Are you a Host with children?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Are you a Host with children?

Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 14.18.14.png

Hiya everyone,

As some of you know, I’ve got a little one of my own and he can be a right handful, especially when balancing work, buying and selling a house and a plethora of other bits and pieces in the day-to-day. 

This got me to thinking, I wonder what it’s like to handle children when trying to Host, too? Are they supportive co-hosts or hindering “helpers”? I know many of you have kids that are grown up with kids of their own now, which is what has freed up that spare room for you to Airbnb!

Do you have helpful co-hosts or less cooperative kids?

Put me to shame, show me how you keep those plates spinning. I look forward to your stories.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

73 Replies 73
Kathryn537
Level 2
Fort Mill, SC

My 3 children are in school, so totally different animal, but they're a wonderful help when they're not at school, especially when I pay them to help clean! 2 are almost 13 so they're actually helpful. The 9 yr old doesn't get too much action, he's still practicing his chores at home 😊

Only thing I keep needing to remind myself is to put the phone down around them when it's not 'necessary', meaning when not speaking with a guest!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Stephanie , my eldest child has acted as a cohost when we were travelling interstate, or away overnight. When we first started hosting, her children were aged 5 and two 3 year olds! I’m a bit of a control freak, so I’ve never had them assist with cleaning etc, but they have factored into our accepted guests, or how interaction takes place, or even when we’ve asked a guest to leave due to unsafe behaviour.

When they were these younger ages, when on site, they’d have to have “Fairy Feet” rather than elephant ones! That’s because our Airbnb space is below our living space. Although we’ve done what we can to reduce noise, grandies heavy dancing or bouncing off beds etc was never allowed. The grandies had plenty of options available without the heavy noises…….

Only as they got older have they interacted with younger guests, but only when initiated by our vetting. Only in shared spaces with me supervising. 

However, they have had some wonderful experiences with visiting children. Many who have been travelling for a long time, often without much contact with other children, beyond their own siblings. The swimming pool has been a great leveller and friendship maker. 

Afternoon tea or snacks get made, that meet our needs and the guest parents. Things such as fresh popcorn, pancakes etc. 

One family from the U.K. had such a rapport with our three grandies, when ours were probably 8, 6 &6 that we had the guest’s children upstairs in our home, watching kids movies 🍿 with our grandies. Mattresses/ camp beds across the floor and a great time had by all. This actually gave the parents (guests) a few hours by themselves, the first time in a couple of months. Emails were swapped with both sets of parents approval, so the kids could “Penpal”.

Now these particular “grandies” are 10 and 8 & 8 years old. They have had such wonderful experiences of late that they will often ask if our visitors might have some children….. 🙃🙃🙃 Our grandson just wishes for a few more boys, rather than girls! LOL

When vetted, timed and supervised, there can be great benefits for the guests and your family. There is no intrusion, but under the above scenario, there has been cultural understandings, tolerance and short term friendships with a whole lot of fun…. hugs and gifts exchanged on the rare occasion.

For those wondering, I also hold a safely working with children clearance, which I’m happy to show parents, so safety is paramount for all.

BodroomBnB0
Level 2
Muğla, Turkey

When we opened the first Airbnb account on behalf of my wife in 2018, our only son was only 2 years old and he started to accompany us with his tiny body in the rush to prepare our first 3 houses. He also has a lot of fun, even though he sometimes tells us that we care about our guests more than our son. And he says that he is the boss of the job now: ::)) and we are running 150 houses in our business network that has developed in 4 years.
We live airbnb as a family, the sound of Airbnb Notification is the first priority of all of us 🙂

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Stephanie Sorry to be slightly off topic again! But guest checking in today, retired couple, asked if we have trick or treating in the neighborhood and if they should bring some candy. I haven't done that in a while, but said sure. So today need to pick up a pumpkin and candy, but now looking forward to it, as will be something different from the day to day grind and will be fun! After visiting my door I'll direct them to the guest door on the side. It will be a great way to meet some new neighbors, say hi to the ones who already are regular guest, and the kidos get double treats! 

We have done airbnb in our house for 4.5 years now. We took a short break right before the home birth of our now 3 year old. She was 5 months when we opened it back up. She still sleeps with us and the 2 guest rooms are on the other end of the house. Sometimes it's hard to manage noise level and parent while keeping in mind the guests at the same time. Sometimes I wonder if it hinders her. But overall she loves having the guests here, it works well. . .she loves jumping on the beds between linen changes and helps me put the towels and treats on the bed. 

Virginia613
Level 2
Bassett, VA

I don't have children so not sure how to answer this. What I can say is as a mother I think it would make me a little uncomfortable having strangers in my home with my daughter.

Virginia Karr

@Virginia613  I think the intention of the thread was for those who do have children to discuss what challenges they might face in that regard, not to take a poll of how many hosts have children at home. But fine to chime in.

My daughters are all grown with families of their own, so it's not an issue for me, and I'm not sure if I would have hosted when my kids were young. It would depend on what my listing was- a sharing situation or a separate unit. I certainly wouldn't let the kids be with new people without supervision.

Dana225
Level 3
San Diego, CA

I do everything I can to make my houses child-friendly!  

Pasita0
Level 2
Miami Springs, FL

I couldn't have done it when I was taking care of them. I started hosting at the recommendations of my two sons when they went off to college. I had some free time in my hands and a beautiful space to share with others. They gave me lots of encouragement to become a host. I couldn't have done it without their support.

Rafael236
Level 2
La Romana, Dominican Republic

That is an awesome idea!! As an EFL teacher with a language institute, PROENSYS, bringing in the kids to care for would be fantastic. But what are the pros and cons? When guests bring their children  on atrio they mainly do it for the kids.

Syrtara0
Level 2
Jackson, MS

We actually have 7 children. It is difficult to host and try to keep up with littles and teenagers.

But we have tried to make it a family affair. My 15 and 16 year clean. My 14yr old mows the lawn and does minor repairs.  So they are great co hosts.

Now, our littles. I try to allow the to help make beds but it does become more of a hindrance 

@Syrtara0  That sounds great. I see so many parents who expect next to nothing from their teenagers and somehow expect them to one day wake up and miraculously be responsible adults. 

When my kids were little, I wasn't a host, but found they liked "organizing" chores. For instance I gave my 3 year old the job of finding all the shoes that matched from the kicked off pile at the door and lining them all up neatly in pairs. So your little ones might be helpful at tidying up the kitchen utensil drawers and such.

A friend who hosts trained her 19 year old son to clean the Airbnb suite. Sometimes they do it together, sometimes he does it himself if she has to work (nurse, shift work). She said his young eyes were much better than hers, so she'd get him to check things after she did them- "Mom, didn't you see that hair stuck to the shower wall?"  🙂

Marilyn56
Level 2
Austin, TX

No kids, and I do not offer services for them. My little rental room would not be safe for a toddler

BodroomBnB0
Level 2
Muğla, Turkey

Hello

When we first started preparing 3 of our apartments that we could not sell for Airbnb, our son was 2 years old and even furniture decoration rushed with us. He witnessed our discussions with the masters, he made friends with the children of our guests :)) Now he is 8 years old and knows and uses Airbnb as well as we hosts :))