Are you afraid of sharing space with a guest during t his time?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Are you afraid of sharing space with a guest during t his time?

Sadly my other thread went off in a weird and unintended direction, so I hesitate to ask,  but I do want to put this to the community. We have had a couple of guests very happy that we didn't cancel their reservation due to the current health situation. My initial thought was "oh how nice that they are still excited to stay!" but now I wonder if some hosts have been canceling out of concern that they will be infected? All we are hearing is that guests can just get 100% of their funds back,  but are any HOSTS out there canceling reservations? I can see how in a home share situation this might be especially important to navigate, particularly if one is concerned about their risk category.  Any fears about having guests in your space during this outbreak? 

5 Replies 5
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Exactly how I've been thinking in the last couple of days , @Laura2592 ! Today (Monday), I had a lady in South Africa book for Thursday, 3 days hence! - For a 7 day stay! (Will she be allowed to get on a plane? Will there be any planes?) And on Friday I got a 1 day booking for this Saturday from a couple 230 miles away coming as tourists. And I'm still getting old regulars, here for work, mainly in health & social care, plus newbies in nursing & care work. On Saturday, they'll be the tourist couple, the South African lady, AND an at work doctor who stays  a weekend every 2nd or 4th week. All sharing my bathroom!

(Still business as usual at the theatre a field away from the house. On Sunday I'm off to see The Fureys, Irish folk - Old guys! And the audience is likely to be over 60 as well, usually is!) 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

..... the band have just postponed, not the theatre, just the band.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

our group this weekend was partying bachelorettes -- they should have stayed home and I really don't want to clean up after 9 separate potential carriers. So, I'm grateful that my future reservations are all cancelled and I adjusted my calender to have a well-priced 5 day minimum.

But I am fortunate that my budget doesn't require my space to be full.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Laura2592 @Helen350 @Kelly149 

We are now getting cancellations fast and furious, so it's mostly a moot point. However, I have canceled two reservations in our home space, and two at our lake house, one that involved a large group of people traveling from various points in the US through Seattle-- because it seemed like a very bad idea from a societal good standpoint. That guest was not pleased, to say the least. The others have been understanding. I'm also very fortunate that it's not a really hard decision as we will be OK without the income.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

No, I am not afraid at all. I've had a bunch of cancelation but some dates have rebooked quickly (a nurse working long shifts and not wanting to return home every night and a daughter flying in to visit her ailing father.)

But my approaching-70-year-old-parents-with-underlining-health-conditions did just board a plane for a foreign country with increasing cases so we may have to self-quarantine when they get home . . . if they get home.