Are you a Host with children?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Are you a Host with children?

Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 14.18.14.png

Hiya everyone,

As some of you know, I’ve got a little one of my own and he can be a right handful, especially when balancing work, buying and selling a house and a plethora of other bits and pieces in the day-to-day. 

This got me to thinking, I wonder what it’s like to handle children when trying to Host, too? Are they supportive co-hosts or hindering “helpers”? I know many of you have kids that are grown up with kids of their own now, which is what has freed up that spare room for you to Airbnb!

Do you have helpful co-hosts or less cooperative kids?

Put me to shame, show me how you keep those plates spinning. I look forward to your stories.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

73 Replies 73
Fields-Of-Luxury0
Level 2
Baton Rouge, LA

I have 3 little ones & I’m thankful that I’m not hosting at my primary house because it’s definitely their territory & they would run my guest right out of the door lol. I did find it challenging when I cleared in between stays I would take them with me to clean & they would be everywhere. It was annoying but I made it happen. Now that they’re used to it they’ve gotten better but I’ve now been able to hire a cleaner so we don’t have to go as much. 

Sarah4109
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

We have 3 children 22, 16 and 5.

we have been hosts for nearly 2 years.

Our 22 year old helps with our social media and answers questions, queries from guests she has just finished a law degree so deals with contracts terms and conditions for our listing. 

Our 16 year old is autistic- he helps with stripping and making beds and general cleaning tasks… this gives him experience in the world of work as well as gives him life skills so he can one day live as independently as possible.

Our 5 year old appears in promotional pictures for our listing.

It’s a family affair and we love it. 😊

Angie233
Level 2
Alabama, United States

Hosting at Lewis Smith Lake ALABAMA has been a joy for the entire family. The kids enjoy leaving a surprise at the dock for the guest to use 

C0F4227D-43AA-43B4-8F33-F4392A8FC75F.jpeg

@Stephanie 

I'm semi-retired and am home-schooling two girls aged, 12 & 14.  To say the least, I'm pretty much running the whole kit & kaboodle.  My wife helps with the laundry...but other than that. 
Keep up the good work...

Nathalie1670
Level 1
Dryden, Canada

I'm  50 this year with a 2 1/2 year old.  She loves helping any way she can, I have a small cottage that I rent out to Travellers.   She likes to wipe stuff down or put water bottles in the fridge or bring toilet paper to the bathroom and so on.  Some days I get a bit frustrated and want to just hurry and get it done but I remind myself that she's only 2.

Kudos to you @Nathalie1670 for having a go with a little one. 

Ikaneng1
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I have  separate suites. Though they are on the property, they are not so close that our guests can be affected by noise or anything or included in our conversations. I would advice to let the guests know that you have kids, their age and energy a must to mention. Wouldn't advice anyone to host within their home when they have children. I'm just so paranoid about that because you don't know who you are bringing into your home. Thats My say and Good Luck

@Ikaneng1  Being cautious about strangers in your home when you have children isn't what I'd call paranoid. 

I don't think it's necessarily a dangerous thing to host when you have children in the hosting home, but I certainly would never let a child be alone with a guest, unless they were obviously no one you had to worry about.

I know personally of 3 situations where friends' young kids were being  molested by someone close to them and the parents didn't clue in until it had been going on for awhile.

You can't live your life being wary of everyone and being paranoid, nor instill that in your children, but you just don't let your kids ever be in situations where that could happen, and of course they need to know to tell you right away if anything has.

I cringe when I see hosts using photos of their kids as hosting profile photos. It's a really bad idea. Photos of your children are for family and friends, not something to post for everyone on the internet to see.

Beth3887
Level 2
George, South Africa

We are retired, no kids  here

Do you @Beth3887 have grandkids that may factor in? Not asking for personal information, just a current or maybe future thought….. 

3 adult grandkids 400km away

I profoundly like your dedicated abilities as the post you distributed has some incredible data which is very valuable for me.

@Stephanie.…… ? 🙃

Fabiana223
Level 2
Riverview, Canada

I have a little boy with 15 months old, and I have to say:  - It's not easy for sure! I have a massive job here to manage my home, baby stuff and airbnb.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed and I'm trying to deal with it. 😩

Just breathe @Fabiana223 . Don’t make things difficult for yourself, your child or your guests.  Block days if not getting enough sleep or you need a break…. You’ll be less likely to burn out as well as respond better to guests. This includes being able to sight the “red flags” or troublemakers, along with handling queries via correspondence or boots on the ground…..

The go to method of operating your property’s calendar listing is to have it permanently/generally open.

I on the other hand, have my listings calendar closed “by default” and open only a month or two ahead, at a time. I look at what’s going on in my life and work “incoming” around the crazy or intensely busy times. If it’s financially possible, give yourself extra buffer days between guests and/or allow some “grace” time to prepare the space. Also consider ensuring your calendar requires two or three days advanced notice. If three, that in reality is two days. If a two day advanced notice, that’s at least a true 24 hours. Sounds bizarre but is a fact.