Are you a Host with children?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Are you a Host with children?

Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 14.18.14.png

Hiya everyone,

As some of you know, I’ve got a little one of my own and he can be a right handful, especially when balancing work, buying and selling a house and a plethora of other bits and pieces in the day-to-day. 

This got me to thinking, I wonder what it’s like to handle children when trying to Host, too? Are they supportive co-hosts or hindering “helpers”? I know many of you have kids that are grown up with kids of their own now, which is what has freed up that spare room for you to Airbnb!

Do you have helpful co-hosts or less cooperative kids?

Put me to shame, show me how you keep those plates spinning. I look forward to your stories.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

73 Replies 73
Deniz102
Level 2
İzmir, Turkey

Hi guys, I never had a problem with my child and guests' children. They always played together if same age happily. I think this is because families become low populated in comparison with families in the past. Children feel alone and high-tech addicted somehow. Let them be together and support them for good friendships for a better future.

Best wishes from the Agean Sea,

Deniz

Deniz from the kitesurf paradise 🙂
Robert375
Level 3
Vallejo, CA

I have no problem with it. However, when I stayed in Denmark, as a solo male traveler, a 4 year old child was my host while Mom was at work. It could be a culture thing but I found it concerning that such a young person was letting me in and showing me where the room was.  

@Robert375  You mean a 4 year old was left alone all day while the parents were at work? I find that hard to believe. 

It's illegal and a chiild can be removed from the home by social services if such a thing is reported. 

Surely there was a caregiver in the house with the child?

@Robert375  You mean a 4 year old was left alone all day while the parents were at work? I find that hard to believe. 

It's illegal and a child can be removed from the home by social services if such a thing is reported. I can't imagine such a thing is "cultural" in Denmark.

Even in third world countries where a 7 year old might be tasked with looking after their baby brother while mom is at work, a 4 year old wouldn't be left alone all day.

Surely there was a caregiver in the house with the child, grandma or a babysitter, even if you didn't see them.

Juanita61
Level 2
Bellefontaine, OH

@Juanita61

I personally Do not have children but I stayed at an Airbnb that did. I had came down from my room to get a glass of water and a small child was in the kitchen getting a glass of milk. I tried to talk to him and he didn't speak. As I was going back to my room he said you need to leave. I told him I was a guest and he said I'm going to hit you and then ran up and hit me and said I'm going to hit you again. The second time I caught his hand in mine and said that isn't nice. He ran off after that. I told the host the next morning and he said he was autistic. I would never leave small children around my guest alone if I did have them 🤔.

Linda3395
Level 2
New York, United States

wow i agree i wouldnt leave my kids around my guest either

@Juanita61  I'd say the host is remiss in not alerting his guests to the fact that his son is autistic and may exhibit some unusual or unexpected behaviors. He does neither the guests nor the child any favors by failing to mention this.

And I agree- while I don't see anything wrong with someone who has children hosting, if it's a home share situation, I would never leave small children alone with strangers. An older child can tell the parent right away if a guest has touched them inappropriately, or said something weird or frightening to them, but a child who doesn't have good verbal skills yet, or who could be easily intimidated by a "This is just private between you and me, right?", could be in danger. 

Sean375
Level 3
Jersey City, NJ

No.

Linda3395
Level 2
New York, United States

i started my airbnb in June after many many years of wanting to rent it out or do airbnb and im so happy i did airbnb instead. my kids are 12 and 10 and daughter was supportive of my idea but my son not lol.  he was worried some stranger would be staying in our house but its seperate entrance and door between them and us so it worked out great and they even help me clean the airbnb when i need to or when they want the cleaning money charge lol

Sarah2138
Level 2
New York, NY

Thanks for adding me to this conversation I am a mother but not with a little one. 

Stacey324
Level 2
Kingsbury, TX

My son was 4 when we started our Airbnb.  Right from the beginning he loved it.  He’s very social so having the opportunity to talk with people from all over the world has been amazing for him.  It is hard to explain a stranger to a child when you have strangers on property all the time.  We always say that they come as strangers and leave as friends.  When guests have kids my son takes action.  He has titled himself the “Activities Director”. He helps keep the kids busy while the parents get to take a little break and relax.  Most of our reviews mention my son and how much they enjoyed him being around.  Now at age 8 he helps out more but still greets the guests (now with jokes).  He even has received tips and gifts from guests for his great hospitality.  I am very fortunate to have given my son this opportunity.  

Judi28
Level 2
Wokingham, United Kingdom

I have young grandchildren & they love the strangers who come to grandma’s house!

Lee-and-Chris3
Level 2
Tasmania, Australia

Not quite the "little people" side as mine are teenagers now.

We remote host, but spend time on maintenance and repairs with our kids.

They love going to the house and helping and staying.

I am teaching my teenage daughter the management and finance side of the business.

I wish we'd had the capacity to have done this sooner so we I had income during maternity eave and we had  a portfolio to hand onto the next generation!1627655973672.jpg

71221C53-07B3-41D5-A772-9070F94559D9.jpeg
Yes, teaching my 19 year old how to host! She has learned so much and plans to continue and invest into herself @Lee-and-Chris3 

Abby260
Level 2
Sioux Falls, SD

Hello @Stephanie , 

I have had my ups and downs with kids and cleaning and maintaining operations at our property. My kids are 17, 12, and 11 and can follow directions and work pretty good when they are willing to and in a good mood. I also homeschool them so depending on how busy my day is I have them study at home or bring them with me.

I clean and maintenance our property as well as clean 8 other properties. When I bring my kids with me I set a pay rate per hour that they can make while they are working alongside me. I usually put them on the basic jobs; wiping down door nobs, light switches, table tops, vacuuming, and sweeping. While they partake in these cleaning procedures I am able to make the beds, do laundry, and scrub down any bathrooms.

It is great having helpers because I earn a set pay rate for each cleaning job I do and with their help I can get it done in record timing and move on with the day.

So, in short to answer your questions cleaning with kids can be annoying and would only work if they are able to do the work. But while they are little I think any time with them is valuable and being able to bring them with you is great even if it takes you a little longer.