Are you a full time or a part time host?

Answered!
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Are you a full time or a part time host?

161205-Seasonal_Q3-Beautiful_Coffee-1690.jpg

Hello everyone, 

When you start hosting one of the main things you have to consider is where are you going to find the time from, because as we know from conversation here in the CC, there is often a lot to do!

Some hosts host full-time, some part-time and some even juggling it around existing work commitments. Plus, perhaps your time changes depending on the seasons. 

How do you host? How do you manage your time with other life commitments?

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Thanks,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

1 Best Answer
Sanet11
Level 2
Utrecht, ZA

Good evening everyone!  I am a fulltime host.  Previously I had a guest house in a small North West town in South Africa.  Because of my husband's business, we had to move to KZN and I had to close my guesthouse.  In the meantime, I lost my husband to Malaria and I retired 2 years ago.  That is when I decided to build two self-catering cabins on my property to generate an income for myself as I did not have any other income.  Being older, made me decide on the self-catering which lets met off the hook for preparing meals. 

Make no mistake it is still incredibly hard work!  I do everything myself, from cleaning, laundry, hosting, bookings and everything else on the hospitality list.  For visitors from abroad, it is relatively cheap to visit South Africa.  However, for us, it is really a struggle to survive at this stage as our economy is very, very bad.  I can only afford somebody once a week to help with all the cleaning and I also have a person once a week in the garden, as it is quite extensive and a pretty hard job to maintain and keeping it looking fantastic for my guests.  

As an old Nature Conservation Officer, it is very important for me to live with a very light footprint.  One of the reasons I chose Baby Log Cabins.  

To new hosts, I would like to say the following.  It is hard work, but if you love people it makes it all worth your while.  Keep your place clean and the maintenance up to date, be a friendly host going the extra mile for your guests and you will succeed.  In the beginning, it is easy to get distressed and inpatient when your business takes off slowly.  Marketing is very important then.  Use Social Media as much as possible. In the end, you will not have to market so aggressively because your best advertisement is by mouth.  Keep your standards high and you will be rewarded and blessed.

At this stage, I am incredibly tired as I have not had a break since December 2018.  Hopefully, I will be blessed enough to be able to take a break soon.

May you all have a stunning and prosperous 2020.

View Best Answer in original post

33 Replies 33
Henry376
Level 1
Cambridge, MA

I did host in the Berkshires of Massachusetts next to the huge museum MoCA; but it was only seasonal

and I've now shirted to apartment rental on a yearly basis. The guests were largely weekend for some

versions of a six bedroom house, operated three summers, saw hundreds in all; always good. Henry [Surname hidden]

I am 72 years old and a retired army officer. I have no other income and I expect the income from this can contrbute to my daily needs. Thats the reason I would like to do it full time.

Lauris-and-Gene0
Level 3
Wilmington, NC

After many years of living in other countries, we decided we wanted to return to the US. After some lengthy discussions about our requirements and wish list and after some (mostly online) research, we chose Wilmington, North Carolina (a state we had never been to before) as our next home. We love our new hometown for its small town feel, its plethora of art, theater, music and food opportunities, and its access to the ocean as well as the Cape Fear river. We soon realized however that (1) we had way more house than we needed and (2) we missed the community of international friends. AirBnB has solved both of those issues. We were surprised to have guests nearly every night during our first season. All sorts of different people. Different ages, different backgrounds. From many different places. We have enjoyed it tremendously. We are definitely part-time and I've found that it takes very little time to flip and clean the two guest rooms and bathroom between guests. I communicate a lot in advance of a guest's arrival but that's not a big time consumer. We are usually at home but have an electronic lock system with personal codes for each guest for their convenience. All of our guests have been interesting people. They visit our town for a variety of events and reasons. We've found that maybe a third are very busy and simply want a place to lay their heads, with little or no conversation. The rest are sociable types who spend time in the kitchen talking with us and enjoying the coffee bar. We love hearing about their travels and lives. It's slow here now and I'm looking forward to spring and a full house again.

Andrew1991
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

Ok, I will bite!  I'm an IT pro who works a 40 hour week supporting an entire region of offices as my day job.  We built two ADU's (accessory dwelling units) in 2014 and 2018.  We rent 4 spaces and live in the 5th.  I gross almost the same amount of money from our rentals (been incorporated since 2017 and we get a lot of repeat business.)  We would rather rent as many nights at a cheap price as possible.  Many hosts prefer the opposite.  I don't have the time to handle my day job and my AirBNB - I agree with the others who suggest that you should have a cleaning company and a landscape company at a minimum.  We use August smart locks and invite our guests to use the August app on their smart phone to unlock the door.  I really want to quit my day job but I can't because I will never make this much money ever again.  I'm 50 this year and my company was bought out by a bigger company so the job I have I would have never been hired for.  I wish AirBNB could somehow help provide hosts reasonable health insurance but that would require us to be their employees which is not likely to ever happen.  I like that AirBNB collects and remits occupancy taxes in most municipalities.  VRBO didn't do this which is why I changed to AirBNB years ago.  YMMV