As a Seasoned and Cynical Host, Why am I so...

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

As a Seasoned and Cynical Host, Why am I so...

I've been an Airbnb host for 3 years and landlord for 20 years.

I am seasoned and cynical. Yet, why am I always so slow to see the scam?

Guests booked for 20 days. Not my preference, but so be it.

Guests had a "service" poodle.  I really don't like that. 

Day 1. Complaints that smoke from previous guests inflamed wife's asthma, but they would suffer for 5 days.

(There was no smoke smell in well-aired unit. Really really hate them and want them gone)

I emailed them that they were more than welcome to leave sooner.

Day 3: demanded extra set of keys. Sigh.

Day 5. They leave. Yeah!   Strangely left a folded up blood-stain sheet inside of my bedding... 

Mind you, this is a sheet that they brought.

Day 10: I get an Airbnb message asking to refund them because Airbnb has "proof" of unclean blood-stained  sheets. 

I know, I know. I should have given them one night free and asked them to leave their 2nd day. I really am slow.

34 Replies 34
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

NOOOOOOO......! Ugh, I can't believe that! So sorry that happened, @Paul154. I would have fell for it too! Did Airbnb refund the entire amount? Wait a minute, of course they did.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Paul154 you didn't see the scam bc you're a good, honorable person

sorry you got stuck by this!

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Paul154   Are you kidding me?  I'm so sorry....that's just inbelievable.  What did you end up doing? Did you refund them?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Paul154  That is just too unbelievable- they brought a sheet, left it covered in blood, carefully folded up between the bedding and then used it to say it was your bedding and they should get a refund? I thought I'd heard everything on these forums, but I'm utterly astounded. 

I'm almost 70 years old, and I've never run into people like this in my life. Is there some facility where they are churning out these alien life-forms? Some new drug everyone's taking that turns them into consciousless, conniving monsters? All to save a few bucks? 

Oh, you are lucky! I had one group of monsters that put food remainings inside the bed:) (canapé). What did they think about? Good for me that I’m using space under the bed and ventilate it very frequently:)

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Paul154 

I totally loathe these types of guests.

If it can happen to you it can easily happen to us all....

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Paul154 I am sorry this happened to you. I would have probably let them stay too unfortunately. Did Airbnb give them a refund? 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Paul154, I’m too stunned to really say what I think. So sorry this happened and that you and the rest of us would fall for this scam. 😡🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Maybe from now on, we might all take the photo of the strange items left and place them in the Airbnb message board.

Photo with commentary, stating:

“I believe you may have accidentally  left a soiled sheet here when you left. I appreciate it is heavily stained by what appears blood, but as it is not mine,  what would you like me to do with it? I can either dispose of it safely on your behalf, or I’m happy to forward it to your address. What is your preference?”

@Cathie19 

Thanks @Cathie19 for great idea, that’s exactly what I will do if it happens to me.

@Susie111, we could even be the best of hosts, and offer to wash it first so it can go through the post. However, we can’t guarantee all stain will be removed.” 

🙌🏼

@Cathie19 

Yeah, right😆

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Paul154 

Don't forget Paul, that its a twenty-something -year old Airbnb employee with practically no experience that's arbitrating this. I can feel your blood pressure rising as I type.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Paul154 

As Sarah said - I thought I've seen all... Jesus!

But I am not surprised, it is globaly known how Airbnb sides with guests and treat hosts unfairly so more and more guests are trying to get a free stays. There are probably entire forums and blogs out there with a single topic " how to stay in an Airbnb for free"

Why?

Because they can.

Happy hosting everyone!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

"Oh look! What nice guests. Instead of bleeding on my sheets, they brought one of their own to bleed on."

Yeah, I would have fallen hard, @Paul154 . 

I hope they get stopped for speeding or something, and the stack of bloody sheets they are carrying around for free stays gets them a free stay in jail while it is investigated.