Are welcome gifts/snacks a good idea?

Answered!
Jan271
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

Are welcome gifts/snacks a good idea?

What is your opinion about welcome gifts?

We are typically hosting tourists that comes to enjoy Copenhagen for a couple of days, which also means that we don't have any repeat guests.

We provide coffee, tea and other basics if our guests wants to cook. Our apartment is super well situated in the center,  modern with an "upmarket" feel, and we generally get good ratings from our guests (avrg 4.9) on over 100 stays, which we of course are happy and proud of.

What would be the pros and cons of providing a welcome baskets of some snacks? Is it worth it or just an unnecessary expense?

1 Best Answer
Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

In my opinion, this is a great way to surprise and delight a guest. Hotels usually charge for snacks but I never really understood this because snacks are pretty low cost and definitely increase the quality of a guest's stay, which translates into positive reviews. Surprise and delight, if you can source any snacks, coffee, teas from your local stores, especially if it gives the guest a taste of your area, these sort of gestures are appreciated and well received. 

View Best Answer in original post

55 Replies 55

@Robin4  Well done! Now you’ve got me making a mental list of all the local markets in my area.  Kudos to your ingenuity!

Carole168
Level 2
Galveston, TX

I live and operate in a tourist area and always leave a small tray with a small bouquet of fresh flowers from my garden , cost 0. In season I leave a small bottle of fresh squeezed orange juice from the trees in my garden and a simple fresh fruit platter. It’s really appreciated and makes my guests feel cared for. It takes a little extra time but I enjoy doing it. 

Noeline5
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

Kia ora Jennifer

I provide a kitchen in my studio in the garden with full cooking facilities. I also provide toast bread, condiments (butter, marmalade, NZ honey and vegemite), milk (of their preference), tea, coffee and hot chocolate. I also provide home baked cookies for guests staying more than two nights, and at Christmas home baked fruit mince pies and star shaped shortbread. I keep a meticulously clean studio which sits in  a beautiful garden.

But it is still impossible to please some guests!

I have just lost my Superhost status by .1 and I am devastated. I received a two star rating! Problem was that guest wrote his feedback in German and with no translation available I was unable to respond. This is unfair. On another occasion, about a year ago,  I received negative feedback from German guests to whom I had obliged by giving access to the studio at 7am in the morning! They wrote that it was stuffy. Good grief the studio has 7, yes 7 opening windows!

Jennifer, keep doing what you are doing, there will always be negative guests out there, not sure what they are after but move on and think about all the guest who are very happy with the great service and value that you offer. Kia kaha Noeline

Noeline, sorry to hear about your experience. I feel with you. Guests can be ever so critical and mean, but hang in there. I’m sure you’ll be a super host again in no time.

Hi @Jan271   chalk board with a personal welcome message is priceless.

I recently stayed in an upmarket hotel in Bruges  (I hasten to add on a good deal) and seeing that someone had taken the bother to welcome us to the room by name (with WiFi code "pleaseleaveagoodreview" lol) made the stay more personal and more memorable.

Needless to say they got a good review!

Hello everyone,

When I first started hosting, I offered a stuffed welcome basket (tea, coffee, cheese, jam, biscuits and a small bottle of wine). Guests liked the reception, however when evaluating the stay, some gave 4 stars in the Quality-Price item, which led me to conclude that guests did not realize the money spent in the welcome basket was included in the price of the stay.

Now I still offer something, but I cut the quantity. As the accommodation is in Porto, Portugal, I leave a custard tart and a glass of Porto wine.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Jan271 @Rita662 @Kevin1322 @Pat271 @Noeline5  et al!

So great to see this topic because we were about to ask something similar! Like @Robin4 shared, any piccy's you've got of your wonderful welcome goodies would be fab!

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Stephanie 

Just a follow on from the last post of mine here is the (edible) condiment package every guest gets.....

IMG20200114163740.jpg

Once again, I can only offer this by doing deals in my area. The only things I pay full price for there are the milk, tea, and coffee. However, I do by the largest containers of coffee when out on a half price special and decant the contents into the smaller jar as required! Everything else you see there I do deals on. I never spend more than $9.00 AU ($6.50 US) on a guest restock!

Cheeses.....average 25c per cheese ........75c...negotiated deal

Fruit plate .............average ......$1.70..........I chase daily specials.

Milk..........................average.......$2.00.........standard price. sometimes discount, close to use/by.

Coffee....................average ...........40c........many guests don't drink, this covers top ups!

Water......................average............30c.......I buy 24 bottle packs as 1/2 price special $6.50

Eggs....................................................N/C.......We get them fresh daily next door! 

Bacon.....................average............50c........neg deal

Bread......................average............30c........multigrain loaf shared with our use

Beer.........................average........$1.00.........neg deal. near end date, Dan Murphy's

Nuts and crackers..........................60c........I chase specials

Jams and spreads..........................80c........Beerenberg 200 unit bulk pack @ $6.00

Lindts Chocolate............................40c ....... Ebay carton deal, a few very slightly heat affected.

Coke...................................................N/C........Warehouse dropped and discarded. neg deal

Cereals...................average...........60c.........12 refills from 1 Kg packs @ $7.00

Total for me to purchase............$9.35...But I would very rarely have a guest who uses 'or takes' everything. More often than not my restock between guests comes to around $5-6.00, and strangely very few of the longer stay guests want things restocked, maybe a bit more butter, some more eggs and bacon. If their staying a few days they tend to bring what they want with them!

It really pays to strike deals!

Cheers......Rob

CherylAndKevin0
Level 1
Whanganui, NZ

Hi

I'm from a small city which has a super climate for growing fruit & vege. We have our own gardens with chooks and bees.

I leave a generous fruit basket, plus our own honey or home made jams and jellies. These always go  down well, especially if there are children who we allow to help collect the eggs etc. 

It doesn't cost much but gives that personal touch which guests wouldn't get from motel/hotel stays.

Kia Ora

Cheryl from NZ

Janice311
Level 1
Hereford, United Kingdom

Hi Jan

Shoot me down in flames but here goes. I have a small annexe in my country home. I am quite new to Airbnb , I decided to provide the makings of a simple breakfast, cereals, bread, margarine, butter, jams, honey. Also supply small juice carton and some soft drinks, teas , coffees ,  biscuits. I accept I have not really calculated the full cost, not massive. I also supply condiments, oil, vinegar, mayo etc. I find people really appreciate it. I just keep a close eye on sell by dates and use what they leave. I have had great reviews. I hate wasting food but as I can use it, there isn’t that issue. In my profile I suggest to guests that there are the makings of breakfast, teas coffees etc. It works for me. Saves guests heading out to source supplies on arrival.

Jan 

John2406
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Whether Hosts want to provide a welcome pack or not to their Guests, as well as how much or how little is contained in one surely has to be up to each Host to decide for her/him-self, plus, as many have suggested on here, their prices are "competitive" so to pay out for more than a 'basic' couple of items, would greatly affect their pockets.

I, however, look upon our Guests receiving one of our Welcome Packs, as being a great start to their stay - and having provided what I believe to be the biggest free-of-charge Welcome Pack in the world to everyone who stays at our place, and what's more, everyone loves what we provide!

To those who query what to provide as they don't know what allergies, Guests' might have, as well as whether the people who walk through the front door are vegan, vegetarian or omnivores, the best way to find out is to ask in advance (which is what I do, to each and every Guest that books).

It has always been my belief, my philosophy that providing accommodation to and for Guests should ensure that each and every one of them (especially bearing in mind that they have chosen your, or my, property to stay at) is treated as though they're an old friend one hasn't seen for a long time, and that they will remember the kindness, and everything else provided, so much, that they will want to return (again and again).

Of course, I fully understand that not all properties, let alone Guests/Hosts, facilities, and what's provided, can ever be a level playing field, but what (in my opinion) all Hosts should have uppermost in their minds is that without Guests, none of us would be in business, and whilst I do acknowledge that "profit" is what we all want to make, the same word can also be a very bad master.

If anyone is interested in knowing what I provide to our Guests, I'll be more than happy to post a list of everything, but for the moment I'll leave you to ponder on the above, for after all, hopefully we're all in the business of providing a "Service" to Guests?!

@John2406

Hi! I would love to know some of the items you provide! I am new to hosting and have a honeymoon couple coming soon.. I want to leave a special something to welcome the newlyweds, but what? And how do ask them what is appropriate for their special welcome basket? Thanks 

Manasui0
Level 10
Bali, Indonesia

@Jan271 

personally

I believe gift basket should not be a basket, instead is just a "gift basket":

it should be unique, it should be different.. the part that you are free to be original, with out standards and limitation.. no level   of indication that is good.. 

instead is a signature of your home.. 

it has an open ing, a content, a short summary or twist, and an ending.. like a letter or a booked.. your personality are written in signature.. I think a "gift basket" should be some thing from the heart.. 

It can be a small poo.. I'll wonder how that would turn out.. a small poo in silver plater..hehhehehehe

Jeffrey Bong
Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I think it's a nice gesture but not worth the extra money and time. I've cooked breakfast before or left wine for a special occasion along with other treats and for the most part guests don't appreciate it. No thank you or mention of it on their review.

Ian611
Level 4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

We leave some biscuits in small packets and a litre of milk in the fridge as a welcome snack,Also  supply breakfast cereal,tea,coffee and tea.