As a host can I make it clear my political view points? Is that allowed by AIRBB?

Dan700
Level 2
Nipomo, CA

As a host can I make it clear my political view points? Is that allowed by AIRBB?

Is it allowed to openly say that I support LGBT rights, abortion rights, civil rights, Black Lives Matter, you get the idea. And is it ok to post an animation ( on my AIRBNB posting) that shows V.Putin ( a murder as stated by John McCain)  holding a miniture Trump pupet that is dancing? And what about supporting california seccession from USA, as we are hated and its clear that the USA does not want our votes to count the same as other states? ( EC fiasco) . And what about stating that I oppose Neo Nazis, like in Charlotte and to state that members of my own family died in WWII fighting Nazi Germany/Japan? Is that okay? And then there is the talk of a new civil war I have heard ELECTED GOP officals cheerfuly bring up? Can I say that if they want one can I point out we can simply avoid one by not doing business with each other, go our on ways in a peaceable way, forming a new country? Is saying any of this okay? Lastly I didnt want any of this but when I see a president choose Putin/murder as a friend ( over demcratically elected leaders) and claim love for a N Korean dictator/murderer, perhaps its time to take a stand? I recall other GOP presidents that did not choose this path, I was good with that. This new change in the GOP I think is a very different state of affiars and if its civil war they want maybe its time to do the small things that one can to remind them that this is what they are pushing for. In short , these are differnt times , now  we have state run media, a president who claims press is enemy of the people ( ala Joe Stalin) , etc. I think its time to stand up to it at any point you can, even if it cuts into your $$. Chasing more $$ should not make one blind to nor tolerate what is occuring here  in USA. Its called fascism. 

64 Replies 64
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thank you @Inna22 .

My thinking was that if @Dan700  was to include a statement like the one I suggested , those who are uncomfortable with hosts who positively welcome diversity, would self select not to stay with him.

If you want to encourage guests who share your political views or discourage those who don't, or if you want to engage in political discussion, there are more subtle ways of approaching it. Since we are providing a service to guests by opening up our home, and since they are paying us for that service, they are entitled to make the first move when it comes to discussing politics or even talking to the host at all, after we hand over the key. 

I hang this shirt in the guest closet.I hang this shirt in the guest closet.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Dan700   Is not inclusive at all, quite the opposite. He only wants specific people and thinks that political believes are indicator of character. Yes, you should express all of this in the listing so people you are not welcoming, which are more than half the country are not put in the position of being somewhere they are not welcome.  (Your list is large and seems to be all or nothing that’s why I am giving it more than half). You may want to put in your house rules that you check voter ID. Those darn Trump supporters might cheat and pretend they are not just to whizzed their way into your listing. 

Dan700
Level 2
Nipomo, CA

Thanx to all for your comments. I remind you at this point its a hypothetical. As for "inclusion" , should we welcome people wearing a nazi uniform into our homes ( ala Charlotte)  or do we have the right to refuse? In germany I belive that such garb is outlawed. 

As usual there is much misunderstanding over my intent and comments. I like voting. I vote ANYWAY I can. I vote with my dollars also. I also support the idea of boycott. As for engaging in politcal discussions with nearly ANYBODY i rarely do it nor would I seek to do it.  As I stated I am NOT looking to exclude anyone based on there political views. Rather I wish to give THEM enough information about what I stand for to boycott ME ( as a host) if they so desire. 

Consider if I did an airbb as a renter and I show up and they have a Trump flag flying in the front yard.  In the posting this was not shown and of course they have the right to do this. But if I had known in advance this flag was there I would haved found somewhere else to stay. In fact I prefer to BOYCOTT any Trump supporter/biz as is my right to do so. Nothing personal , no need to be confrontaional, just VOTING with my dollars which I have the RIGHT to do, correct?. 

In the reverse , if I am host I seek to find a way to let them know where I stand, not thru conversation nor confrontation , so they can go elsewhere if they wish. 

As for  " my high horse" (Paul154), in my polical views, I see my country in peril, I feel a need to act in ways I can and lastly I have become a advocate of USA splitting up as I feel not enough in common on too many issues.  Just read here on this site and many others the level of unmitgated hatred of California. Its a near constant level of bashing . I was born in California, a lifelong resident, it has flaws, its big , its diverse and i do feel the level of hatred I have  read from commenters ( here and elsewhere) is misguided and misplaced. Better to let us go our own way. peaceably if possible.

To summarize , I see a party, a faux news network,  and a man bent on driving a wedge into american society based on political lines. Rather than complaining and begging for this to stop , which they will never do, I have decided to accept it and DRIVE that wedge anyway I can with the goal of seperation from them.  I see little common ground possible nor rational aurgument with that group ( which I would remind some commenters here is LESS than half of USA population ) . And that includes voting with my $$ and as a host allowing THEM to vote with thier $$.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Dan700 yes, I completely misunderstood. I naively thought you were seeking advice and were open to discussion but you just wanted to proclaim your righteousness. You think you are tolerant and kind because you are accepting of LGBTQ community or because you want to help illegal immigrants or whatever else is on your list. But a truly tolerant and kind person would also accept someone who has different views and will be open to discussion. You will not convert anyone by boycotting them. But then you did say your goal is to drive a wedge. 

@Inna22   Well stated.  I hold many of the same views as @Dan700  however I have determined that many people I love and respect may not hold the same views.  I will not vilify people for their different views as I see the destruction that extremism has.  

No interest in vilifing anyone for their political views, I will leave that to the Trump supporters. I am intertested in voting with my $$ and giving others the chance to do so if they wish to. I have made that very clear. Check my text here , I dont think villification comes to mind, disagreement yes, seeking a seperation , yes, Seperation seeking is not vilification , last I checked. Making it clear where I stand is not villifcation either, if done with tact.

Dan700
Level 2
Nipomo, CA

Inna22;  We all have the right to vote with our dollars , correct? I do support the issues I mentioned. I mentioned them as a possible way to let others know where I stand politcally. I have taken the time to answer you , respectfully. You have the right to formulate any opinion of me you desire, but If you check my replies here , and elsewhere, I try fo rthe high road in conversations. I do believe there is no way to reach out to Trump supporters. I view that polical viewpoint closer to religion. I also do see the wedge they are driving. Selling hate is easy. Selling tolerance is not. I dont hate people form other states nor of diffing veiwpoints , I seek not converts ( no hope for that) but rather seperation. That is my political goal. It does not mean I dont have friends with different polictcal views. I do. But I come from the time of the 1960's and watched my politcal heros die from assination on TV. Politics for me is serious , my own politcal hopes and dreams in many ways died with those same people. I would add my decision to advocate seperation came slowly and matured once Trump was president and the wedge was being pushed. I come from a family of different politcal views, I can say I was fine with many GOP presidents, Esienhower, Regan, Ford and Senior Bush. But with Trump I realized that facist ideology can happen here. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Dan700 

Dan, what ever you say you are going to offend someone because you are too passionate. Guests have no interests in your political views no matter how well meaning you think they are and not too many things will put a potential guest off faster than someone who wants to pick a fight over something or other. 

Dan I have gay daughter, and by far my best guests have been gay couples, particularly more elderly male couples. They are extremely clean and respectul, have an outrageous sense of humour and are scrupulously honest. But I make no mention of this in my listing description. Of course I have my beliefs and they are possible just as powereful as yours Dan but, in my hosting, I am not a left or a right, I am not a wet or a dry.....I am just me.

I don't host genders.....I don't host political pursuasions.......I just host humans....and at that I seem to be relatively successful!

Cheers......Rob

Robin, I see you are in Austrilia? Beatiful place, hope to visit before I kick the bucket. I dont know if you read this in the comments above or below , so I decided to visit it again. Are you aware people fly Trump flags here in USA at there reisdences? It happens. I have seen them. If i arrive at a hosted site and find one a politcal statement has been made with no words being exchanged, correct? As the renter I have just discovered I have given my $$ to a Trump supporter, something I would not have done if I had known in advance that Trump flag was there. Is it legal to fly that flag? Yes. Is it against AIRBB rules to fly that flag? DOnt know , but I suspect not. Can everyone ignore that flag and talk about the weather. Of course. But my point is this: I would have rather known AHEAD of time that flag was there ( they could show a pic of it in posting). I simply would not have stayed there no mattter how nice and sweet those peope are as I desire to vote with my dollars. Perhaps I am too politcal for most here, but that can happen when you live through the 1960's in uSA and see your politcal heros assinated on TV.

Dan700
Level 2
Nipomo, CA

Rob: I have no intention of having a political discussion with anybody, esp strangers. Perhaps you you did not read all I have posted here? I seek to vote with dollars and wish to allow others to do so also. As for the confusion between "intolerance" and advocating a polical division in USA ( aka succession, which I do) they are not the same(others here have more or less equated them) for example: Many native Hawaiians want their own coutry back , are  they intolerant?  As for my AIRBB goal , its simple, I seek to put enough information in my postings for them to figure out where I stand and if they wish they can go there own way. I dont need to discuss it with them or would I. In fact I NEVER bring up politics with people I dont know. I went on here to find out AIRBB rules , some have said I cant do this or that , but mainly its been a conversation of misunderstanding and members saying AIRBB is no place for politics.  . Before Trump I might have agreed, not now.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Dan700 many experienced hosts gave you the same answer here. Since you asked for advice I believe that the fact that none of us would go down that route should mean something. You definitely can write that down as your description but expect very few bookings and it is probably a matter of time before somebody who doesn't share your views reports your profile. When people search for places to book they don't care what the host believes in, they want a comfortable and clean space. I would avoid hosts who are so detailed about their beliefs even if I share them. 

I believe its possible to do what I need to do to allow thoughtful guest to figure it out without offending most of them or violating AIRBB rules.  You do not. Its pretty simple. The advice I sought was related to what is permitted. I received very little of that.  Instead I have been offered advice on moderating my political temperment, which is not what I seek to do. I see you are in Macedonia? People here in USA fly Trump flags, did you know that? Its entirely possible to arrive at hosted site and find one. Is that against AIRBB rules? I suspect not. Has a politcal conversation taken place? I would say yes it has, yet no words were exchanged. Speaking for myself I would say that I would not want to stay there, but if I did I would find a unsaid politcal statement upon arrival, correct? 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Dan700 did you read the part where I said that you definitely can write everything you want down? You may have missed it, there is the answer to your question. Everything else is just advice on how to maximize your revenue. But if you are more interested in sharing your beliefs that earning while hosting then you better start on your description. Good luck! 🙂 

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Hi @Dan700 , I was preparing a long post in reply.. too rambly, never got finished. Suffice to say, I agree with much of what you say.

“Before T**** it was different.” <--- Exactly. (Sorry, I can't bring myself to mention his name.)

I don't see how Airbnb can stop you from describing yourself and your listing in such a way as to find the best fit with a guest. Is there anything in their terms & conditions which states you can't discriminate against white supremacists?! *off to have a look*