it - You Got It'

Best Wishes

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Venus4

hosts in general are more judgemental then other guests. And almost all of them will let you know what you should do to improve your place 😛

@Venus4 I have to give the right answer to @Branka-and-Silvia0 they hit on something crystal clear.

sometimes hosts make the worst guests.it is quite ironic but true.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I believe hosts arent the best guests to host : )

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

Well, I am British and an AirBnB host and I find the generalisation in your posting offensive.

We have travelled with airBnB in the Uk, Ireland and Cuba and will again. We are back from a trip around the Cotswolds and Oxford staying at 4 airBnB places and hopefully every host and co-host had no issues with us. i guess we will be bypassing Newbury next time we travel your way

@Andrew157 , ohhhh, c'mon now! no need to get back at @Venus4 with a remark about bypassing Newberry...... One can always get the gist of someone's post and fully realize it's just a personal observation offered up, nothing personal about YOU 🙂 

In my life time I have witnessed and been exposed to many remarks about Germans (I am German) that weren't exactly flattering. Did they talk about ME?? heck no, they talked about my grandparents or someone I have never met, that's how I always choose to see it.  So I just laugh along... works fine fo me 🙂

But come to think of it, I could start a whole new thing about Texans......

@Annette33   Manchmal kann man nicht mit einer Wurst gewinnen

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

The worst guest I've ever had in 7 yrs of doing B&B and 3yrs of self catering was a host from London.

@Andrew157  do you have problems booking with hosts when your profile picture is of a sheep, I & others won't accept bookings without a facial shot.

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

That picture is a Herdwick.

We have never had any problems with bookings using the picture of the local sheep. We have booked both instant book and after approval by the host. There are a number of reasons why neither of us have a real pictur,e these include that most pcturesof me look like my passport and we are still working in our professional capacity in the national park we wish there to be less linkage between the airBnB and the other work.

I had to register governement ID to stay in Dublin (Rathmines) but having told the host we were getting the freight ferry from Heysham (which is excellent and cheaper than Holihead-Dublin) she suggested we left our car at her place and drop off our bags before heading into Dublin by bike

Linda-And-Marc0
Level 4
San Jose, CA

Hello Venus,
Sorry you had a bad experience with these two. I would say people of all nationalities are capable of being awful, but for the most part, our guests are wonderful and teach us new things all the time.

Reviews are hard. No matter how great you do, some people will unfairly mark you down. it happens in all customer-facing situations: retail, restaurants, services.  Learn what you can from reviews with substance, and use their ideas improve over time for future. For the unfair or unexplained downgrades, try to ignore them. IT IS HARD!  Remember, it's not you, it's them.

Best wishes with your next few guests,

Yours, Marc (and Linda) in San Jose California) 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Venus4 I am sorry to hear that you met some bad guests but such things does happen on Airbnb especially if you are hosting locals speaking from my own experience as a host i have notice that local people are more careless and disrespectful of the house rules than foreigners. I personally prefer to host a foreigner than a local and what i would advice you to do is to turnoff instant booking if ever you are using it and always check the reviews left by previous hosts on the guest's profile. Be careful next time when you are mentioning any nationality here people tend to get offended very quickly by this. Good luck for the future!!!