Are we able to host bookings in our property in England during lockdown?

Craig588
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Are we able to host bookings in our property in England during lockdown?

Hello all,

Airbnb have blocked out our property (a Shepherds Hut in England) and made bookings unavailable for our property for the period of the current lockdown.   However, on searching other properties near us, I notice that there are lots of properties still available and open for bookings.   My question is: why are these properties available and allowed to take bookings and ours is blocked out and made unavailable by Airbnb (and even if we wanted to, we can't change this and make it available)?

Further, we have received a request from a key worker to book a short stay during the lockdown, which I believe is lawful and permissible, but we cannot accommodate this booking as Airbnb has blocked out our calendar. I have contacted Airbnb, with difficulty, but to no avail at present as I just receive a template response directing me to the UK government pages, but not responding to my points about key workers (who are allowed to travel and stay at places during lockdown) and about why other bookings are available and open for booking.

We are suffering due to the Covid Crisis and lockdowns and are keen to maximise our revenue, where lawful and permissible, but are also keen to respect Covid restrictions.  If hosting of bookings is not allowed at all in the UK during lockdown, I am interested to know why so many other properties are being advertised as available and taking bookings and Airbnb is allowing this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

20 Replies 20
Jerry250
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

@Craig588 The email I received from Airbnb dated 5th November (but retrieved from my spam) states:

Due to COVID-19, there are new emergency government measures in place that affect how you can host and travel in England.

In order to do our part to keep everyone safe, there will be restrictions on new bookings for stays that take place between 6 November and 2 December. This means that you will see temporary calendar blocks appear on your listing for those dates. Guests who are booking stays of 28 days or more that are legally exempt will still be able to book during this time.

So maybe the stays you are seeing as possible exceed 28 days? The underlined hyperlink in the email links to the correct government page outlining who can legally travel. Advice from Hospitality UK is that accommodation providers should show 'due diligence' and ask guests which reason they are relying on and ensure it applies to all members of the group. 

Craig588
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thanks - no, the other properties are available for short stays.  I did a search of midweek next week for 2 days and there were dozens of properties available in Kent, including some with inflated prices.  We are more than happy to comply with the legislation, as appropriate, even if we will suffer for it, but it would be nice to see Airbnb apply their policies consistently and make it a level playing field for all.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Craig588  As Airbnb aren’t allowing to take the booking through them just take it as a direct booking or direct them to one of the other booking channels you use 

Obviously your guest would need to provide you with evidence they are coming to your area to work (it would be slightly strange for them to want to stay short term in a shepherds hut if that was the case). 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

That's odd @Craig588  - I've done a check around my area (West Cumbria), and all the private rooms AND entire places I clicked on round me all have the 28 day pop up when you click on the date to try to book..... Have you tested this? - You will only see calendars open  when the host has a 28 day or more run available.

I too was expecting a new booking this coming week, from a worker from 2 weeks ago, said he'd come back after his hols last week, but of course he won't be able to book now... - If he has the inspiration to contact me thru an enquiry, I can of course go off platform...

- Lots more posts from anxious Brits on this subject on other recent posts, btw.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Craig588 I believe that Airbnb have again overstepped the mark on blocking all properties. Whilst I understand that many hosts and guests do not understand the law but it would be better if Airbnb put effort into education rather than incorrectly blocking properties.

My advice is to replicate your property on booking.com which is my plan over the next few days. 

By the way - Your key worker can only come for work not for a holiday.

Helen350
Level 10

Yesterday I needed to message CS for help cancelling a 1 night holiday booking from a lady who IB-ed 10 Nov AFTER lockdown was announced. I'd asked her to cancel & she was polite & understanding, but then I got the flash from Airbnb that my guest had asked ME to cancel! Obviously I didn't trust that, in case I lost SH or had the 'host cancelled' on my profile. So I messaged CS - who responded in person by message after about 1/2 hour - not bad! -CS told me I MADE A MISTAKE HAVING MY CALENDAR OPEN, ALLOWING GUEST TO BOOK! (holiday)- and that I should block my calendar to stop it happening again! - THEN the official block for anything less than 28 days hit us all!  

I wish I'd said my piece re calendars NEED to be open for legitimate bookings, not my "medical student" who was trying her luck with me, after the final night of a 10-14 day holiday fell through.... But I'd had my issue fixed with CS, had had them cancel without penalty to either of us, so hadn't the stomach to battle the calendar issue.....

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Josh190 

Josh190
Level 2
Chester, United Kingdom

@Craig588 I reflect your sentiment. I have input numerous searches in my local area for long and short stays and found a range of different spaces still available (including self check in and not, private rooms and whole places etc.). What is the logic here? I have had issues to edit current bookings to which is impossible, even though the email from Airbnb suggested allowing for booking modification - I spent 3 hours on the phone with Airbnb yesterday evening and told to which, there was no solution. Not good in addition to the apparent inconsistency in blocking of calendars.

Helen350
Level 10

Did you click on the available dates @Josh190 ? Was the '28 days only' pop up appearing?

Carol5573
Level 2
Goodwood, United Kingdom

So, I posed this question to Airbnb yesterday:

Please can Airbnb explain why they have blocked the calendars of UK hosts from 6th November until December 2nd who are legally able to accept bookings from guests who are travelling for work, moving home, attending funerals.

Here is their response:

Hi Carol, thank you for your patience and understanding.

I would like to inform you that due to the government restriction in United Kingdom, dates from November 6 to December 2, 2020 were automatically blocked in your calendar. Various governments, such as United Kingdom, have requested support from Airbnb on containment efforts related to COVID-19, and automatically blocking the affected dates is one of the things done to have cooperation with the government. That being said, accepting reservations is not currently possible due to the government restriction. Would totally appreciate your understanding on this matter.

Thanks in advance for your understanding. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions—we're always more than happy to help!

Kind Regards.T

Any thoughts from fellow hosts...

Helen350
Level 10

My thoughts..... I'm CROSS!

T from CS does not know what s/he's talking about! - Accepting CERTAIN reservations IS possible! (allowed.)

Tho' in their defence I can see why they chose the one size fits all blanket approach...

1) Not all hosts can be trusted to only host workers, not holidaymakers....

2) CS probably don't want to be bombarded by host requests for penalty free cancellations when cheeky guests IB something they shouldn't for a jolly.... (They've just told me I made a mistake for leaving my calendar open, & I had to ask them to cancel a tourist who IB-ed after Boris's announcement.)

I've recently turned down 4 illegal bookings... 2x IBs cancelled & 2 enquiries not accepted (Got told to F*** Off by enquirer with 2* review - bullet dodged!)  .... So naughty people are willing to flout the new rules!

I'd still like my calendar open tho so I can accept legit guests, and turn away the leisure visitors.

Craig588
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

What is most infuriating is that I am putting in a search of 11-13 November for "Kent" in and I am seeing over a dozen other properties available for that 2 night stay.  Why are Airbnb allowing this or how have these properties managed to work around Airbnb's blanket blocking out of calendars?  All we are asking for is a level playing field and the ability to accommodate requests in line with Covid legislation, i.e. key workers and the like.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What happens when you actually go to book @Craig588 

As others have mentioned you can still use the search but when you go to book normally for English booking the 28 days pops up. 

@Craig588 Are the listings you are seeing in your search results from companies who advertise properties on Airbnb?

Duncan6
Level 2
Newsham, United Kingdom

Hello,
On this theme:
I have just accepted a booking request for 2nd to 7th April so before UK lockdown lifts on 12th of April.
The reason I accepted is that they messaged to say they were travelling for a 'job interview' which I deemed as suitable evidence that their reason to stay was within regulations as travelling for work.
Since I accepted, they appear to have changed their tune and say they are 'visiting friends'.
I then checked their reviews in detail & it appears they have had a dispute with a host where it appears they were not being entirely honest.
I am obviously now pretty uncomfortable with this booking.
If I cancel, what are the implications with Airbnb?
Thanks.